1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

is an airport base station firewall enough protection?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by blappy, Aug 2, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

I was wondering if the firewall in my airport base station as well as having the firewall option switched on on my mac is enough protection. I see that the airport takes the actual IP address from my ISP, and I have a local IP address, so that sounds good, right?

what about using an anonymous proxie server? Should I investigate this?

AND, I have no virus protection software installed - I did for many years, but never found a virus, so I bailed on it - am I a dummy?

cheers!!

blappy

2. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I'll assume you're running OS X.

X is very secure by nature, with few vulnerabilities. Apple's software updates keeps a tight ship, be sure you're updating your software on a regular basis. Using an Airport setup provides one more barrier between your computer and the internet, so it's safer than OS X's firewall alone, and I leave my own computer with just my built-in firewall. I think you'll be just fine, much more secure than 90% of computers on the internet.

As for viruses, again I wouldn't worry. Macs are notoriously almost invulnerable to virii... If you are paranoid, as some are, it doesn't hurt anything to install one. But it's not something I would consider a necessity...

pnw

3. macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

As far as the firewall goes, you're perfectly all right with your setup. A couple of things though:

-I HIGHLY recommend turning on the 128-bit encryption. That way, people can't get credit card numbers off of you as the signal is en route from your Mac to the base station.
    -I also highly recommend changing the name of the wireless network. Loads of folks never change the name of their wireless networks, and that is a bad thing.
    -Consider turning off DHCP and using manual IP addresses. If you do this, also change your local IP address range from the default (I recommend 192.168.x.x).
    -Disable automatic wireless network name broadcasting (I forget what that is called specifically).

If you can't figure out how to do some of these, don't bother too much--but those first two are MUST-DO things.

As for virus protection, you don't need it. If you get it anyway, DON'T USE NORTON. Use something else, use anything but Norton.

4. macrumors newbie

hey! thanks for the help.

I did what you told me with the airport config.

cheers!!

blappy

I agree with you re: norton...

I believe that in some circles they call it "Norton Futilities"