Is a civil war in Palestine inevitable?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogbone, Oct 8, 2006.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-2393751,00.html

When will the supporters of Hamas wake up. It appears that the majority of Palestinians (who voted for and support Hamas) appear to prefer oblivion rather than living side by side in peace with Israel.

Why this dogged determination to wipe Israel out of existence at *any* cost. I mean it is surely an impossible dream but it appears the desire is so strong as to not brook any common sense or sense of survival at all. Can unbridled hatred really run this deep that one would plunge ones children into a future that can contain nothing but murder and chaos?

Maybe an all out civil war will be the best thing in the long term. I mean with Hamas in charge things can only get worse anyway.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It is better to die standing up than to live on your knees.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

They refuse to recognize Israel. That pretty much says it all, They want to stay in a state of chaos, making sure the children have no future. Whats new? sounds just like Arafat.

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    There are clashes between israel & palestine, and then there's clashes between Palestinian forces and Hamas... It's really a strange situation over there, though I wouldn't expect otherwise from a region ruled by hate-preaching warmongers (not that America's president is much different, but still).

5. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

But isn't the main argument between Hamas and Abbas' Fatah, centred around whether to go for peace with Israel or whether to hold out for the dream of Israel's anihilation? Isn't this what the civil war will be about? I suppose there is a side issue of whether a fundamentalist government can impose sharia law.

In light of the sure fire 100% road to oblivion that Hamas seems to prefer, would not a civil war be best for the Palestinians in the long term. Or does it mean that a significant proportion of the Palestinians still go with the dream of Israel's destruction, and if this is the case is it due to constant propaganda bombardment or is it a considered opinion.

Further...does not this possibility of civil war make it more apparent that the real fight in the middle east is not really anything to do with Israel but rather Tehran's mission to establish a fundamentalist Shia middle east?

Or to take a leaf out of Skunk's book... is it perhaps time for the downtrodden Islamic moderates to make a choice whether to die on their feet fighting the fundamentalist oppressors?