All iPads Is A 2-Year AT&T Contract Worth A $100 Discount?… With Grandfathered Unlimited Data?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by christof, Nov 9, 2012.

?

Is.a 2-year AT&T commitment worth a $100 discount on a new tablet?

1. Yes… I've paid this long… I have unlimited data—why not… etc.

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No… I hate contracts… I hate AT&T… I want more money… etc.

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. macrumors 6502

First: with a 2-year commitment, AT&T now offers a $100 discount on LTE tablet devices, including iPad. I assume this also includes iPad mini. Is the $100 new equipment discount worth a 2-year contract?

Second: assuming AT&T would allow for it, is a $100 discount worth even more if you can make the 2-year commitment with a grandfathered $30 monthly unlimited iPad data plan?

2. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it's worth it if you were gonna pay for all 24 months anyway.

3. macrumors 6502a

I kept the unlimited iPad account going for about 6 months but found it was cheaper to only buy service when I needed it. I travel or need cellular use in "spurts" and it was simply a matter of math. WiFi is almost everywhere I go and is MUCH faster than cellular service.

I think many are holding on to the "unlimited" iPad thing out of fear of losing it. I do for my iPhone. Just do the math and be practical. I have not used it in over 6 months, that is a lot of money saved.

4. macrumors 6502a

If this was offered by Verizon or Sprint, I'd jump on it.

5. macrumors member

AT&T would probably tell you that the Unlimited plan is not covered and to get the $100, you would have to switch to a newer plan.

Remember, AT&T hates that you have that unlimited plan and will do everything they can to get you to drop it.

So I would say the $100 is not worth it if you want to keep the unlimited plan.

6. macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

If you are on unlimited data, then it's a more difficult decision. As the previous poster says (and I think you know), I'd be surprised if AT&T let you continue with your unlimited data plan. Is losing unlimited data worth $100 for you?

If you already have the mobile share plan, it's a simple question of whether you expect to use the cellular capability for more than 14 out of the 24 months (at $10 a month).

The other consideration is resale - you'd want to check that if you sell your iPad before 24 months, can you fulfill the remainder of the 24 month contract using another off-contract tablet.

7. macrumors member

The AT&T announcement says the discount is at AT&T stores and selected retailers. Will Apple stores be one of those selected retailers?

8. macrumors 6502

Since AT&T now throttles grandfathered unlimited data users at 3gb does "unlimited data" even matter?

9. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I don't want another cellular contract regardless of the device or carrier.

10. macrumors G5

gnasher729

Do the sums. For (iPad price - $100) + 24 * (monthly charge) you get an iPad, plus 24 months worth of whatever that contract gives you. Do you need what that contract gives you? Is it worth it? Are there any PAYG deals, and what do they cost? Do you get similar contracts cheaper elsewhere? For example, iPad WiFi is obviously less practical, but an awful lot cheaper.

11. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

I don't think it's worth it. As others have said, unless you're going to require that access nearly every month for the entire two years (note: two years ago, the original iPad on 3G was state of the art, so don't plan on your new tablet keeping its appeal), you'll save money by not getting the contract. No matter what, you'll avoid being in a two year contract, which I think is easily worth the $4 a month you're saving.

12. macrumors 6502

No contract is great if it saves. But if you're going to have the service for at least 24 months why not get the device discount?

13. macrumors 65816

I don't think it's worth it. Get a tablet with a pay as you go type plan because in one year there will be another tablet. Cellular contracts should only be yearly in my opinion.

14. macrumors 68040

KdParker

Plus, you could just use the hotspot on your cell to connect iPad when needed. Not worth another data plan.

15. macrumors 65816

designs216

No way. I'll buy the phone outright and still come out $1800 ahead after 2 years.

16. macrumors 6502a

The only thing that is contracted is the service. After a year, you are still free to take out the sim, then buy another ipad and use the service there too.

For those of us who have a continuous data plan, it's worth it. With the $100 discount, I am now able to purchase the LTE version for only $30 more.

17. macrumors 6502a

Is there any way to pre-order an LTE Mini through AT&T with the discount? Or do we have to wait until Friday and hope they have some in-stock in stores or online?

18. thread starter macrumors 6502

I went to an AT&T corporate store today to ask if my grandfathered unlimited session based data would qualify for the two-year contract $100 discount. The small business sales representative said yes. As of today, no preorders are being taken for iPad mini.

The representative expects that iPad mini will be released at the AT&T corporate store the same day Apple releases it. I'm not sure if any iPad mini pre-orders will be taken.

19. SqB, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012

SqB
    macrumors 6502

20. macrumors 68030

bbeagle

For me, it's a good deal.

We already have a family data plan. Tablets are $10/month. This now, in effect, makes the iPad $6/month. 40% savings. Well worth it.

21. macrumors regular

Pretty sure this has been shown to be not true for the iPad, and that the throttling only applies to phones.

22. macrumors 6502

You just might be right about that, my bad.

23. macrumors 601

tbayrgs

I wouldn't count on it, especially considering the AT&T employees I've spoken to in the past haven't always been very well informed. According to this article on TUAW, this discount only will apply to iPads added to existing mobile share plans or tiered data plans. I hope the rep you spoke to is correct as I also have an existing standalone unlimited data plan for my iPad and was planning on switching to a Mini.

24. thread starter macrumors 6502

When you say tiered, I assume you mean the new capped/metered data plans. If you hear otherwise, or have success, let me know. I'll do the same.

25. thread starter macrumors 6502

I visited AT&T Corporate Stores, called Telephone Sales and Customer Service, and tweeted AT&T Twitter Customer Care.

In order to achieve $100 savings, the customer must sign a two-year agreement. Two-year agreements may be made on post-paid accounts.

Grandfathered $30 iPad unlimited session based tablet data is a pre-paid product. AT&T cannot convert pre-paid accounts to post-paid accounts AND retain unlimited tablet data because unlimited tablet data is not offered to post-paid accounts.

The policy document AT&T Twitter Customer Care pointed me to is: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB117070

If anyone is successful, please share your experience. Thanks!