Is a screen cover necessary for an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by NateEssex, May 2, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

I have always had a screen protector on my iPhone, but I remember reading that it's not necessary for the iPad. Is that true? What if drops of liquid get on the screen? Will there be damage?

If one is needed, can anyone recommend one please?

2. macrumors 603

appleguy123

I have a few scratches on mine. Ymmv

3. ExJ
    macrumors newbie

I examined the iPad's at the Apple Store near by and noted each had a few scratches. Not huge deep scratches.. but not would I call micro-scratches you see on say a Blackberry.

I recommend getting a screen protector. I grabbed a ZAGG one from BestBuy a week or so ago and it definitely helps with fingerprints -- I don't even see any on my iPad and I rarely wipe off the screen. I do wash my hands often though.

4. macrumors 68020

It's true, Apple does not recommend screen overlays. Plain water and microfiber is sufficient for cleaning. And for most people, no, screen overlays are not necessary.

I use a screen overlay to minimize finger prints and glare. And in improves the tactile feel of the screen.

I use Power Support Anti-Glare.

5. macrumors member

BossHogg

Heavy user since launch and no scratches yet (knock on wood). I use the Apple case and that might help minimize scratch opportunities.

6. macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have tried a few. NuVue from OWC worked very well and is only $9.99

7. macrumors 6502

You don't need one but it's just personal preference. it's easier to get fingerprints on it w/o a screen protector and that's why I like to use one. Also to protect from scratches.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

Which protector?