Is a powerbook g4 a good idea?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by notblackmac, Jul 8, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

notblackmac

I'm going to be going traveling for 2 weeks and wanted a laptop to browse the web while in the hotel room, and watch movies on the plane ride. I was browsing ebay and came across a powerbook g4 12" for only 150.00. I'd feel much better carrying a 150.00 laptop compared to my 1,200.00 current one. But is the powerbook a bad choice? Could it handle some light web browsing?

2. Guest

spinnerlys

It can handle light browsing, but bigger Flash content might be a CPU hog. Watching SD movies will also be no problem, I could watch Xvid/Divx (MPEG-4) encoded movies on my 1.07GHz iBook without problems.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

notblackmac

Is there a way to disable flash?

4. Guest

spinnerlys

5. thread starter macrumors regular

notblackmac

Thank you sir!

6. macrumors 68000

Hrududu

How fast is it? There is a HUGE difference between the original 867MHz models and the later 1.33-1.5GHz models performance wise. The later models are quite capable machines with 1.25GB of RAM. The older 867MHz systems aren't bad, but the later ones are a lot better in several aspects aside from just CPU performance.

7. macrumors 6502a

honestly, I wouldn't even bother with it, I'd spring for a windows netbook. G4's are old, really old. Flash kills them, and I bet the battery is really worn out, PowerPC macs are really just collector's items these days except for G5 towers, and those are even becoming long in the tooth.

8. macrumors 6502a

Just get an iPad.

9. thread starter macrumors regular

notblackmac

I got a ibook 1.33ghz off of ebay for $99.00, I believe that it will suit my travel needs.. thanks for your help.

10. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Good price. Those iBooks/Powerbooks are still pretty decent as travel companions. The 12" size is just perfect!

11. thread starter macrumors regular

notblackmac

I finally received it today, and for being a 4-5 year old computer it actually runs pretty decently. And you are absolutely correct, that 12" size is the sweet spot for travel!

12. macrumors newbie

I had a 12 inch 1.0 ghz PowerBook G4. Was by far my favorite computer I've ever owned. Was perfect for travel, video on the airplane, actually doing real work. I only upgraded to a MacBook b/c it was stolen in Nov. 2007. That iBook should work great for what you want it for, and it was a great price!

13. macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

not worth it

people have to realize that ppc is DEAD

14. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

So a 25 year old car is basically obsolete but that doesn't mean it's still not useful :rolleyes: Just because it's not good enough for your life anymore doesn't mean it's still not good for someone else.

15. macrumors 68030

Man... how in the world did you deal with that kind of heat?! Did you use a liquid nitrogen cooling system or something? :D

16. macrumors 68020

noodle654

I just bought a few weeks back a 1.5GHz PB and it is totally fine. Sure, it isnt that fast, and Safari crashes a lot, and flash is a problem...but it works just fine. I use it as a file base for my Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station to log all the data that it collects. Works great for that. I love the portability of it though, its a such a perfect size.

17. macrumors 604

mrsir2009

For $150?

18. macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

Exactly, I still play WoW and use YouTube (with HTML5) on mine. The SSD makes it scream.

19. Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know, I was used to hell anyway.

It may be not longer be used in Apple computers, but PPC is not dead. The PS3 and XBox are based on the PPC / PPE architecture.

20. macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

I thought the Wii was too?

21. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I think he was poking fun at your typo.... lol.

22. Guest

spinnerlys

I know, I should have clarified I used Windows before I got the iBook. :)