Is 3G on Ipad really that slow?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by carola4700, Jan 26, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2011
    I want to buy the ipad but also don't want wireless in my house so I have been asking about 3G option in apple store. I hear many different opinions. I know it is a little slower than wireless but some folks say MUCH slower and others say it's really fine. I would mostly be using just for browsing on Safari or firefox. I also heard that even with simple browsing (no email or move watching), you use up the MGB so quickly that the $25 just won't be enough in a one month period. Does anybody have any comments about this?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 5, 2010
    3G will not be 'a little slower'. It will be far, far slower (not to mention more expensive). Why is it you do not want wireless?
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2011
    Is 3G on Ipad slow

OK. YOu've convinced me that it will be too slow to really enjoy. It's strange that the apple store people didn't explain that to me. The wireless costs $6 extra a month and i believe I have to pay time warner $100 to install it. I considered buying the airport express but if something goes wrong with the wireless, I wouldn't have any tech support whereas I do with time warner.
  4. macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2009
    LOL got to best buy, cheap linksys, set up your own network, waste of a $100, lol, read up a little
  5. macrumors regular

Jan 25, 2005
    I don't thing I would enjoy my iPad without 3G service. It depends where you live but I get about 2mbps download which is better than no internet on the go. But yes you need a wifi setup while at home.
  6. macrumors newbie

Jan 31, 2011
    Totally new to this technology. I will post a question here because I can't find how

I live in a remote part of Alaska. Purchased a 3G 32Gig iPad. I want to download past seasons of television series through I tunes and play them on a television (smart) similar to a DVD player. I was told AT&T would shut me off because it would be to much downloading even though I have their $25. month service. I do not want to store programs on iPad because I will delete after I watch. What is best way to accomplish this?
  7. macrumors newbie

Jan 31, 2011
    almighty now

There is no internet available other than 3G.
  8. macrumors G4

Night Spring

Jul 17, 2008
    AT&T's $25 plan is good for 2GB of data transfer per month. An episode of a one-hour TV show is... well, the one I have is around 750MB. So downloading about 2 and a half episodes of a TV show will use up your monthly data allowance. I think you can buy another 2GB by paying AT&T another $25, but really, at that rate, I think you'll be better off buying the show on DVDs.
  9. macrumors newbie

Jan 31, 2011
    thank-you Night Spring

Thank-you night spring. That was what I needed to know. Will buy series next time when in the city.