Is America a Christian Nation? No

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chacala_Nayarit, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Ever heard Christians say 'America is a Christian nation!'? Well this nontract from FFRF explains:

:)

2. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

it doesnt always matter what the "law" says. ppl call america a christian nation due to the amount of ppl in the country that lay claim to the christian belief system

3. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

that's a fair point, though the Declaration of Independence reads in part (emphases in red are mine):

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

so we did give God a shout out at the beginning, which implies recognition of the spiritual world, at the very least.

not that I'm supporting the spiritual thing at all, I'm just saying it's there.

I guess the intention was that the Constitution is always a work in progress, and can (some say should) be altered to reflect the times.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

But there's nothing about Christ there.

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I'd succinctly respond to the question put forth the same as with most rhetorical questions. No.

6. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I agree. About 3/4 of Americans claim to be Christians. Source

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

There's a difference between a Christian nation and a predominantly Christian nation guys.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And yet a large group of them consistently claim that they are being oppressed...

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

split up in so many denominations and straight cults that it's not even funny:

Christianity. Note that in the NSRI and ARIS studies, based on self-identification, Christianity includes: Catholic, Baptist, Protestant, Methodist/Wesleyan, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Pentecostal/Charismatic, Episcopalian/Anglican, Mormon/Latter-day Saints/LDS, Churches of Christ, Jehovah's Witness, Seventh-Day Adventist, Assemblies of God, Holiness/Holy, Congregational/United Church of Christ, Church of the Nazarine, Church of God, Eastern Orthodox, Evangelical, Mennonite, Christian Science, Church of the Brethren, Born Again, Nondenominational Christians, Disciples of Christ, Reformed/Dutch Reformed, Apostolic/New Apostolic, Quaker, Full Gospel, Christian Reform, Foursquare Gospel, Fundamentalist, Salvation Army, Independent Christian Church, Covenant Church, Jewish Christians, plus 240,000 adults classified as "other" (who did not fall into the preceding groups).

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

We aren't, but some want to turn us into one. Mainly those who want to use others' religion to gain further power and money. Those of us who know better don't want religion involved in politics as much as it is because it tends to make things worse not better. Ask David Kuo. Politics pervert religion. And those hypocrites who wear Bibles on their sleeves, then do the exact opposite, are the worst people to decide what any of us should believe. Especially those who truly believe.

Of course, those who are just using religion to justify their otherwise unjustifiable beliefs are more than happy to turn over their lives to people who are screwing them over every chance they get for some reason.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well it's tough when the bad, evil, nasty, secularist heathens won't let you discriminate against people you don't like- especially those evil homos and muslims! Oh the oppression!
    :rolleyes:

12. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

America is founded on Christian principles, but as a nation we have broken every one of God's commandments... so NO. However, there are many people of many faiths in the land (freedom of choice is a Christian principle, as well) and we are a better nation because of this. Love and tolerance should be our code.

Imop, only God decides which nations shall lead the world, and for now, we are chosen. Must be doing something right.:)

p.s. What is the op's agenda?:rolleyes:

13. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

that just about says it all

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

No we aren't. Did you read any of what the OP posted? Have you looked at the Constitution? Nowhere in the document does it mention God or Christianity.

You're also ridiculous for calling freedom of choice a 'Christian principle'. It's just as easily a Jewish principle or an athiest principle. Or it can just be a moral (and yes, people CAN be moral WITHOUT religion) principle.

EDIT: Okay, your whole post is just off. I hope you're being sarcastic.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

America has committed adultery? :eek: With who?

16. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I heard America was out of control and sleeping with everyone at this sweet party at Brazil's house last weekend.

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

America was founded on a hybrid of English common law and untested French philosophy.

This country was cobbled together while Inquisitions were in progress, a fact that wasn't lost on the founders. Indeed, they tried to insulate their new nation from religious tyrrany.

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh you have got to be kidding me. You honestly believe the reason the US is the sole surviving superpower is because some "God" allows it?

Please stop thinking along national boundaries - that's why there's so much trouble in the first place. People thinking that their little patch of land, divided from the other little patches of land by an arbitrary line, is the best and that their "God" is better than all the other "Gods."

We've got to start pulling together before we make the planet uninhabitable for us - yes, life will go on but I'd really like MY life to go on.

19. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nah, it's all lies. America was just milling around, not drinking, avoiding North Korea like the plague and inviting all the other nations to come along to a "youth group" on the weekend.

At least that's what I heard from Canada, we were totally plastered most of the night after drinking with the UK, smoking some fat Cuban cigars - legally and when Afghanistan turned up in a somewhat dishevelled state he screamed at America for an hour or two (something about leaving them behind when they were supposed to be giving them a lift to the party and how all they seem to care about is Iraq and how it's a self-destructive relationship blah blah blah) they cracked out the good ganja and the night's just a blur from then on.

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

They've got the best heroin in town for sure.

21. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Do you believe that God favored the Muslim Turks in the 15th century, or the Confucian/Buddhist Chinese before that? Why was the Pagan Roman Empire so successful while the Roman Empire fell rather quickly after it adopted Christianity?

(also, are you aware that US power has declined dramatically since the end of WWII?)

22. aquajet macrumors 68020

The US is leading the world in what, exactly?

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Empty promises?

24. Oblivious macrumors 6502

Carbon Dioxide emissions.;)

25. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I can respect all your views and you certainly have the 'God given right' to have them - but you can't respect my right to have mine?:confused:

I thought America came about by a bunch of protestant Christians revolting from the English Church/Monarchy - but I guess those are just the lies they teach here in America, home of the brave and land of the free. Now That's not a lie. Least somebody holds the rest of the a -holes in this whacked world accountable for their actions. Rest of them are a bunch of wusses afraid of getting their hands dirty doing the world's dirty work.:mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.