Is 512->1GB on an old 1.25 mac mini worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by talz13, Jul 16, 2006.

1. talz13 macrumors newbie

May 22, 2005
    I've had my 1.25ghz mini since last may and recently it's just begun to feel a bit sluggish. I run opera with lots of tabs, and mail, ichat, chicken of the vnc, and preview are usually open. I also use photoshop and the gimp from time to time, but it gets pretty bogged down with swapping when I do that.

When I first got it, I put my old 512mb stick in and it was definitely much better than 256, but will getting a 1gb stick to replace the 512 be worth the ~$120 price?

I don't have the money to afford much more than that right now, so getting a new machine is out of the question, but I don't want to spend this money if it's not going to be a big difference.
  2. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    That's a good amount of apps you are running there. I'd say that the upgrade is definitely worth it. 512 MB is the bare minimum OS X users should have anyway. So yes, I say spring for it! :)
  3. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Yes, that upgrade is quite worth it talz13! Adding more RAM to your 1.25GHz Mac Mini G4 should really help boost it's performance. :)
  4. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    Go for it, 1GB sticks of DDR memory don't cost much nowadays :p