Is 6GB of RAM good for everything other than video editing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sgfernandez, Oct 27, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Hey everyone. I just purchased a new late 2011 MacBook Pro (15 inch model, 2.2GHz i7, 4GB RAM) and almost splurged on buying an 8GB RAM module from OWC. However, it costs $300 dollars and I already have an extra compatible 4GB module I could put into the computer to make 6GB. I don't do any serious video editing or photo editing (maybe on occasion, if that). Apart from that, would 6GB be sufficient for multitasking and some game playing (the Sims 3 basically)? Or would there still be significant improvement with more RAM, given what I use the computer for? Thanks in advance!

2. macrumors regular

Lee Adama

$300 for 8GB Ram? I just purchased some for $50 last night on Amazon!

What kind of ram are you pricing? That seems very high compared to the prices I see on ram.

3. macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

300 bucks!?
    add couple hundred and you can get a 16GB with that lol
    My Corsair 8GB is only 37 bucks lol

4. thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well since the MBP only has 2 RAM slots, and my idea was to upgrade to 12GB of RAM (I already have a 4GB stick), I woukd need an 8GB stick to make 12. A single stick with 8GB on it is a lot more expensive. I looked at other world computing as well as eBay and amazon

5. macrumors regular

The performance gain of 12gb vs. 8gb is so low compared to the added 250$ you would have to pay to reach that (if you don't max out the 8gb that is).

But a paired 4gb kit, than you have 8gb dual channel, which is even faster than 4gb+8gb.

6. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice! It didn't occur to me that the 4+4 pair would be faster than 8+4! I just bought another 4gb stick from OWC (identical to the 4gb stick I already bought from OWC) to make 8GB thanks to your help. And it was around 32 dollars. WAY better than the $300 I almost wasted!

7. macrumors regular

Good to know, that would have been indeed wasted money. Unless you are a real power user, the 8gb will last a while and the price/benefit ratio is much better.

You can check the page-out value under the memory tab in the activity monitor. If there are high values (more than 1gb e.g.) then you are limited by RAM.