Is 6th gen worth waiting for?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dominicansrul93, Jun 3, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

Right now I have a 2GB Nano. its almost completely full and i really need a bigger iPod.The problem is that i don't know when the 6th gen iPod is goin to be released. If the 6th is goin to be released during the summer or in WWDC then i can hang on and wait. If not then I ill probably have full ipod for a while. If it is goin to be released later on in the year, is it worth waiting for?:confused:

2. macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

That's up to you. Nobody knows when the 6th gen will be released, what it'll look like, or what new features will be introduced. If you're happy with the current gen and you really need more space, buy now and be pleased. Otherwise, wait.

Personally, I predict a new iPod late this year - in time for Christmas sales. But that's not based on any actual fact, so I wouldn't hold your breath. I really don't see one coming out before then, though, because it would compete against iPhone sales. Just my $.02.

3. macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Given what we've seen of the iPhone, I'd say the 6th Gen iPod is likely going to be the most dramatic generation we've ever seen the iPod go into. I'm with xfiftyfour on the fact that we'll likely see it before the holiday season. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a special event in late September/early October like we've seen the last two years. This will be an iPod for the ages.

4. macrumors 65816

mrat93

About now, you can probably get an older full sized model with the money you can get for your 2gb Nano.

5. macrumors regular

i guess apple will first push the iphone as the 6th generation ipod.

after a few months there will be an upgrade with touchscreen and all the bells and whistles.

just bought an 80 gb ipod two weeks ago. dont wanna miss all the audiobooks and stuff i listened to so far!

if you need it now, buy it now.

if not, not.

6. macrumors G4

Mord

Unless you ~really~ want video capability which isn't even guarenteed just get one now, or just get an old 4g ipod from ebay on the cheap to tide you over.

7. macrumors 6502

do you think the 6g iPod will have wifi capabilities...no email and no phone...but wifi-just to search the web? because if so, i am sold. the iPhone is cool in all its glory but 8gb isnt gonna cut it but if a 80 gb touchscreen like iPhone iPod came out with wifi...im all on it! so do you think the 6G iPod will have web capabilites or strictly a music player?

8. macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Honestly, no one knows. Maybe after the iPhone has been released we'll start hearing some rumors about the new iPod, but even then they're just that: rumors. Is it possible? Of course. But it's way too early for anyone here to be able to tell you whether it's likely or not.

9. macrumors Core

Dagless

One thing is pretty much a certainty - the top end 6th Gen iPod (or even a 5th Gen revision) will house a 100gb HDD.

It's hard to say if its worth waiting for. I bought the 80gb model for £200 from Amazon a short while ago, realising my iTunes had quite a bulky collection of videos. I honestly can't see where they're going to go either. I've said before but I seriously doubt we'll see an iPhone style iPod for a while. No doubt a fullscreen 'pod is coming though. My guess?

Slightly enhanced design of 5G. 100gb. Direct Apple Remote compatibility. Video resolution and bitrate ceiling raised. Backlit wheel icons. Possible BT/WiFi for syncing contacts, wirelessly exchange pictures (not music or video). Typical longer battery life etc...

10. macrumors regular

im waiting, im using a mini, with no way to show off the vids i make with final cut! but im still waiting for the new ones.

11. macrumors 68000

iToaster

That 6 Gen. iPod should kick butt, the problem is that with a large touch screen and HD, there will be a little issue with battery life. I'd love to see wifi in an iPod, but it reamins a mystery... darn it time, let me go where I want to.

12. macrumors 6502a

my guess is in november for the sixth gen

13. macrumors 6502

I would say go ahead and get one of the ones now. If there are a lot of new features with the next ipod, there are most likely gonna be a few problems with them. That, and the fact that they wont be out for a while.

14. macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I'm still debating about waiting for one. I had a 5th gen 60GB iPod, but the guys that recovered my car (i was in a car accident early last week) likely stole my iPod for a few reasons.. needless to say im short of one and now have a check from my aunt to get a new iPod of choice. I want to wait because i now have the chance to upgrade to what should be some amazing tech, but i also don't think i want to wait months and months for something that may not be THAT great...

I know the 5th is a good piece of tech so i may just buy a refurbed 80GB from Apple.com, especially since feel like the iPod college deal is to reduce stock in anticipation of a new release, but that also suggests i'd have to wait until AT LEAST September since those deals go through the summer...

6G iPods are enticing but im not sure the wait is worth months since i am now iPodless :(

15. macrumors 6502a

im in the same situation, im gonna wait it out because i dont wanna get one now and then have the 6th gen come out and be sick.

i it will come out after the iPhone i think.

16. macrumors 6502

i am close to buying the 80 GB ipod now so I can fit all of my music on it. but then like you said, i don't want to get one now and then a few months down the road the 6th gen comes out.

17. macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

ive decided to wait until the 6G comes out but in the meantime i will probably buy a refurbed shuffle for $49 or Nano 2GB for $109, though since im buying a full size iPod i may just cheap out and go shuffle...

TimJim, it will definitely come out after iPhone, i don't see them updating until at least September since the College iPod deal is a way of reducing their stock over the summer so not too many last gens are piled up... that may be something to consider if you're waiting. I'd love a WWDC surprise release but my gut and business sense just says otherwise...:(

18. macrumors 6502

I think a dynamic like the Macbook vs. the MBP will start to happen. iPhone will get all the cool features and iPod will be sort of cool. In my eyes, that means that a full-screen pod is on the way, but probably it won't support any extra connectivity than the old ones, nor much more in functionality, except a nice big screen.

Time-wise, who knows? I didn't expect MBP updates so soon after the new Macbooks. Just before xmas would be a good time for some sort of iPod-update and a reasonable amount of time to not cannibalize iPhone-sales.

19. Retired

psychofreak

I'm waiting for 6G, the iPod pales in comparison to the features shown in the iPhone...and I trust this 'blown away' statement :)

20. macrumors 68040

MattG

I'd say so. I've got an iPod Photo 60gb that I've been just itching to upgrade, but nothing significant enough has come out for me to spend the money. I'm hoping 6G will be like an iPhone, only without the phone and greater capacity. If that's the case, then I'm sold.

21. macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

No phone, but do you think it will be like the iPhone in that it has internet capabilities over just plain WiFi? I think THAT would be awesome, giving the iPod another 'killer app' type of feature for the next few months until competition emulates it. I really hope the 6G is iPhone-like with a big capacity, cool screen effects/quality, and stuff like same good user interface and hopefully good battery life... it can't be too perfect though that's not Apple-like :rolleyes:

22. thread starter macrumors regular

Well I guess Im gonna wait until the new one. I dont really need the wifi and all those things. All i would like is the new touchscreen and the iPhone interface and stuff like coverflow.

23. macrumors regular

Ok,
    Im a 15 year old, A*/+ (depending upon where in the world you come from) business stuides student. I have done 2 pieces of my GCSE coursework on Apple and the iPod and its blaitantly obviouse that the 6th Generation iPod will feature a multi-touch widescreen screen. I mean think about it. Apple has already achieved this with the iPhone along with full screen videos and widescreen iPod capabilities. Apple is bound to incorporate these into the 6th Generation iPod.

Now, im 15, and even I can tell that, so stop umming and ahhhing... its sooo unbelievably obvious!:D

24. macrumors 65816

chaos86

Ok, so you've shown some logic: apple has the work already done in making a full touch screen ipod.

But that doesn't mean anything. Here's my logic. If apple releases a $300 ipod with most of the coolness of the iPhone (let's say, full screen, video, coverflow, wifi, web, etc, no phone), then why would people buy the iPhone? I'm not going to buy the iPhone for over $200 more just because its a phone too. I can buy a Phone for a lot less than $200. It's logical to think that Apple will cripple the next iPods, make them less than they possibly can be, so that they don't compete with the iPhone. Even if the iPod doesnt have the web functionality, more than $200 difference (I say more than because of the contract) is way too much for me.

Come back with some manufacturing orders or some photos of devices being tested or some references in deep in some itunes update that proves it, otherwise I'm not holding my breath. I think we'll see updates soon, just not web or phone, and maybe not even full touchscreen.

25. macrumors member

my guess is 6th gen iPod in november (before christmas season)