Is '80s heavy metal making a comeback?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Feb 18, 2004.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

sure we have nu-metal, but what about spandex, big hair, and long, intricate guitar solos?

thoughts?

2. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I dont think Hair Bands are making a comeback, as I have yet to see a Poison/Twisted Sister revival tour :p

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i know those two bands were hugely popular but i didn't like them much...and guns and roses, motley crue, wasp, winger, warrant, and white lion didn't do it for me

but i liked van halen, the scorpions, def leppard, mr. big, and tesla

and though i would not admit it, bon jovi was probably the best of the genre and the only band from that era who stayed successful through the lean years when punk and grunge ruled higher decibel rock...much of which i loved, especially nirvana

strange as it seems, i think john bon jovi is actually a better actor than musician and he seems to be underrated as an actor

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i think nu-metal will overtake any retro hair metal that may come along though

perhaps long guitar solos, like vai and satriani, may make a comeback but be integrated much more into nu-metal or a new type of grunge instead of bubble gum inspired los angeles heavy metal

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

the REAL question... did it ever really leave... :D

ROCK ON

7. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i wouldnt be surprised if it did. mostly everything else has made a come back. a lot of stuff is a rehash of old styles.. hence retro.... strokes, the vines, the white stripes, the darkness... etc. etc.

a lot of people dont know this but actually a group called "reef" was doing 60/70s retro brit rock several years before it ever became popular.

anyways... wasnt dave grhol working on a side band that has an 80s sound? was the band name "probot"? i cant remember.

regardless... screw all this rehash... welcome to a totally new sound...

www.themarsvolta.com

you heard it hear first!

man i love that band.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't know about Twisted Sister but Poison has gone out on tour the past 2 or 3 years. So have a lot of of the big 80's hair bands (usually 2 or 3 go out on the same tour). The 80's "stigma" has long faded, the backlash is over, and the orginal fans are older, have kids and go to the shows to revist their youth.

Nu-metal is on it's way out. It reached its satuation point and is sliding into yesterday. Much like grunge and Hair Metal before it. Bands like the Strokes, the White Stripes, the Hives, The vines, etc (simple, straight up, rock 'n roll bands)., seem to be the next wave of music to be embraced by pop culture.

Lethal

9. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

you are right. those bands i call them retro rock.. rehash. to the youth that is embracing them now its a new sound. its a backlash agaisnt what came before it i guess.

would you agree?

i think that because there has yet to be a new sound or new band to come along and shake things up (ala nirvana) music cultures thing is to just rearrange and twist and rehash whats already been established.

10. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Some things that are for sure...Metallica will never die...Metal will never die...Rock will never die.

But a question...

Nu-metal is a term I have heard to describe a genre of music, but does anyone really know what makes it different?

Also, are bands like Linkin Park, Disturbed, etc. considered nu-metal?

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

krossfyter,

I agree. Some of the bands take the style and make it their own, while others do not. I like the White Stripes. The minimalist sound appeals to me because so much music today is very produced if not over produced. Thats a similar reason to why I like Metallica's St. Anger album. It's raw, emotional, intense, and ugly. It's like an anti-studio album and that's refreshing IMO. Anyway, back on topic...

All at this point in time all music has roots. So it's not really coming up w/an orignal sound as much as it is coming up w/a unique sound. Taking something and presenting in a new way. You hear a lot of punk in Nirvana. The Mars Volta have the vibe of a late 60's acid rock band. Metallica's first 4 albums were a cross between Black Sabbath and punk. And of course any "rock based" music of today has roots in american blues.

G5orbust,
    I agree, genre's of music don't die, but they do rotate in popularity. Nu-metal bands typically have the following charactoristics:
    No guitar solos (and pretty basic guitar technique)
    detuned guitars
    A turn table
    Lead singer raps more than he sings
    They also tend to have a chugging, beat oriented style. Nu-metal is basically a rap/hip-hop infused style of metal. Some bands have more rap/hip-hop influence than others. Limp Bizkit is probably the poster child for nu-metal. And, at least in the metal community, nu-metal might be distained as much as hair metal. If you want to piss a metal head off call his favorite band nu-metal and watch the viens in his head exploded. :D

Lethal

12. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

no i complety know this and i stated my previous posts being mindfull of this.

what im talking about though is that while all bands get parts of their style or sound from someone else in different degrees there are a few rare ones who shift it so much that the sound that is conveyed has a high degree of uniquness when compared to other bands. bands like radiohead, siqur-ros, the mars volta, dredg, korn (when they first came out), nirvana etc. etc. fit under this.

of those handfull of bands only some are contributed to changing the landscape of rock music forever by future generations. Led Zeppelin_did it in there day... The Beatles (biggest ones obviously)... Elvis, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Jimi etc. etc.

So basically I am saying that "The Mars Volta" when compared with contemporary music has more of a high degree of uniqeness.... much in the same way that maybe Led Zeppelin_compared with thier contemporaries of thier time when they burst onto the scene.

this is my eduacated guess. its an opinion i know.. but find me a better band and make the case for them over The Mars Volta when compared to todays bands and I will glady move TMV to second.

In my opinion...

Radiohead is like todays Pink Floyed and The Mars Volta is like todays Led Zeppelin.

(if we are going to compare that is)

again just my opinion no one get worked up about this.

13. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Damn straight!

14. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

And we boo'ed them off the stage at Big Day Out while waiting for Metallica. :D

Oh yeah, Metallica rocks! (Well sometimes).

15. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

lethal, you must be a musician

as a musician myself, that's exactly how i would characterize nu-metal...you should write for guitar player or guitar world because your description is right on the money and easy to understand for a person who would be discovering the genre for the first time

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Sorry someone beat you to it!

MJ: Bet you can't wait to see 'Tallica and Godsmack eh?

17. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Yeah and so it was with Led Zeppelin back in the day. Audience at first didnt know how to recieve them.

18. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

got link?

19. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

some of you might know that I don't really like rock music...

BUT..! I'd like to see a Speed-/Thrashmetal comeback (you know, like oldskool Anthrax, Slayer, Testament, Exodus, Megadeth...)

that would be awsome!!!

vSpacken

uhm, this is NOT a joke!!!

20. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I really like retro rock, and I think it sometimes gets an unfair rap for just being a "rehash," although I'm not exactly disputing that that's what it is. It's just that "rehash" has generally negative connotations of being unimaginative. The implication is that today's youth are too dumb to know that retro rock's sound is not new. I disagree. I think it's popularity is precisely because of our familiarity with the whole ouvre of Rock, from the Fifties till now. Looking back, we can recognize certain genres and artists under the "Rock" tent and see that some stood above the rest: the Stones, Led Zeppelin, 70's Britpunk, a few 80s metal bands, and Grunge (not meant to be an exhaustive list, but you get the idea).

Retro rock is a collage of these various strains of the best of rock. The amalgamation is a new sound. Sure, the differences are very subtle sometimes. And it's certainly not a strikingly different new sound in the way that, say, Radiohead's sound is. But it is its own thing. It's really very postmodern in its own way. It's full of nostalgia for a time today's kids never really new. It's a commentary on rock of the past. It's a collage of many genres. And the kids know it because they know the sounds it comes from. (Obviously I'm generalizing--some will know more than others.)

And like I said, it's not a strikingly new sound, but that's okay, in my opinion. Not every movement has to be revolutionary. What I like about it is that it singles out certain sounds from the noise of 50 years of rock music and raises them up and says, "this was our finest work." I like the idea that in 400 years when historians look back on "rock music", they will not be at a loss to define the sound, as multivaried as it seems to us. Because there is a certain quintessential rock sound and retro rock has captured it.

21. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

its resurfaced in a new shape.

Avengesevefold, Atreyu etc.

22. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

and a newly revitalized metallica

man, they got back to the fast stuff again, but this time with fewer lead guitar solos (though kirk hammett can still bring out the solos of the old stuff in concert flawlessly)

st. anger has not really grown on me, but i do like their new bassist since i liked his work with infectious grooves...robert trujullio is altogether different than newstead and burton...and though not an icon like those two, he is a better musician and bassist

in time, he will be put into icon status with them and others who hold that rock bass god title like geddy lee, paul mccartney, sting, and carol kaye...but idiots will not call him by his real name which sounds like true-heo, but call him true-jee-low ;)

23. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

I wonder what Rammstein is compared to now. I wasnt living during the 80's so i am ignorant on the matter of 80's music. But what would Rammstein be compared to?

24. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Yeah you have a point here. I can generally agree with you. "Rehash" is a strong term to use and I have choosen it wisely. Might we also use "Raw Rock"... or maybe "Revivalist Rock".
    Maybe these bands are paving the way for a Raw Rock Revival... much the same way Alice in Chains did with Grunge... hinting on something yet to come. Whatever the case its a hell of a lot better then them bad old days of a couple years ago where boybands and teen diva’s ruled the airwaves._

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Speaking of which, I just downloaded Iron Maiden's 'The Number of the Beast' album from iTMS. I had it years ago, but it got swiped at some point so I figured I'd get it again. Good stuff! And for all you Metallica fans, how about some of their older stuff? Damage, Inc., Call of Kthulu, Battery, Whiplash, Master of Puppets... ah the days when Metallica wasn't a bunch of whiny aging rockers! And lets not forget Judas Priest either. Or Ronnie James Dio (who else remembers Rainbow in the Dark?)

Ozzy has been doing pretty well too, even in his old age (remember, Black Sabbath was making albums in the late '60's).

Oh and AC/DC has remained commercially successful (even if their music isn't quite as good as the Back in Black days) through the years.

Kiss was dormant for many years, but is now out and touring again. Then there's Alice Cooper, who made a comeback a few years ago then faded again (although if you are ever in the Phoenix metro area, his house in Paradise Valley is quite a sight. Looks like Halloween every day there). Queensryche has faded from sight, although Mindcrime was an excellent concept album and the lead singer's vioce is incredible (I heard he was trained in classical opera prior to moving to metal.)

Just a few of the metal bands I remember from back in the day...