Is anyone a police officer? I have general questions about the police academy.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furryrabidbunny, Dec 6, 2006.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Does anyone have law enforcement experience? I am about to take my written and physical exams Tuesday, and I am stressed out about the academy. I keep getting mixed stories about it, and I just want more info. Is it basically a glorified bootcamp or more like attending college? My greatest fear is I wont be able to meet the sure physicality of it, the test for Arizona DPS isn't much, I have the mile and a half beaten by about five and a half minutes, but I'm not a triathlete. Any general experience or thoughts about it would be very welcomed.

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

3. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

4. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Good Luck Furry,

I have a friend who went to work for the Dept. of Transportation and she had to go through the academy. She made. If she (a mother of 2 and she was not prone to running or exercise) you can.

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If you can make a wide variety of useful sound effects with your mouth you should be okay.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Start working out regularly, you will need it come summer.

Since you will basically feel you are wearing a sweater/jacket during the summer.

7. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

If your boss likes to holler at you through a megaphone, use some superglue to attach it to his lips permanently.

:rolleyes:

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, definitely watch the Police Academy documentaries. In fact, watch all 8 or 9 of them.

9. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Well, the academy must be easy here in Portland because...well, the majority of cops are good but the ones that are bad...are really bad.

Good luck! I just ask that you be the good cop, the one who helps the grandma accross the road and catches the murderer not the one who beats the crap out of a helpless homeless guy.

While I don't know about the academy, I do know that being a cop is HARD. My grandpa was an officer in LA in the 60s in the youth department. At 35 he had a heart attack chasing down a criminal. He rarely talks about it, but when he does, he tells me two things: the first is that it is difficult to see so many people in trouble and not be able to help them all, and the second is that when you are able to help someone, it is one of the greatest feelings you can have.

Anyway, again, good luck.

10. BearRanger macrumors member

BearRanger

Howdy,

I successfully went through the academy in Washington state.

I believe the physical requirements are the same everywhere, and really, they're not that tough. The hardest event was the 1.5 mile run. Since you've got that down the rest will be easy. As to the academy itself, the biggest thing to remember is "yes sir", "no sir", "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am". Just do everything you're asked to do. In some ways it's just a big game, and as long as you follow the rules you'll do fine.

It's more like college than it is like boot camp. Make that community college. In WA the hardest parts were police procedures and criminal law. Don't take the academic work lightly.

Also, don't be afraid of firearms. Respect them, and respect the range boss. You can wash out for being unsafe on the range.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes. And feel free to write me privately if you have specific questions.

Ranger

11. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Thanks for the info...

This page has the requirements I must meet http://www.azdps.gov/hr/employment/Officer.asp
    I'll be honeset they aren't much. I've been running with a 20 pound vest now to add extra weight... and I've timed it, I've walked that event in that amount of time. My brother in law, a detective with DPS, said the same thing about the academy, I just wanted to hear other people's opinion. The education portion is something that doesn't worry me. Don't take me wrong, I am not taking it lightly, but I've never been failed academcially when I've tried. My last three semesters of college I held 4.0s. I look forward to learning more about the law (I took one criminal justice class in college). I know in the back of my mind they are moving away from the model athlete officer and more to the balanced, educated individual to cut back on bad decision making and poor judgement, I just struggle with self doubt.

12. angelneo macrumors 68000

I agreed that as much, it would be damm stupid to get yourself killed or injured during training if it can be avoided when you just need to be more careful (or even worse, horseplaying)

13. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Can't help you with academy or DPS stuff, but I can tell you that police officers get free drinks at QuikTrip.

14. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I was in the process for FBI Special Agent a couple of years ago. I found the folks on www.911jobforums.com/ to be very helpful, especially with the kinds of questions you are asking.

As far as physical fitness goes, look up the Peace Plan while you are there. It will kick your butt, but you will be all the better for it.

15. BearRanger macrumors member

BearRanger

Right, the academic portion isn't that hard. As I said, it's at best community college level stuff. There's an old joke that I'm sure you'll hear at the academy. "You know what they call the recruit who just barely scraped through the academy with a 70% score?"

"Officer".

If I can offer you one more piece of advice: work on your self doubt issues. So much of what your new career is about will be making a decision--hopefully the correct decision--in a short period of time. You'll have to diffuse volatile situations that could potentially lead to you or someone else getting hurt. You won't have time to second guess yourself, and if you appear indecisive you will be taken advantage of and you won't be effective. Remember, the public is *always* watching.

When you're at the academy signs of self doubt will be noticed, and your instructors will hammer you for it. When you go through mock scenes, self doubt will cause you to fail. So if you're going to pursue this line of work actively work at building your self confidence.

Again, good luck. I trust you'll let us all know when you graduate?

Ranger