Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steven Jackson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Lincoln, U.K.
Hi,

I'm just about to order a new iMac from the Apple online store. Is it worth paying the quite sizable extra for 3GB of RAM?

I don't use any "power" apps, like Final Cut or Photoshop, but both my wife and I will use the computer regularly, hopefully using Fast User Switching...

So, any real advantage of 3GB over the much cheaper 2GB option?

Cheers,

Steve.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Just get the 2Gb, it is the most sensible option for what you described. I have 2Gb and only hit ram limitations while watching tv, listening to music and playing football manager with a huge database all at the same time (easily bored).

ebouwman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2007
lots of RAM is only worth it if your going to have Apps to eat it. Just like how you wouldn't go to a restaraunt and buy lots of extra food if you weren't going to eat it.

I personaly would go for the 2GB of RAM but thats just me, and I'm the only one using my computer so no fast user switches, and i usually don't have that many Apps running at one time, I don't know how you use your computer.

McGarvels

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
Definitely do not get 3GB of RAM. It is a waste of money. Instead, consider upgrading the video card (if you are getting the 20" or 24" iMac) or even upgrading the processor if you have that kind of money to spend. Definitely do upgrade to 2GB of RAM though, however, you will save some money by buying 3rd party RAM (Crucial is pretty good and recommended here on MR) and installing it yourself (very easy, trust me).

Cheers!

Steven Jackson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Lincoln, U.K.
Thanks for the quick replies... I'll go with the 20", 2GB RAM, faster processor, 256mb graphics, and 500gb HDD. Can't wait...

(...but I bet iLife and iWork are released the day it arrives...)

Cheers,

Steve.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Definitely do upgrade to 2GB of RAM though, however, you will save some money by buying 3rd party RAM (Crucial is pretty good and recommended here on MR) and installing it yourself (very easy, trust me).

Orcalogic:£117
Crucial:£121
Apple:£120

Not much of a saving, but you do get to sell the installed ram i suppose.

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
Even though the price difference between Apple RAM and lets say, Crucial RAM, isnt that big you still get the old RAM which you could sell for some money to make up the difference.

kixsand

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2007
Toronto
Thanks for the quick replies... I'll go with the 20", 2GB RAM, faster processor, 256mb graphics, and 500gb HDD. Can't wait...

(...but I bet iLife and iWork are released the day it arrives...)

Cheers,

Steve.

I just went through the same decision making process and came to the same conclusion that everyone is offering here. 2 gb of ram was the value sweet spot for me. I don't think there are many apps out there that would require 3 gb of ram today...that may change, and if it does you'll be able to buy a 2gb stick for a lot less than you will pay today.

Darren

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
Sometimes there are unnanounced media events or releases. Macbooks were pretty much a silent release as was the new Airport Extreme. Alot of releases are silent, but like it has been said before you shouldn't wait for the next update to buy because you will never buy anything!

Steven Jackson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Lincoln, U.K.
Yeah, I know the old arguments about not waiting for updates because you'll actually never buy anything, and I kind of agree with them, but I would still be a bit fed-up if I got a new computer and something better came out for the same price just a few days later.

Steve.

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
I think in this case since it is only six days away you should wait just to be safe, but after that click the order button and wait for your brand new Mac to arrive at your doorstep.

ebouwman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2007
Sometimes there are unnanounced media events or releases. Macbooks were pretty much a silent release as was the new Airport Extreme. Alot of releases are silent, but like it has been said before you shouldn't wait for the next update to buy because you will never buy anything!

So true!!
You just kind of have to go for it i guess, but if u think theres going to be a release on the 20th then just wait the 6 days, thats not too long, but then again i wouldnt' want to wait:p buying new computers makes be get pretty excited and impatient.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
No.

If you need so much ram you will be better off buying a Mac Pro due to its huge number of memory slots. At least 1gb sticks are a lot cheaper than 2gb sticks!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Yeah, I know the old arguments about not waiting for updates because you'll actually never buy anything, and I kind of agree with them, but I would still be a bit fed-up if I got a new computer and something better came out for the same price just a few days later.

Steve.

I say buy it. If anything, on Feb 20th we'll see an update to the Mini. Cmon people, what radical new technology is already out that can be put into the iMac? Even then, you might be able to return it if there is an update (which realistically, the chances are 1 in 1000)

michaelverdin

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2007
3GB ram definitely makes a big difference, the only people who will tell you it doesn't are the jealous ones ( or those who don't like odd numbers) i think it suits my iMacs 2.33GHz processor though:D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.