Is AirPlay here to stay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lupend88, Jul 6, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

lupend88

I apologize if this sounds like a dumb question, but I'm debating spending nearly $3K an AirPlay speaker from Bang & Olufsen (link below).

I'm asking because if I spend this much money on a speaker, I want to be able to use it for 10+ years.

Do you think AirPlay technology will stick around for a long time, preferably a loooooong time? lol

http://www.beoplay.com/Products/BeoplayA9#just-add-music

2. macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I'm confident you'll be good for 10+ years.

3. macrumors 601

It would be good if the B&O gives u a set of WIRED jacks so they can function as normal speakers, not tied to Airplay, as needed.

4. macrumors 68020

Solomani

Good question. Might be worthwhile to shoot off an email to the Apple CEO and ask him if Apple is long-term committed to Airplay.

5. macrumors 68040

3k speakers. Wow.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

^^^ I asked opinions of the community, I'm not asking for a definite answer.

7. macrumors 65816

Forgive me for asking, but don't you think investing $3000 in a mere speaker is an exorbitant choice?

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

A little, but thats why I'm investigating before pulling the trigger. To me, Bang & Olufsen has a lot of similarities to Apple. Beautifully designed, simple, artistic, and pricey. This would be something I intend on keeping as long as possible, thats why I'd like the assurance that AirPlay will stick around as well.

9. macrumors member

I am more of an audio guy than an Apple guy.

If there is no wired hookup, I would not do it.

We all know in 3 yrs there will be Airplay 2.0 and then Airplay 3.0....then everyone with "the original Airplay" will lose support, updates, etc...

I didn't look at the speaker link, but I would just buy a B&O receiver and wired speakers with airplay...just to be safe.

This is coming from the guy with a 2k 3D TV...other than looking awesome in the glasses, all they are good for is collecting dust...

10. macrumors 601

Until one gets to 10k and it's made to order and a tech shows up with white gloves to install and calibrate...

11. macrumors 6502

Read the link kinda fast but it seems like it has wired connectors too.

I think airplay will be around for awhile but wouldnt be surprised if down the road, apple found a really silly reason to change the specs of airplay to prevent usage on older tech. In those cases you can buy an updated airport express or something and wire it up without too much trouble.

12. macrumors 601

^+1.

In one swoop, 30-pin out, Lightening in, all 30-pins accessories to the museum. Just saying.

13. macrumors 65816

AirPlay is here to stay, but personally I'd invest in a wired speaker, hooking it up to a receiver and use an AirPort Express that is optically connected to the receiver.

14. macrumors 68030

Who can even say with any certainty that the iPhone platform will be around in ten years considering the platform itself is only 6 years old now? Even the Blackberry phone is only 10 years old (and almost certainly will NOT be around in 10 years).

I'm not a doom-and-bloomer who is convinced disaster looms at every product introduction, but 10 years is a long time.

15. macrumors 65816

AirPlay is actually older than the iPhone and was released in 2004.

16. macrumors 68030

Thanks, didn't know that.

17. macrumors G3

Looking at those speakers I can understand why you like the looks of them. I hope you have listened to them before deciding on them.

AirPlay should be around for a long time. And even if Apple updates the AirPlay protocol , it should still be compatible with the the current AirPlay speakers.

And worst case there is a line in you can use according to the web page you linked so at the least the speakers will still be useable even if something (which I doubt) happens to AirPlay.

18. macrumors 604

cynics

I'd also ask yourself if YOU want to be using airplay and apple 10+ years from now. That's just too tight of an ecosystem for me personally.

19. macrumors 601

Phones, yes, but speakers, people tend to keep for a long time. There just isn't big innovations with speakers every 12 months.

20. macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I was going to start a similar thread like this not too long ago. What do you guys think about auxiliary jacks? What is their highest potential? It's amazing that they've been around as long as digital audio has been evolving.

21. macrumors 68000

1. I suspect that most people that believe this is a lot of money to spend on speakers have never heard great home speakers.

2. The OP wants to keep the speakers for 10+ years. Ironically, most of the people commenting on this post will buy 5 $700 phones during that same time period (yes, the phone costs you that much whether you're paying the amount outright or subsidized over time). At the end of the 10 years you will have an outdated phone and great speakers will still sound great.

22. macrumors 68030

I meant phones. I know the speakers will still be working, but in ten years Apple could be a memory.

23. macrumors 601

For sum1 with so many Apple toys, must say, u are non-believer? ^)

24. macrumors 68030

I'm a non believer in many things. I'm sure when Blackberry was on top its fans couldn't conceive of a day when BB wouldn't be around - just a few years later it's hard to imagine they're still in business. If I could predict 10 years out, I'd tell you what stocks to buy.

25. macrumors G3

30-pin lasted 10 years, and you can still use most of those accessories with an adapter.