Is a PSP worth it?

Discussion in 'Games' started by dotdotdot, Sep 13, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Hey everyone!

As this thread has gained popularity, I think it should be the "official" PSP thread, due to the different topics and subject in this thread. So, basically, just talk about a PSP and reccomend it or reject it.

Thanks!

RULES *for now*:
    1) Do NOT spam this thread with constant DS vs. PSP posts - a comparitive analysis is okay, and an honest oppinion. But, "Dude PSP sux man, DS is life" is not good.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yes, because it can do so much.

Beyond the obvious reason to buy it (games), you can also use it as a music player, a photo displayer, and a portable storage device, like the iPod Photo... but it ALSO has built-in wireless capability and a web browser (in the v2.0 firmware), so you can use it like a portable computer. AND it can play movies off the Memory Stick... you can rip your DVDs into a PSP-compatible format quite easily, and transfer them to Memory Stick when you want to take a movie with you.

I really like my PSP. It's not what I use to play music, but I use it for practically everything else.

3. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Now is definitely a great time to get one, the web-browser is out, and in a few days the best game for it will be out: Burnout Legends!

4. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Wow. A repost, but not any repost, its one with a nearly exact tittle

EDIT: I don't wanna come out as rude. Quite honestly, I found it amusing... Deja vu almost...

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Almost nobody uses the features though. Just read an article about it. People play games with it, but that is all. The multimedia stuff is extra stuff they really don't touch. Most people who can afford a PSP can afford an mp3 player, and as there is only one type of mp3 player out there that matters (iPods and all its variants ;) ), guess what they would rather use for music?

If you don't think you're going to use those features, just understand that you're paying $ABC.XY dollars for a video game machine. If it's worth it for you to pay that much for a portable Playstation, then fine.

6. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yup. I concur, PSP ain't worth it. I mean come on UMD movies? Who would rather spend an extra 20 on a UMD rather than a DVD. Then you gotta spend some more money on a big enough capacity memory stick for music, and I would say, the PSP is pretty big for a mp3 player. The games? They don't have any. Atleast not yet. Go get a DS and a iPod.

7. skyton macrumors 6502

i use my psp for watching movies on the go
    and playing games
    it works well as a portable media device
    and the games look great
    the screen is fantastic

not something i use at home
    but great for when im out and about

8. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

But man the games and movies are just so damn expensive!

9. skyton macrumors 6502

i dont watch UMD's
    just bought a memory card and watchn films from that

10. iGav macrumors G3

My mum's getting one... so I presume they must be good, as she's been gaming longer than most of the people on MR have been alive. :eek: :p

11. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

SO if I get one...

$250 for a PSP
    $50 for a game
    $50 for a game

-----

$350 for a PSP w/ games

Would I need anything else, like NEED?

Also, would I be able to put a full 8.5 GB DVD on the PSP? How?

12. andysmith macrumors 6502

If you want to watch movies on it, just get a nice big memory card and use something like ffmpegX to convert your existing DVDs.

That's what I plan to do, anyway.. as soon as the UK get more stock of PSPs :(

13. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

PSP - $250
    Wipeout Pure - $40
    Lumines - $40
    1GB Memory Stick Pro Duo - $90
    PSPWare - $15 - sync with your Mac
    MactheRipper - utility to rip dvd
    ffmpegx - covert file to a PSPWare friendly format

You can compress a full length movie to about 400-450MB for viewing on your PSP. Store two movies, games saves, and maybe some photo's on the 1GB stick, and you're all set.

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Don't forget, when a movie is converted to a PSP-compatible format, it's going to be SHRUNK by almost 75%, since the PSP's screen resolution is only 480x272. Also, you won't be converting all of the language soundtracks, which take up a lot of space (especially the 5.1/6.1 tracks... you just need stereo), or extras.

Put it this way: Fight Club compressed down to 880 MB or so at very high quality.

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You're kidding, right? If not, Google the word "PSP" and your question will be answered.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's a Sony Playstation Portable, which is just a portable video game system that's too big and has a crappy battery and expensive games. ;)

17. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Okay now the next question: what good games are there?

I was thinking about Burnout Legends...

18. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Just borrowed my friend's PSP. It's amazing. I would get one myself if I have the $$

19. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Haha :D . Sorry, but there aren't. There hasn't been a killer app for the PSP. Lumines is probably the only game worth noting. I played it non stop for a while (I got to borrow my cousins PSP). It's very addicting. I don't know what kind of games your into but right now there ain't much.

20. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Burnout Legends is AMAZING. Best game so far. GTA in a month :cool:

21. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Burnout Legend just came out, I hear it is amazing. I will be getting it this weekend, so I will tell you how it is.
    I got me a 512mb stick, that should be plenty, unless you want multiple movies on it.

22. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

23. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

My brother was obsessed with Lumines. Like Tetris on steroids...

24. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I would say no, but for good reason.

I recently sold my PSP on eBay along with my two games, Wipeout Pure and Lumines. The reason for selling was the fact that I never used the thing, and that it was sitting on a my shelf in its case never seeing more than 10 minutes use at a time.

Lately I've had quite a falling out with videogames. I stopped playing Halo 2 altogether, and I am seriously considering selling off my Xbox. When the Nintendo Revolution comes out I will also sell my GameCube, so all I'll have is my Revolution which will do everything my GameCube can do plus play newer games and DVD's.

I would say save your money on the PSP. It's a nifty gadget, but in the end the Nintendo Gameboy SP wins in terms of simplicity, cost, and most importantly, fun factor. I've found that PSP games (which are what you'll use it for the most) are repetitive and not very replayable. Also, there is no easy auto sync that comes with the PSP to sync with your computer to upload movies, photos, or music. It's all manual drag and drop, so don't get all excited that it will be as simple to use as your iPod. It's not, believe me. There is a program out there to make it sync with your computer, but I think Sony should have bundled it with the system.

Or, you could take your money and put it towards a PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, or a Nintendo Revolution.