Is an extra 0.17GHz worth $165?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GULCkid, Apr 15, 2005.

1. GULCkid macrumors member

I priced two 15" PowerBooks, one with 1.5GHz, and one with 1.67GHz. Otherwise, they seem to be exactly the same (after customization).

Is the extra 0.17GHZ worth the $165 increase?

I will be using the laptop to take notes, view/create PDFs, watch movies (avis, dvds, etc.), listen to music, surf the web, email, etc. No photoshop/3d games/etc.

It is, however, really important to me that the comp be as quick and responsive as possible. Will the extra 0.17GHz make a big difference in that regard?

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Probably not. I always like to have the newest product, but if you don't mind then I would just save the memory and upgrade to 1.25 or 1.5 GB of RAM. (Rev. C Powerbook have 2 RAM slots, usually one of which containing 256 MB or sometimes both slots) That will increase your preformance a lot.

3. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

No it wouldn't. However, Apple knowing many people will want the 128 Video ram priced this one $165 more. Therefore, if you want the extra video ram you have to buy the one for $165 more.

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

5. GULCkid thread starter macrumors member

So you think I should get the 128MB VRAM thing? Is that really necessary for my purposes?

6. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

It'll make Tiger (at least) incrementally better (for Core Image / Core Video performance.) You'll also gain the ability to hook up to a 30" Cinema Display, as soon as you have another $3000 or so for a monitor.

7. GULCkid thread starter macrumors member

IC, so if I use Tiger, and I try to watch DVDs or AVIs, and deal with PDFs, it will be kind of slow/choppy, but the 128MB VRAM will make it a little better?

I won't be using an external screen/display, so that isn't a concern for me.

Thanks

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

it would increase future-proofness and also like Rod Rod said be better for tiger. it's a $100 upgrade on a $2000 machine also.

9. GULCkid thread starter macrumors member

It would be better I guess, but would it be worth it for my purposes over the next 3 years?

It would cost an extra $255 to get the 128VRAM (more than a 10% price increase), and I'm a student, so I really want to make sure I'm not wasting my money for my purposes over the next 3 years (3 years from now I will toss it out and get a new one).

10. iGary Guest

iGary

The VRAM is definitely worth it.

11. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

You shouldn't have any choppiness playing DVDs or AVIs that 128MB VRAM would help compared to 64MB VRAM . . . at least if there is any difference I doubt it'll be night and day. 64MB will suffice but 128MB sure would be nice.

If the 128MB VRAM upgrade were available on the current 1.5GHz model I'd go for that. Unfortunately it isn't (as far as I know).

12. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

I disagree. His use doesn't warrant it. He'd be better off using that money going to a non-apple site to buy additional RAM.

13. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

It's worth it.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

Tiger?

15. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

Tiger will work fine, it may not have all the graphics enabled - he states his use will be "I will be using the laptop to take notes, view/create PDFs, watch movies (avis, dvds, etc.), listen to music, surf the web, email, etc. No photoshop/3d games/etc."

wtf do I know I don't even own an Apple yet :) - I just feel if he isn't using major editing, etc. it would be nice to have 128, but not necessary. I don't need it, but I'm buying it. His case, he is a student and is looking to save a buck.

16. GULCkid thread starter macrumors member

Maybe it would be best to ask this question again after Tiger has been out for a while, so we don't have to speculate about what will or will not be enough for Tiger

Thanks guys

17. wide macrumors 6502a

The truth is, an iBook would suit your needs. still, you'd be much happier with a powerbook--and you will notice the difference in speed between the 1.5 ghz nad the 1.67 ghz models. I would pay the extra 255 dollars and then, instead of "tossing it out" sell it on ebay. the better video card and processor could be sold on ebay for at least 100 dollars more than the 1.5 ghz model....so over 3 years, you lose at most 50 dollars a year if you get the 1.67 ghz model, and you get a more pleasurable computing experience.

18. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I seriously doubt you will see any difference, even after Tiger has been out a while. Please save your money and go with the 64MB video card. I think computer users tend to get upgrade fever a bit, and lose sight of the real world situation. 64MB will do fabulously.
    The ONLY reason I would say that you should go with 128MB is if you are going to use a 30" Cinema Display. and that's it.

19. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't, but I think the best argument here for going with 128 is probably also the vaguest: future-proofing. In less than 3 years, even 128 might not seem like that much, and VRAM just might be even more important to Macs than it is now, but who knows.

20. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Instead of tossing it send it to me! XD

21. anjaki macrumors member

That 0.17GHZ is cheaper than the other 1.5GHZ if you work it out, so yes it is worth it.

22. lorenzo macrumors member

Where can i go to understand what the Rev B and Rev C means? I keep reading that on these forums, but am new. I dont seem to have a good grasp on exactly how often these computers... specificaly powerbooks, get updated.

23. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I agree. More ram will make a difference now. 512 is way low for a Mac.

As for greater RAM VRAM being a form of future proofing, that is just silly. In three years the 9600 will be a crap VPU whether it has 64 or 128 mb. In the PC world video card makers stick 256 mb of slow ram on budget cards for folks that think this way.

24. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

The 15" and 17" come with a Mobility Radeon 9700, which is a bit better than the 9600. The 128MB version has dual link DVI. It's good stuff.

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I do more than you on my Mac, and I have a slower system than the one you specified. So no, you don't need the 0.17GHz increase in CPU speed or the better video card. The speed increase is very little, and quite frankly, unnecessary to do all those non-intensive tasks you plan on doing. Trust me on that. ;)

You won't need any more than 64MB video card and a 1.5GHz G4. Heck, you can do with a 14" iBook, although I'd wait to see if an update is made to the iBook line. Hopefully the new video cards will be CoreImage compatible, but either way, it doesn't matter for what you do.

I'd get the 15" 1.5GHz G4 Powerbook base model because you won't benefit from the upgrades. You'll benefit from RAM though, at least 768 MB is good. That's all you'd need as well.

Abstract
    12" 1GHz G4 Powerbook with 1.25GB of RAM.