Is America still Land of the Free?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by amnesiac1984, Apr 16, 2004.

1. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

I really don't see how it can be anymore. What with so much censorship in the media since the super-bowl, and the patriot act, and the anti-gay movement. Maybe its too free, too free so the powerful are using their freedoms to overcome the weak. For example corporate freedom has been expanded and so corporations now walk all over the individual. And this mentality is allowed and perpetuated by the fear of anything that isn't 100% capitalist, and peoples misconceptions that what is good for a company must be good for America. Without the slightest thought that maybe what's good for consumers and employees might be good for companies.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

We are no where near as free as our politicians would have us believe, especially the ones running for reelection. We are also not as deprived of our liberty as the conspiracy nuts would have us believe, although every time I hear Ashcroft talk my own paranoia grows. As the old civil rights slogan says, "freedom is a constant struggle" and this struggle is no where near over.

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Seems to me that the only arena for corporations to affect me is in my billfold, and outside of food, booze and gasoline they're SOL.

Land of the free? I've been griping "Police State!" since around 1973 and the obvious--to me--fact that the War on Drugs was lost, but the laws became ever more Draconian. Then, when I observed the misuse of the RICO act...

So far, the Patriot Act is a potential for abuse insofar as accusations of terrorism, rather than actual abuse. In my view, overall, it protects the governmental High & Mighty more than it does the average Joe Sixpack. I"d be happier with it were there more provisions for accountability on the part of governmental employees. (I've been on a federal jury in a criminal trial, and was underwhelmed by the perspicacity of the prosecutor.)

Land of the free? When a kid is kicked out of school for pointing a finger at another kid and saying, "Bang!"? Or kicked out for having a prescription drug? Duh? When a woman could be in fear because she's wearing a fur coat upon which some idiot might pour paint? Free, when governments can take property without proper recompense or accountability?

Enuf...

'Rat