Is anyone able to have PC users view a photocast?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tivoboy, Jan 30, 2006.

1. tivoboy macrumors 68030

So, publishing some photocasts is a nice thing, and easy, but how does one make it accessable for users of PC's on Windows? I have tried mozilla, firefox, internet explorer, none seem to handle the RSS feed that .mac sets up, or the podcast sets up.

2. tivoboy thread starter macrumors 68030

3. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

reviving an old thread instead of creating a new one...

can anyone suggest a very simple pc browser or other program that can work with a photocast rss feed? my parent (60+ years old) dont have a mac (yet...) and i would love to give them access to our photocasts of our kids.

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The Firefox browser works, but it loads it essentially as a 'bookmark folder', where you have to pick each individual picture one at a time from the bookmark list. If you try to go to the RSS file directly, Firefox asks you to save it. You have to add the link as a 'Live Bookmark'.

THe Sage plugin for Firefox makes RSS feeds a lot nicer, in that it will display the individual 'articles' in a grid in the main browser window (which means showing thumbnails of ALL of the photos in a photocast.) You add it by going to the 'Manage Feed List' option, and adding a new Bookmark.

The thing to remember is that iPhoto gives you a url that says 'photocast.mac.com', but to get it to work in anything other than iPhoto, you need to use 'web.mac.com'. So just edit the URL it gives you to say web.mac.com instead of photocast.mac.com, and it'll work great. (If you try going to 'photocast.mac.com/...', .Mac itself will give an error page saying that your browser doesn't support proper photocasts, and has the 'correct' web.mac.com URL listed at the bottom. But it's not a link, you need to copy and paste it.

So, for example, let's say Steve Jobs has a feed called 'keynote'. iPhoto will tell you the URL is http://photocast.mac.com/steve/iPhoto/keynote/index.rss You really want to use http://web.mac.com/steve/iPhoto/keynote/index.rss (Please note that I made these up. They are fake, and do not exist.)

5. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

thanks.

looks like i will have to set it up for them but can use it as a learning experience to write a quick set of instructions for those more computer savvy in the family.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

If you want, I can email you the directions I wrote up for my dad. (Or I can just post it here, if requested.)

7. lidocayne macrumors newbie

That would be great if you could post these! Thank you.