is a 17" Powerbook TOO big?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by proverbs, Jul 3, 2005.

1. proverbs macrumors 6502

theres a special going on at my school and the 17" 1.67 Powerbooks are only $179 more than the 15" Powerbooks. with the 17" i get a bigger screen, 20gb's more, and 128mb v-ram instead of 64mb. the only thing i'm worried about is that it will be TOO big. i'm not going to carry my laptop EVERYWHERE i go, but i would like to bring it with me to school a few times a week and take on trips and stuff.
    has anyone found it inconvenient to travel with because of its size?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Its more like a desktop that you can take with you once in a while. Its not something you'll want to take to class or the library everyday. I have a few friends that have it and they almost never remove it from their desks. I take my 15 inch where ever I need to take it.

3. wnameth macrumors 65816

wnameth

there has been so many threads on this, but i think you should go with the 15" and put the extra cash into more ram, get it up to a GB.

thanks, for more info on this debate use the search function here on the forums.

4. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Yes, there's been a lot of threads, including a couple from me in the past! Bottom line: my wife thinks it's too big to be practical. The rest of my family thinks it's not so bad. My wife is usually right; except, the 17" is just so appealing, I might unwisely ignore her!

Seriously though, it depends on how much you're planning to travel with it. I'm guessing you're a student and if you really want to go EVERYWHERE, well, the 17" is too large to be practical at a library, small lecture theatre desk, etc. If you're only traveling occasionally (home, dorm), and you need the screen space, nothing will likely beat the 17".

For me, I like to use a docking station set up: it's a lot more ergonomic if you can separate the monitor from the keyboard (as with a docking station or full set up). The problem is that there are no easy docking station solutions for Macs unless you go third party.

Of course, the upcoming "Mactels" change the equation if you need Windows integration down the line...

5. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

GET IT!!!

The 17 is sooo not too big. its just fine. I have one and I take it wherever I need to and its great. Everybody says the 17 is too big, but if you really look at it, its on 2 inches bigger than the 15 (duh). 2 INCHES!!! thats about...

[-----This---Much----] (I used G-ruler... love it)

^Is that really too big?^

Trust me, the 14% extra screen space is so awsome, you'll never go back
    :D

Plus, (I've heard) that the 15 has the worst battery, since its the same at the 12 inch.

With that tiny price gap, you might as well.

6. qzak macrumors 6502

i have a 17", and i pretty much use it as a desktop replacement. i take it on trips with me and occasionaly to class (for presentations though, i have an old 12" ibook for note taking, so). it fits perfectly into my messanger bag, so when i do want to take it with me it's no problem.

it's a tough call, i love the screen, and i think it's portable enough.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Diagonally. Not length (duh).

From my experience, the 15 inch generally last longer than the 17 inch although it is suppose to last the same amount of time.

8. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I never said it wasen't diagonally (duh), I just put "[-----This---Much----]" to show how much.

Its subjective, so I guess so if you dim your screen.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

No dimming. I have friends that have the 17 inch and under normal conditions, they get up to an hour less battery time then I do on my 15 inch.

10. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Over time (and depending on use), Li Batts hold less charge. Eventually your 15 inch will get an hour less too.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Thats nice (and true), but mine is about a week older than his.

12. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Just Do It

I am sure everyone who goes to buy a higher end PowerBook asks this and it is indeed a valid question I debated for months on which one to get myself.

Definatley go 17". It of course is all opinion and choice.

Many say that its too much for everyday use... That is Bull! I use mine all the time and it goes any where, from church to reunions, work and play, all the time it's with me, the screen is terrific and you can't go wrong with getting it...

It is truly an amazing machine, many people say it's too big, but I've never met anyone that ownes one that says it's too big for everyday use...

Only the people not man enough to handle the machine say it's too big.(Humor not disrespecting anyone)

Remember it's like 1" thin!!!

As for the battery issue, ITS ALL ON HOW YOU USE IT, There are many factors that effect battery life on ALL laptops, if that is a concern get another battery, I got one for road trips and just to leave my power adapter at home, it's not a bad investment.

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Do you really bring it to church? I'm not trying to be funny or rude or whatever, but what do you do with it in church? :confused:

14. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

for backpack use get the 15"
    I had a 17" for a couple of weeks and it was awful for transport
    great screen and all that but heavy and ungainly
    the 12" is great for classes and backpack carrying
    15" is the perfect compromise in screen size and portability
    and honestly is not that small...

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have to agree. The 17" is more like a desktop. If you need something portable, go with the 15". Everyone I know with a 17" says they rarely take it anywhere.

16. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

For the price of a 17" PB, I'd say get an iMac G5 and a 12" PB.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

having a 17" full screen (opposed to wide) I did not want the 17. It was not the cash or anything. It was the size. A laptop should be portable. I have taken to school, photoshoots, weddings (which I was the photographer), my boat, my parents, etc. The 12 was nice and I almost got that, but I wanted the bigger video card and it wasn't an option. also the 12 was just maybe too small. The 15 looked smaller in store, but when I got it home...wow! And this coming from someone who used 19-22" crts all of the time.

18. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

If some is to buy a notebook, it only makes sense to get a widescreen one. One of the top uses of notebooks is to watch DVDs...and who wants cheap letterboxes? Of course, you could buy the movie in fullscreen... :(

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

That really depends on how much you take move your laptop

20. devastator777 macrumors newbie

I am so ready to get a 15 incher next time....

Hey yal, love my 17" but it's too big for everyday use especially if you work and live in NYC, imagine commuting fir 2 hours on the subway with ur Starbucks coffee in one hand and ipod on the other with ur 17 inch by ur waist side, people bumping into them hitting ur stomach and worse all the pole and stuff. I deal with that everyday and its heavy after a long grind at the office and that is why I want to get a 15 inch soon and leave this behemoth at home with my g4 dual 867 and my 2 dual cinema diplay but on travelling occasions I will bring my baby (17 pb) with me.

21. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

I actually use it to teach my sunday school lessons, I teach 11-12 Year Olds and use Keynote (papyrus), and you can look up scriptures in it, from time to time.(you might as well be spreading the good word along with mac theology too.)

It's a highly versitile machine that has unlimited uses as long as you don't let the norms set by window users.

*RECENTLY SIGHTED-
    On AMERICAN DAD Church Billboard "The Bible the real Powerbook"

22. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I think you'll be much happier with a well equipped 15" 1.6GHz model with the optional 128MB VRAM upgrade.

This gets you all the best features of the entire PowerBook
    series in a far more portable form.

If you want a big screen for home use, buy a DVI display.

23. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I agree. Go with the 15" PowerBook G4.

My girlfriend bought one about 6 months ago, and she loves it. I've had a 12" PB for 2 and a half years, and frankly, I need more room (screen space), more RAM, more VRAM, and more processing power. I've taken to using hers more than mine! That should tell you something.

The 17" PB looks nice on screen and in the Apple Stores, but it's just too big for practical use. Imagine working 8+ hours then having to lug that thing back home. Ugh. Go for the 15" PB!

24. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Lug it home? Its 1.3Lb more... The 17 is not the monster its made out to be.