Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac0054

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Hi!
I bought a 1.83ghz white macbook today with 512mb ram. Should be getting it in a week..
I'm getting a bit worried that the ram might not be enough. In the first place I ordered it with 512mb because I'm only going to use the macbook for 'light' things like surfing the web, word, music and storing my pictures.
I never use for instance PhotoShop...
Will 512mb still be enough or should i still upgrade it to 1GB?
Do any of you others have any experience with the macbook using only 512mb?
Thanks!

Planner Dude

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
there are plenty of threads around here that talk about this subject...do a quick search to find out how well each mb configuration did with certain apps or games

the bottom line is that 512 is the bare minimum.

it's better to get the extra RAM from a third party anyway (like new egg)...Apple RAM is a ripoff.

So try your MB and then if it is not to yor liking--order more ram---Don't sweat it...you made a good decision

mdickson

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2006
Baton Rouge, La.
I bought my 2.0 white macbook stock with 512mb of ram. It worked alright but I didn't think I was taking full advantage of the processor.

I upgraded to 1.25gigs of ram by buying a 1gb stick of g.skill from newegg.com for about 80 bucks. I can really tell a difference.

So, in summary, if you can afford it without too much of a financial strain, then buy a gig stick online.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I would say unless ALL you do is internet/e-mail, no, it's not enough at all, especially when rosetta starts up.

Planner Dude

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
You say that you use Word...Is that M$ Word?
If so, that is a non-native app and runs under rosetta, which is amemory hog.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I would up the machine with a 1gb chip (total 1.5gb). You gotta thing long term on RAM upgrades cause if you upgrade to only 1gb in 2 years you'll waste more money on moving it up higher.

512mb will get old fast so I would consider getting more RAM.

mac0054

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Okej, thanks for helping me out. Since I can afford the 1GB I guess I will upgrade my MB right away when I get it.
I've used Windows for the last 5 years and switched to Mac now, so I'm looking forward to good mac experiences!

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
i say yes, because i had several app running and several of them crashed with only one 512 stick in my mbp

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I would say upgrade the ram otherwise you will have a lot of beachballing. The more ram the better :) or as much as you can afford

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Yes, you need more RAM, your intent to do anything with photos tells me that. Buy the 1GB stick, but notice that this will give you 1.25GB, not 1.5 as mentioned above, since Apple puts two 256MB sticks in.

You should keep the stock 256MB stick you remove in case you have problems. You would want to reinsert it before going to Apple for any repairs.

Dr. Technology

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2006
I just got my new MacBook yesterday with 512 MB RAM. I'm finding that any application that's not optimized for Intel (ie. MS Word) takes a while to start up -- in fact, even longer than it takes on my G3 iBook. I was planning to upgrade tp 2 GB RAM before, and I certainly haven't changed my mind.

Coolerking

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
JAT said:
Yes, you need more RAM, your intent to do anything with photos tells me that. Buy the 1GB stick, but notice that this will give you 1.25GB, not 1.5 as mentioned above, since Apple puts two 256MB sticks in.

You should keep the stock 256MB stick you remove in case you have problems. You would want to reinsert it before going to Apple for any repairs.

Or just get the 1 Gig option. Its not THAT expensive.

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
Well, I'm not sure if you need to up the RAM right away, as you are not doing anything memory intensive, but if you can afford it I would go up to a GB, especially since - as someone else mentioned - 512 will "get old" very soon.

Stop by crucial.com and see what they charge; they are very reputable and I have had good experiences with them. In any case RAM is cheap these days... I remember upgrading my Powerbook in 1993 to 8MB from 4... 4MB cost almost $300! :eek:

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
mac0054 said:
Hi!
I'm getting a bit worried that the ram might not be enough. In the first place I ordered it with 512mb because I'm only going to use the macbook for 'light' things like surfing the web, word, music and storing my pictures.

Easy answer - this machine should be as fast as you want it to be.

Use it for a week or two. If you feel it is kind of slow, yes you need more RAM. If you're happy with it, you don't need RAM at this point.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
My rule is, an OSX running machine with integrated graphics requires 2GB of ram....minimum

CyberB0b

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
mac0054 said:
I'm only going to use the macbook for 'light' things like surfing the web, word, music and storing my pictures.

Yes, 512mb will be enough RAM for 'light' things.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
512 is not enough, IMO. i would go for at least 1GB.

of course, i'm the guy who can never get enough RAM and is constantly checking RAM usage.

mahonmeister

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Redlands, CA
daneoni said:
My rule is, an OSX running machine with integrated graphics requires 2GB of ram....minimum

I helped get my neighbor a Mac mini core solo with 1GB RAM and it was plenty fast for internet, music, and photos. I think for what this guy needs 2GB is overkill. Besides, 2GB is the max RAM you can get for Apple's integrated machines, at least for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.