Is a tablet right for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CoMpX, Sep 4, 2006.

1. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I am looking at the Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth tablet for my birthday. My main uses for it would be mainly jotting notes down in school into my iBook, and some very light work for fun in Photoshop and with my digital pictures. Is this right for me?

I would go with the much cheaper 4x5 model, but I need the Bluetooth functionality. I would also get aquatinted with Apple Inkwell because it seems very useful.

Does anyone have one, and is this the right product for what I want to use it for?

2. CoMpX thread starter macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I changed my mind. I realize I really don't need the Bluetooth functionality, and it is also older than the wired Graphire4 models.

Now, I need to decide between 4x5 and 6x8. I will be using this mostly in school, so I'm afraid the 6x8 might be a little too big to carry around with me, as it's roughly the size of my iBook.

However, I'm also concerned that the 4x5 might be too small. I will just be doing some light photo editing for fun and jotting down notes in class. Do you think the 4x5 will be large enough?

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

What kind of notes are you taking for school? If it's mostly text, you can probably type wayyyy faster than trying to take notes with a tablet.

4. CoMpX thread starter macrumors 65816

CoMpX

The thing is, it's a lot more than typing. I am always drawing arrows, circling...underlining, emphasizing, and whatnot. It's much easier to write for me than it is to type and use all the proper formatting.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Better make sure that you can find an application for that. They've had those for PalmOS machines but I'm not aware of one for Mac OS X.

OmniOutliner might do it, but I haven't used it that way.

The 6x8 might be too big for class since there is a lot more than the 6x8 inch active area.

6. CoMpX thread starter macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Won't Apple Inkwell perform these functions for me?

That's why I'm leaning towards the 4x5, because the 6x8 is about the size of my iBook - pretty big. I just what to know what some people's experiences are with a 4x5 and would it be big enough for me?

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I have a 4x5, I personally wouldn't want anything bigger, especially if I was planning to carry it around like you are.

8. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

inkwell isn't an app. its a prefrence pane dissabled on all macs without a tablet. its also they way he mac converts your handwrting to text. i think you might be getting it confused with something like m$'s onenote.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

No, it won't but it will attempt to convert your scribbles to text. It's equivalent to Graffiti, the handwriting recognition software on PalmOS, but came from the work Apple did on Newton.

I have the 4x5 and it should be big enough but it also depends on how small you write. I would likely make the adjustment rather than carry (or pay for) the 6x8.

10. CoMpX thread starter macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I could use Inkwell w/ handwriting recognition to take down notes. However, is there a program I could use that will let me annotate and scribble whatever onto these notes?