Is age 40 considered the new age 30?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jun 26, 2005.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

...and at what time period in history was a 30 year old considered middle aged?

turning 40 a couple of years ago was kind of traumatic for me and i knew that most likely, at least statistically, i was past the halfway point in my life and it would never again be easy to drink beer or eat junk food without some serious consequences sooner than later

i do remember being 19 and having a 28 year old girlfriend and i thought she was so "old", beautiful, of course, but old enough to be a wise sage type person who has nearly seen it all ;)

...anyway, what are your experiences with turning 30 or 40 and how has it changed the outlook on your life?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

All I remember is that it was a damned good party....

No, seriously, I'd say 50 is the new 30. It's great!

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm sure you'll get more replies soon. I think some of the senior citizens around here are taking a nap. ;)

*glances impatiently at watch*

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Hey! Watch your lip, young 'un! Let's have some respect around here!
    :( :p

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Its still you here, old man. Couldn't you sleep?

Maybe you just have more pep than the rest of the geriatric folk here at MR. Or may you just drink lots of tea. Do you drink lots of tea, Mr Skunk, sir? Oh, I'm sure you do.

*takes another glance at his watch*

Maybe people are trying to find their reading glasses. :confused:

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Is age 40 considered the new age 30?

Seeing as how I'm going to be 30 next spring, I really, really hope so.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson's dad: "Why, I oughtta...<snore>"

8. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

A wishful thinking? A positive spin on getting old? A little twisting of the time dimension to make 40 30? I think the age is as it is and it is hard to hide our biological clock. Even though people are living longer because of medical advances (preventivie medicines and all), the aging process is the same as a century ago.

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

THIS 41 year-old has just returned from teaching his Aikido class and an hours swim with his daughter, and if you want to find out how old 41 really is, I suggest you strap on a pair and I'll meet you on the mat... ;) :D :D

10. kjr39 macrumors 6502

I think that it is just based on what is going on in someone's life.

For example, more and more people are waiting to have kids. I just had a family member have their first kid at age 39. I'm about a decade younger than that and have no intention of having kids any time soon. My wife and I are in agreement that we are going to wait for quite a while before we have kids. There are too many things I want to see before I settle down...

Also, people are working longer. It used to be that by 30, you had 10ish years of work under your belt and were planning on retiring in your late 50s/early 60s. Now, people are going to college for their bachelor's and sometimes their Master's before heading to work. So, they are in their mid-20s before entering the workforce and need to work longer before they are able to retire. Either that or they want to work longer in life because they enjoy their work...

So, I would say that 40 is the new 30. (Either that or I am rationalizing because I am turning 30 soon...)

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Just turned 32 this last weekend, so I'd jump on the bandwagon and say yes. 40 is the new 30. But it's all relative. Some people stay young, active, (immature), and whatnot for a good long time. Others age quickly. I remember one of my neighbors in Russia (where 20 is the new 30). He wasn't that much older than me but he looked like he could have been my grandfather. Smoking and drinking from sun up to sun down (and well beyond) is a great way to age quickly.

12. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Not entirely, because advances in nutritional knowledge, and the availability have greatly improved the phsyical shape of people, if they choose to use it.

Personally, as someone about to turn 34, I know I could kick my 20 year old self's a**. I stopped spending as much time on Barley sandwiches and switched to better pursuits (like drinking rotten grapes instead ;))

I look at my dad who is closer to 60 than 50 and spends the summer in the Rockies hiking, and I know I've got at least 30 years ahead of me of being able to do whatever I want.

50 years ago that wasn't nearly as easily achievable.

13. kjr39 macrumors 6502

I don't know about being able to kick my butt from when I was 20, but I sure would like to!

14. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Most CEOs are in their 50s, so I would say that is the peak of your powers and then it's downhill from there.

15. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

It's all downhill from here on out for Steve Jobs. :mad:

Apple is dying.

16. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

i hafta say that with the crowd i mingle with often (young professionals, some philanthropic types) that the women a few years my senior are much more attractive than the younger ones on the whole. The girls that are 27-37 have a much more "together" feel. Anymore, when I see younger girls, 18-24 they seem to be much less appealing, a little less together or mature, now this isn't always, but on the whole.

SO i'd say, yea, I think the 30's are probably now the "fun" years, because with longer education cycles with more master's degrees, people are "starting" their adult lives later, and in the 30's you'd seemingly have stuff tied down a bit more, probably make more money, in some cases, have less debt, so yea.

I'd certainly looking forward to my 30's.....

m

17. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    I am 23 now, at 30 I will have been married for 10 years and have a 7 year old daughter. By 40, 20 years marriage and a 17 year old. But, by 45, my wife and I will have an empty nest and only be in the "new 30s" with the rest of the folks who are adjusting their reading glasses to find the little velcro tabs on the diapers and going to PTA meetings. My wife and I will then have the rest of our lives to screw around and a hell of a lot more money to screw around with. Plus, I might actually get to spend some time with my great-grandkids.

18. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i guess we will have to send your personal stats and mailing address to AARP ;)

and for the rest of you rationalizing because there are people getting their master's degrees, that argument does not hold water for the nearly 92% percent of people who do not have a master's degree (or higher) or the 74% percent of people who don't have a bachelor's degree (or higher)

i think maybe we, in the mtv and post-mtv generation, want to party longer and live with mom and dad longer...gone are the days when the average kid gets kicked out of the house forever at age 18 to go work at the factory or move into the big city and get married a couple of years later

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Keep yourself in shape-excercise regularly and eat decent meals and you won't care how old you are. I'm 38 and look better than I did in my early 20s. And even though I have arthritis in both knees, I can't wait to turn 40!

20. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

Old

Just turned 37, and I'm feeling pretty old and out of shape. Probably because I sit on my ass all day at this computer reading threads like this one. :eek:

21. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

if i remember correctly, you are that guy with the huge, impressive guitar collection

sell some of that stuff off and buy yourself some home gym equipment...either that, or strut up and down the stage for 2 hours a night like angus young ;)

22. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

i second that! i'll be 34 in a few months, and i'm getting a little retrospective. looking at what i've accomplished once i started applying myself, if only i would have started about 10 years earlier. :eek:

23. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Simple cure: go to the gym and run a few days a week, and drink water, no soda/beer! ;)

24. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Since 1984 or before... it's news from every Macexpo ;)

25. kjr39 macrumors 6502

Oops. :eek:

Although, you do not know how true that is. On multiple occasions I have been called the world's youngest senior citizen because in my early 20s I used to complain about those "college kids" and their attitudes.

Although I haven't started wearing my pants up past my belly button.......yet.

I don't know that it is because we want to party more, rather we want more out of life than working in a factory, getting married, and busting out kids by we are 25. In fact, the people that I do know that did that are miserable and struggling with starting their career, raising a family, etc, etc.

It just always made sense to me to wait until my 30s to start having kids, while I build a base now in my career and household, enjoy traveling now, and ensure that my wife and I grow together and bond without the stressors of raising a child right away.

Then again, as time goes by, the more reluctant I am to break from the lifestyle that I have and enjoy quite terribly.