Is an iMac right?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wanda, Feb 26, 2007.

1. wanda macrumors member

Howdy all. I'm a fairly recent switcher (standard issue macbook 1.83/512mb august 06). I'm thoroughly convinced mac is the way to go. My wife has been harder to convince but now that she has messed with my macbook for a few weeks she's getting onboard. I have no intention of "upgrading" our dell to vista so i'm trying to find the right mac for us. Particulary for her...she does a lot of audio editing in "cool edit pro" for her job. i don't believe syntrillium makes cool edit for OSX but i know you can run windows programs on a mac (parallels?)...so i guess my question is, would the iMac be suitable for this, running cool edit on a mac. I know you can get an audio editing program for mac other than cool edit but she's gonna have to take workparts and transfer them back to her work which is nothing but pc and cool edit based, hence the need to use cool edit only. any advice. thanks in advance.

ps...sorry if that sounded like a run-on sentance..guess i'm a stream of thought thread poster.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It would work just fine. Max out the ram and she'll be very happy with it.

Is cooledit the only software she needs for work?

3. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Cool Edit (which technically no longer exists, its Adobe Audition now) is Windows only, but should work just fine in Parallels. I've found Soundtrack Pro to be an excellent replacement for the things I used to use Sound Forge and Cool Edit for, but it's not exactly the same, so I understand it may not be a replacement for everybody.

4. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Make sure to check the refurb section on Apples site, I got a nice 17" iMac Core2Duo for $1049 and I love it, my first Intel Mac. I have Vista installed in Parallels runs great.

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

You know there are many sound editing programs for the Mac, including Apple's Logic Pro. However, since your wife needs Cool for work you are really asking if Windows runs as well on Apple's Intel machines as it does on Dell's. If you install Boot Camp then you have a Windows machine and can compare an Apple to a Dell spec for spec. I suspect a new anything will run better than your old Dell. Since you have a Macbook why don't you do a test run under Boot Camp and Parallels? Best wishes.

6. jarinehart macrumors newbie

I don't know what your wife does with Cool Edit Pro, but there are is lot of great audio editing software for a Mac (Audacity is free, Logic, Peak, Pro Tools, etc). I use Macs (Pro Tools) with my home a/v business, but at the radio station I worked at they used Cool Edit (I ended up using Audacity at the station) and I think that she'll find that the learning curve on a new software built for the mac will be short and sweet.

7. wanda thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, i guess i could do a test run but since my macbook won't have the processor power of the imac i didn't think it would be a fair comparison. I'm mostly concerned with the program running slow which makes me wonder if boot camp would be better rather than just parallels though i love the convinience of parallels.

"Ugg It would work just fine. Max out the ram and she'll be very happy with it.

Is cooledit the only software she needs for work?"

Yep, as far as i know its the only software she would need to go back and forth with.

I know there's some really nice professional editing software out there specifically for the mac but i'm trying to cut out any new learning curve at all and the possibility that cool edit pro (adobe audition) won't work with other files from another digital editor.

I'm not the sharpest of computer guys so if i'm being misguided here please let me know.

I happen to be in the apple store in Minneapolis yesterday and i'll tell ya, just messing with the imac for 20 minutes or so made me want to just pick it up and take her home, financial responsibility be damned!

by the way, just how do you do multiple quotes for a post?

8. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

For muliple posts, click on the "+ button besides every "quote" button. To break up a post, you'll have to add the [ QUOTE ] tags to start the quote and [ /QUOTE ] to end it (without the spaces). You can also select the text you want to quote and click on the "wrap quote tags around text" button, right beside the "insert image" button when you're writing a reply.

To the OP: Booting up in windows will probably be faster than running parallels, but in any case the iMac should be just fine :)

9. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

10. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Just out of interest, what does your wife do?

11. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Have a look at Adobe Soundbooth. It's a new app for macs that they say has the "spirit of cool edit". It's not out/finished yet but you can download a free beta (rough test version) and try it out. I don't know if this is suitable for what your wife wants...

12. wanda thread starter macrumors member

Shes a DJ. She does a 4 hour shift here locally and also sends out three other shows to different stations around the south east (usa). After all that she images the station she's on here as well as some other one i georgia, and she also has regular local commercials to voice and produce.

i'm going to check out the new adobe stuff and see how it works. i think she said they still use the cool edit stuff at her office. guess they either dont want to pay to upgrade or not aware of it.

thanks for the tip dllavaneras.