Is a 1.6GHZ G5 processor good for games?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dlisle20, Jan 15, 2005.

1. macrumors member

Jan 2, 2005
    Im thinking of getting a 1.6GHZ G5 eMac when it comes out, and I really just want it to play games on it because my powerbook is not too good at it. Would it be better to get that or a 3.2GHZ AMD Athalon? cheers :)

1GHZ PowerBook g4 17" 512RAM
  2. macrumors member

Jan 8, 2005
    Aalborg, Denmark
    If you want to play the majority out of games out there, buy the Athlon 3200+ (note, it's not 3.2 GHz, rather 2.something)

The primary purpose of Mac's aren't gaming, anyhow. You will also find that games depend a lot on the graphics card, especially nowadays with fragment programs (pixel/vertex shaders), where many graphics processing functions are being done by ALU's on the graphics card itself instead on the processor.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 2, 2005
    But 1.6GHZ is still pretty fast though ain't it?
  4. Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    It would, but you could get a much better video card in a pc than in an emac. Plus there are many more games for the pc. Don't think I'm knocking mac gaming, but if you are purly looking for a gaming machine I recomend a pc.
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 2, 2005

Ah, so video cards do make games run faster....
  6. macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Ya, they're the major factor in determining how a game will run, usually. If you have any other questions, you prolly oughta get 'em in quick. After this little romp, I can't imagine your account will be valid for much longer.