Is a Gateway onto something?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by chewbaccapits, Mar 27, 2003.

1. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Of course not!

Apparently, "Gateway Inc. is launching its most extensive promotional campaign to get consumers to buy new computers so they can copy and store music -- without violating copyrights." The article goes onto say, "The company has launched a Web site, www.ripburnrespect .com, to provide instruction on downloading and CD recording, supply downloadable songs and explain the limits on legal copying."

http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-gateway27mar27,1,327705.story?coll=la-headlines-technology

BOOOOO...Stick a fork in it
    This Cow is done baby...

2. cubist macrumors 68020

Gateway is flailing... Warm up the grill, chewbaccapits, I'm off to the butcher's.

3. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    :p sorry, but i can't resist this from Red Dwarf after seeing that line (see the thread elsewhere)
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast"

4. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Yeah, lets all go to outback steakhouse tonight baby! :D ;)

mmmmm.... steak....

<poor college student drueling>

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Is a Gateway onto something?

-Certainly! The chopping block.

Chapter 11 within 12 mo.

Cast your bets here!

6. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

peace out, copycats!

Gateway?

I've got 20 bucks on saying it's chapter 11 in 6 months.

'Nuff said...

7. pantagruel macrumors regular

gateway is sooo screwed right now, they should stop wasting money on stupid projects like this and rework their computer sales structure before they fold.

8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-pantagruel

I think it's too late. The Ford Pinto of Gateway hasn't kept up with the trends and his in the process of getting squeezed out of the market by the Chevy that is Dell. Gateways never had that good a quality, but the low-cost offset that. But here comes Dell, with their decent quality machines, and lowering prices - not to mention a customer service department second only to Apple.

This is why Gateway is diversifying - they know they cannot compete just in personal computing anymore. Unfortunately, they're flailing all over the place with their ideas - sticking with wierd ones, and killing off potential too early.

They're toast. Gateway is going to go with a pretty good gout of flame, and it's going to be interesting to watch.

Advice for the future: Don't take advice from a cow - It's probably the drugs talking anyway [TED!].

9. pantagruel macrumors regular

that is a good point, maybe they should focus elsewhere to build back their corporation, but it looks like they are not focusing at all and are aiming everywhere and anywhere. I personally think the industry would be better off without them, and it could possibly give apple more of a percentage of the market if they fail, so Im not going to wish them any luck.:D

10. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

rethinking....

Alright, I was thinking, maybe we NEED Gateway around. Gateway makes Apple look so good. I have two buddies who have Gateways and the absolutely hate them. One gateway is about 8 months old and it's had nothing but problems OUT OF THE BOX! That's sad that this happens, but when I show them my PowerMac and it's ease of use, stability and what I can do on it, they are floored!

Gateway may just be an evil we have to accept because we wouldn't know what good is, if we had no bad.

Eh, who knows....