Is airport wireless any more cancer causing then a portable phone cell and home?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DavidCL23, May 27, 2002.

1. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

Is airport wireless netwrok 802.11b any more cancer causing then a portable phone cell and home?
    Should I worry about installing one at my parents place, they are old and I love them, so I really don't want to put them at risk, even if the risk is small.
    Thanks in advance, please don't reply unless you REALLY know what you are talking about, I don't want to know your opinions on such an important issue, I only need facts.
    Thanks,
    David Cappell

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: Is airport wireless any more cancer causing then a portable phone cell and home?

No its not. Whats more, there is very little evidence that cell phones or any wireless devices can cause cancer. They do emit electromegnetic fields, but the Earth itself puts out an EM field many many many times stronger. The only people I think have any real risk are those who live directly under those powerlines carrying lots of lines. I wish newpspaers and magazines wouldn't report each study done as if its scientific fact all of a sudden. For each study saying there's a risk, there's another that find no correlation, and many of these studies failed to account for different variables.

3. Dr_Floyd macrumors member

no

No, Airport does not cause any adverse health effects. The 2.4Ghz that Airport transmitts on is on the bottom end of the microwave band, How ever you get more microwave energy from the sun in an hour then you do in several years of airport usage.

Dr. H. Floyd
    P.h.D AstroPhysics

4. DavidCL23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Re: no

Thank you so much, do you happed to know where I can find proof for your statment (my parents are kinda worried), and I also know a lot of people that will find that very interesting?

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Bah, most of the worry is because they can't tell you conclusively whether it does or doesn't hurt you at this point, and people NEED guidance. ;) Now, let's take a look back at DDT... :D

6. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Oh geeze

Tell em that they get more radiation from standing infront of the microwave then they do from using an airport for 100 years!

I mean, do they have a TV? What about a light bulb? Or a computer? ALL of those emit radiation. None of it is harmful.

Dont worry, they wont die.

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

You are at significantly higher risk from:

Being struck by lightning.

EMF's from your CRT or TV.

Your Cell phone ( microwave transmitter with multi-mile range.)

Having an aneurism on the toilet.

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Is the airport going into a desktop or laptop?? If desktop, they will get more radiation from the screen then the airport. If a laptop, then they will probably get more from the display. :D

I agree with the people commenting about getting more radiation from being on the planet (essentially), so tell them to not worry about it.

How old are they?? I'd bet that they have already gotten more radiation then they will ever get from the airport setup.