Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nia3088

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Japan
As the title suggests, I'm wondering whether the 4k iMac is worth an extra $200?

I'll be upgrading from a late 2010 13" MBA so both 1080p and 4k will be a massive step up for my eyes.

I know that for my kind of usage (office productivity, casual photo and video editing, light gaming, movies, etc) anything is OK, but I would like to get the most out of my money if I'm spending so much. Of course, a 4k screen will make doing all the things I do look better but is that really worth $200?

Thanks in advance for your help!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I agree, the 4k display is a nice step up and I'd recommend the move to that over the non-4k version.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Well, I would gage how much photo and video work you do since the 4k does not have a discreet graphics card. For me personally, I'd say no (I am in the same boat as the OP very light photo and video work, movies, writing) and I am doing fine on a non-retina machine.

While I cannot really jump now, I'm looking at either 2013 27" non retina or a 21.5" 2015 non retina maxed out ram and 2gb fusion drive. That's a $450 difference between non retina and retina for me and that's huge (even more $ saved if I go with the 2013 27" non retina from Best Buy.)

If you really think you need that screen OP, go for it, but perhaps take a look at both in store if your needs aren't demanding the 4k.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Well, I would gage how much photo and video work you do since the 4k does not have a discreet graphics card. For me personally, I'd say no (I am in the same boat as the OP very light photo and video work, movies, writing) and I am doing fine on a non-retina machine.

While I cannot really jump now, I'm looking at either 2013 27" non retina or a 21.5" 2015 non retina maxed out ram and 2gb fusion drive. That's a $450 difference between non retina and retina for me and that's huge (even more $ saved if I go with the 2013 27" non retina from Best Buy.)

If you really think you need that screen OP, go for it, but perhaps take a look at both in store if your needs aren't demanding the 4k.

I bought the 27" non-retina back in early September and I have no regrets with the machine. It replaced a 13" rMBP and honestly I sit far enough back from the screen that you can't really tell the difference. The screen itself is gorgeous and the machine runs great.

Apple is selling the 27" non-retina model for $1429 on their refurbished store. That's a great deal IMO.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I bought the 27" non-retina back in early September and I have no regrets with the machine. It replaced a 13" rMBP and honestly I sit far enough back from the screen that you can't really tell the difference. The screen itself is gorgeous and the machine runs great.

Apple is selling the 27" non-retina model for $1429 on their refurbished store. That's a great deal IMO.

Thank you. I have to wait until other financial obligations are sorted though. I will consider it, considering the specs that 27" is what I need, not more.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
If you spend a lot of time reading things on your computer, the retina screen will be useful.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The thought that comes back to me, is will you regret not buying the 4k display. That is, once the dust settles, and the new purchase honeymoon is over. Will you look at the iMac and have some level of buyer's remorse?

dljor

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
It's definitely worth it! Even for $500! or $1000. Trust me.

No matter how far away you sit from your screen, you'd tell the difference, especially on text.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Nia3088

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Japan
Thanks for all your replies!

The thought that comes back to me, is will you regret not buying the 4k display. That is, once the dust settles, and the new purchase honeymoon is over. Will you look at the iMac and have some level of buyer's remorse?

I think this is very true, and I can imagine myself regretting not getting the 4k display, but not really imagine myself patting myself on the back thinking that I saved $200 by going with 1080p.

So...I've just ordered the 4k iMac with 256gb SSD! Moving my main computing from a 2010 13" MBA to a 21.5" iMac will probably take some getting used to even without a Retina screen though! Ha!

Thanks once for your advice!

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
nice, good for you, you will have big difference, the real estate and the display it self

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks for all your replies!

I think this is very true, and I can imagine myself regretting not getting the 4k display, but not really imagine myself patting myself on the back thinking that I saved $200 by going with 1080p.

So...I've just ordered the 4k iMac with 256gb SSD! Moving my main computing from a 2010 13" MBA to a 21.5" iMac will probably take some getting used to even without a Retina screen though! Ha!

Thanks once for your advice!
I usually put myself in similar situations when looking to buy a computer and try to envision if there would be any regret on any configuration choices.

Good luck with your iMac, I think the 4k model is a beautiful computer and the screen is gorgeous :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.