is a laptop really worth the risk?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Feb 14, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

...for someone who has two laptops and rarely take them out, i get so nervous when i go out (to a bookstore for instance) and see others leave their machines unattended for five minutes or more to go to the restroom or go grab coffee

i can see the need to get a laptop if you are a business professional and travel a lot by car or plane

but does today's average young college student, high school student, or middle school student need a laptop or can they get by with a desktop in their dorm, apartment, or house?

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Laptops aren't worth the decrease in security, expandability, and
    other things, unless you really need a portable solution to EVERY
    day needs. If you have the urge to listen to some music every
    3 months when you go to the beach, dont get a laptop... If you
    are a DJ and you want a central base with all your DJing needs,
    then get a laptop. It all just depends on whether it is best for you.

My sister, sophomore in college, has an iBook (500MHz) and it
    runs well. Except the power cord is messed up from over-usage.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I like my laptop. When it comes to security, I just don't do stupid things like leave it alone.

As for expandability and power, I'm not a pro user, so I don't need a duel 1.42ghz tower with all sorts of bays and drives and slots and whatever.

Oh, one thing I can say is that because I have one computer that is my main computer, and it happens to be portable, I work a lot more than I did before. Now, if I have an idea, I just grab it and start pecking away on the keyboard. Before, I had to go to the computer, sit down, and work. Now, I work whenever and more importantly whereever. Plus, I can work on something, go to sleep, grab my computer on the way to work, and continue working on what I was doing.

No more computer at home/computer at work problems (how many times have you had to find a specific version of a file, and discovered to your dismay that it was on your home computer/work computer/some disk in between?)

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I allways recomend laptops but I never take my eye off them, I have 2, I'm a VJ and I work with both. On stage I can leave them because I can tell if the vide signal is out on the screens. Once I had some one spilled a dring on one of my Pismos, I'm glad I was close.

I can not imagine what some one can have in their mind to leave a laptop computer alone, if is a PC I can understand but not a Mac.

To loose any of my powerbooks is like loosing a member of my family. I had a friend who got his pismo stolen, he didn't need to carry with that computer but for some reason he did.

I carry my computer if I'm gonna use it for sure, not to take it around to see if I may use it, no. Just if I am going to.

5. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    portables

mcrain: I'm totally with you on this one. My main computer is now my TiBook and I love having a portable machine. I take it to work and it's my main computer at work, and it's my portable gaming machine for when i'm at a friends house!

6. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

The first Mac I got was a performa 5200, ever since I have been using Mac Laptops, although they do not have the speed of desktops, the protability to me is much more important.

Also about leaving laptops unattended, some people are just stupid, on my walk to Uni I often see cars left with their engines running will the driver goes inside the houise for a few miniutes. Also some people leave laptops about so someone else can steal them and they get a free upgrade from the insurance companies. I have a teacher at Uni that only every bought her first laptop 8 years ago, ever since see has been getting new laptops on insurance because they some how keep on getting stollen or broken.

7. sethwerkheiser macrumors regular

exactly

these are all the reasons why my wife and I are going to get laptops (yes, plural) as our main computers. For myself I hate sitting at work all day at a computer then when I come home and need to work on stuff, well, it's just like Im at work, ya know? heh... and for my wife, she's going to be entering grad school soon to become a psycologist. Anything to make her studying and writing papers more comfortable is fine with me - she'll be a doctor someday! haha...

8. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

When I was in grad school, my Wallstreet was my life! The grad student computer labs were woefully outdated (Mac IIsx's, I think). I didn't have the money for two computers, so the laptop (and two Kingston security locks) was my best option. Today, I have my Powerbook at home and a PC at work, but I still fall back on my laptop for presentations and for those infrequent trips back to my parents'. Though I don't use it as much anymore, I still like to have that ability to pick up my computer and run!

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Re: exactly

Yeah, well, I did all those sorts of things too, and then my wife became a doctor and within 5 months informed me that she didn't need to be married anymore.

Be careful what you wish for.

10. sethwerkheiser macrumors regular

Re: Re: exactly

Yes, I've heard of such things.

11. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Re: exactly

i know a lady who is a landscape gardener and she helped put her husband through medical school, and as soon as he finished, he divorced her

that seems so crazy

12. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: Re: Re: Re: exactly

welcome to america. ;)

Anyway, I have a ti, and i love it.. but i don't work on it as much as i worked on my lombard.

i'm trying to determine what it is, psychologically-- if it's the size of the machine, the weight of my case (went from a bag to a hard aluminum case) or what.

If all esle fails I might buy a 12inch aluminum.... who knows.

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yeah, well doctors are self centered *ssholes. No offense Arn.

14. vniow macrumors G4

I wouldn't give my iBook up for anything except another notebook, I just luv that thing, it's so damn convienent a lot of the time, even though a much faster desktop PC is my main machine.

Anybody want to buy me a Powerbook?

15. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I went to exclusive use of a laptop for work almost 3 years ago. (originally a PC, switched to Apple in November) Using a Laptop has been so much more covienent for me. I don't have to worry about moving files where I can get them, I just leave it all on my Laptop locked by a password. Then I use a Firewire drive to image my TiBook every once in a while for backup. I figure if MY HD fails I can boot off of the FireWire drive for a while.

I do however have a computer at the house for the family to use. I just don't let them touch mine. :)

16. macdiehard macrumors newbie

Laptops forever

This question made me think, I can't make my mind up between having a desktop and a portable or just a portable.

Pros of portable only:

1. The power and expandibility are not issue for everything I need to do. Never needed to expand my computer. Anything I need is available as firewire extension i.e hard drives, optical drives.

2. I have having two computers, having to synch the data. If I am working on a project and a client calls and asks can we meet at his place to go over some stuff. With a lap top, I just get up and go, knowing all my curren emails are with me etc.

3. Travel - I do travel and the one time I only had a desktop, it was a hassle. Had to ship the whole thing to England!

Cons -

1. Easier to get stolen
    2. Easier to damage, drop. I totalled a hard drive this way. If it's your sole computer you can't work until you repair or fix the machine.

I am going to stay with lap tops, might even get a 12 inch and attach a 17 inch monitor for my desk.

The ideal solution for is a portable but having a spare computer (can be lap top or desktop) to use in case it breaks, stolen. I am out of business without the computer.

Generally what I do is buy a new lap top and keep my old one as a spare. I am getting my wife a 14 inch ibook so in a pinch if my computer went down I could borrow hers for a few days! :)

Tips for lap tops only.
    1. Insure it - get damage insurance and screen protection if you can afford.
    2. Get a very good carry case.
    3. Back up stupid - I use a firewire pocket drive 20 gig.
    4. Have a plan about how you will work if it's gets stolen e.g know where you can get a loaner or rent one, or an old computer you can use
    5. Don't let bell hops, taxi drives etc. handle your computer case!

17. macdiehard macrumors newbie

Re: Re: exactly

Considering recent news what you really have to watch for is when she tells you she is buying a Mercedes and would like meet you in the hotel parking lot!

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Re: Re: Re: exactly

Yeah, well, my ex moved to Houston before she decided to drop me. Let's just say I won't be visiting anytime soon.

19. macdiehard macrumors newbie

Re: is a laptop really worth the risk?

I think really comes to down to travel. If you never travel you don't need one as you can always get back to your room to work. And if you travel do you really need to work or do you just need to get email and you can get it on the web at a cafe or from your hosts.

For example a student may go home for the holidays but there is a computer at his parents house anyway. I stopped taking my lap top when I visit my parents in law because they have a 1 gig Dell now and I just get my email off the web.

20. macdiehard macrumors newbie

I though the defense in that case was a bit weak. She said it was an accident but witness said the ran over him 2 or 3 times. The defense said that the jury didn't take into account the adultary etc. Funny I wasn't aware of a law that says that you can kill your adulturous spouse and walk off scott free.

21. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

I think it's worth the risk, myself. i don't have a *dire* need of a laptop, but it just totally rocks to take a really nice computer wherever i go. i go work on projects at people's houses, take it to school, go to friends' houses and hook up to their internet, and pretty much use my computer anywhere in the house that i want to. i think the extra money and lessened expandability is a small price to pay for the added portability.

it's something to worry about, i guess. i can't imagine leaving it out of my sight in public for even a second, though. i cringe at the thought of losing it like that. you have to be much more careful, but i heartily contend that it's worth it.

22. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I love my TiBook!!
    I take it everywhere, and with the airport, it makes it much better!!
    I only use my desktop for Kazaa!!

23. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i hope you don't use it for "everything"...like use it for a baking sheet in the oven's broiler;)

24. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

25. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I think one lady already tried that! :D

There was a thread a few weeks ago about some lady that baked her computer. :D