is a gig really a gig

Discussion in 'iPod' started by xyouxfailmiex, Sep 29, 2005.

1. xyouxfailmiex macrumors member

xyouxfailmiex

i have a question that may deem me really dumb...i have a 60 gig ipod and a 60 gig hd....now my question is..if i have 60 gigs of music on my cpu...does that mean thats all that would fit..or is it different......basically should i upgrade my hd

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, a 60gb HDD in your computer has the same amount of space as a 60gb HDD in an iPod, BUT neither of them are "really 60gb". There's tons of threads about this on this board, but more or less, 60gb on the box = ~56gb of usable space.

3. xyouxfailmiex thread starter macrumors member

xyouxfailmiex

so i should upgrade ot say 80

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Always get as much hard drive space as you can afford because it'll always be used up eventually.

Do you actually have 60GB of music according to iTunes? If so, then you'll need even more than 80GB IMO. You want a fair bit of space left unused (8GB ideally) for the system to use as Virtual RAM.

5. xyouxfailmiex thread starter macrumors member

xyouxfailmiex

no im not even close to 60 yet...but i can see it happening....how much hd space would be good???..and how much would it cost me

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, what sort of Mac do you have? Upgrading a desktop Mac's internal drive can be pretty cheap and relatively bountiful too, but upgrading a laptop's hard drive is expensive, difficult and can only get to about 100GB (maybe 120GB). For a laptop, I'd recommend getting an external drive instead. :)

7. xyouxfailmiex thread starter macrumors member

xyouxfailmiex

yeah ive got an i book

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The iBook is the hardest Mac to upgrade with respect to hard drives and is therefore the most expensive to upgrade. I recommend getting an external drive when you need it. Whatever you do, don't let your iBook run with less than about 8GB free if possible. :)