Is $800 a good deal for a 400Mhz TiBook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ELYXR, Jan 17, 2003.

1. ELYXR macrumors regular

I was offered a 400Mhz TiBook for $1000, but I talked the guy down to $800. It's in excellent shape, is that a good deal? It only has 8MB of VRAM, 384MB of SDRAM, 10GB Harddrive, DVD-ROM... no warranty.

Isn't it totally obsolescent? Am I wasting my time? :confused:

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Personally, i'd spend the extra $200 to get a new iBook. i'm not sure if this is a good deal or not, i've no idea the resale value of specific models, but i will say that warranty is worth it's weight in gold... anyway the iBook would be like twice as fast, and be able to support Quartz Extreme, which is a good thing. Your only real downside to an iBook is the screen size, as well as a couple of connectivity limitations.

pnw

3. altair macrumors regular

I would also buy an ibook instead. 400mhz is pretty old. Save your money and buy an ibook.

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I disagree, $800 is an excellant price for a 400mhz Tibook. If nothing else buy it and resell it on ebay, it'll go there for about a grand.

5. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Or more...My girlfriend was thinking about selling her 500 MHz iBook on eBay and found that some fool just recently bid $900 for someone's 344 MHz clamshell.

I hope that fool isn't a member here. But if they are, then I meant "fool' in the kindest most endearing way.

6. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Huh. Interesting info. I was debating sellin' my old 400mhz TiBook: it's got 768mb RAM, 20gig HD, Airport card, and the logic board was just replaced last year by Apple. Hardly use the little monster, actually. But I never listed it on eBay 'cause I figured no one would want it... I was hoping to get a grand for it, but maybe, from what you guys are saying, I might get more.

Well...

7. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

It is highly unlikely (depending on software) that you're going to get more than a grand for it. $900 for a clamshell is obscene and I have a hard time that the seller ever recieved that much money for it. On the other hand, 400Ti's were going for about a grand a week ago on ebay pretty consistantly. The longer you wait obviously, the less it's worth, so if you're not using it - sell it, but conservative I'd say market value is ~$950. Just a guess and value will also vary depending on your feedback rating. Good luck!

8. ELYXR thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think the loss of Quartz Extreme (8MB VRAM) is a big deal? I want to use this laptop for video editing, managing music, etc... This means I'll probably have to replace the harddrive just about right away. Is it worth it, not from a value perspective, but from a practical standpoint?

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

if you are a moderate laptop user like me...email internet word processing light graphics in photoshop, etc...then it's actually a good deal

i wouldn't use if for high end gaming since the video card is outdated, but it still has altivec which is good for os x and photoshop

you can get external storage cheap these days and of course you can up the ram on the tibook with little cost, but as for the vram, you will have to live with it, which at the time was great, but even the $999 ibook now has 16 mb of vram on it...but that laptop still uses the non altivec g3 chip

10. Centris 650 macrumors 6502

Centris 650

Realllly...hmmm I have a iBook SE (466) I'd sell for $900! Why can't I ever find people with too much cash to buy my stuff on ebay?! ;)

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

if i had nine hundred and was given the choice of

1) an ibook se 466 with firewire and dvd

OR

2) a pc laptop, celeron 1.5 ghz, with cd-rom, 128 mb ddr ram

...and somehow these were my two choices, i would buy the ibook

12. Centris 650 macrumors 6502

Centris 650

Then have I got an iBook for you!:D

13. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Practically speaking, you're not going to touch a laptop that can do what this can do for $900. The altivec is vital for video editing and while the cpu speed does leave something to be desired, it'll smoke a g3 at 600mhz for video due to the altivec. If you can afford to spend a little more then drop it on ebay for something with a 133fsb.. but then you're buying from a stranger. Practically speaking, buy it and try it out.. SERIOUSLY, if you find out that it doesn't do what you want it to (which i seriously doubt) you can sell it on ebay for $800 as easy as pie and not be out anything. I'd think you'd be a fool not to take it at that price.

14. ELYXR thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks cr2sh...

I think you're right... also, if you think about how much a 10GB iPod goes for, this doesn't seem like that bad of a deal. I've been following eBay for a couple of weeks now... it amazes me to see how much people will pay for a Pismo. :eek:

Most of my confusion came from spending too much time at Best Buy this holiday season. Seeing how little new PC laptops are going for with all the rebates and stuff. It's hard to imagine the slim margins these companies have had to endure. Apple doesn't seem to play that game (too much) and I like it.

15. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

If somehow these were my two choices, I would have my head examined.

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

It is an excellent price, but it all depends on how you want to use
    it. I think by spending $200 more, you would get a better deal
    with a new iBook. ;)

17. Centris 650 macrumors 6502

Centris 650

Shhhhhh!!!!!! ;)

18. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

If Apple gets on the ball and releases a replacement slot-loading superdrive for the older Ti's... he could get one of those. An iBook just doesnt make sense for what he wants to do. :p

19. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

I believe MCE has a slot loading superdrive for these. I saw them at macworld. If anyones interested I could look up the url later

20. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Whoa!
    I've been looking for a superdrive replacement for a while. If you know where to get one please post the link.

BEN

21. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Their website is www.mcetech.com
    they have combo drive and superdrive upgrades for the powerbook G4 and internals for G4 towers. They are compatible with iDVD. Also they recommend that you only put a superdrive in a G4 machine.:D

22. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Just checked there sight and they don't list the internal one yet but on my pamphlet the part #is DVDR4XDT. I have written their support with the question. And the powerbook drive is available Feb 25th

23. ELYXR thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your help guys.

I bought the TiBook and it is in perfect condition... not even a noticeable scratch. I paid $750! On my way driving home I felt very satisfied. I liked that I had a chance to check it out beforehand with my own eyes and hands. It's my first laptop, YIPPIE!!! The only thing is no warranty, but for a $750 Titanium Powerbook...oooh, I like how that just rolls off the tongue.

Anyway, Thanks again everyone... I needed to hear what all you guys said! ;)

24. yzeater macrumors regular

Congratulations! I bought my first mac, a Powerbook 500-512-30gig-DVD with 1.5 yrs AppleCare left for $200. I love it, and that price can't be beat. Having connections rocks:D

25. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Re: Thanks for all your help guys.

Great job man! I know you're going to love it. I can't wait to order my 17". As I've said before: Slowest two-months, EVER! :)