Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecche

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2003
a very kiwi place
Hi,

Maybe I'm missing out on something, but I wonder if somebody is actually using SHERLOCK? If so, then please let us know why.

Personally, I find it the least attractive app in Apple history. I gave it a try after each and every update, but so far I could not be persuaded to move it into my dock.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
When it came out i used it all the time to search lots of search engines at once. Lately, however, I rarely use it. I think I only use it to check movie times, and some times I don't even use sherlock for that. The app may be useless now, but that is really because Apple has integrated a lot of the functions it performed into the system itself. I think eventually, it will be gone, absorbed into the system like a lot of other programs.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i use it for the dictionary basically because i cant be bothered to open the actual thing that is right in front of me!

iBook

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
On a tugboat
I use it for movies. It's really the coolest part of Sherlock, imho.

I like that it gives you the theatre name and address -- meanwhile, it preloads the trailer and you can watch it in the browser -- and show times. Way cool. :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
iBook said:
I use it for movies. It's really the coolest part of Sherlock, imho.

I like that it gives you the theatre name and address -- meanwhile, it preloads the trailer and you can watch it in the browser -- and show times. Way cool. :)

I use it for that too -- the trailers are really nicely integrated and you hardly have to wait at all for them to start streaming. Also, I occasionally use it to look up addresses to restaurants and stuff like that, although I usually use Mapquest in Safari....

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Actually, I do use it

I actually think Sherlock is a good program. I use the phone book all the time, and the maps are actually acurate (unlike the mapquest maps IMHO).

As others have stated, the movie listings are cool too. I also use it to track e-bay listings (especially when I'm selling)

I guess I'm in the minority, but I think it's a worthwhile program.

-alywa

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Other channels

There are a lot of new channels added to Sherlock in the collections called "Other Channels". Excellent addons. I was surprised nobody ever mentions anything about them. I agree with everyone, it needs an update to make it worthwhile or just removed and have it's features integrated in the finder or something. To bad Panther didn't expand on it or take that idea farther along.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
i used to use it in os 9, but not so much in X. However, when X.1 first came out i used the __________ program which was exactlly like the current version of sherlock (can't remember the name of it, but it was faster than sherlock). Whatever it was, it was showcased at one of the expos. Actually, i think it might have been a develper confrence.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
I never noticed those other channels. The only channels I used were translation and movies. I should start using Sherlock more often. I really don't need to open Safari to check my stocks, flights, eBay, the phonebook, and the dictionary. When Steve shows off Tiger, he should perhaps demo Sherlock again. Sherlock is quicker for those things than Safari. In a way, Sherlock could be a better web browser!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
sethypoo said:
Doesn't Sherlock use MapQuest maps? :confused:

According to the software itself, it credits Maps on Us, which seems to use its own maps, so apparently no. The maps seem fairly good, although they don't tell you which side of the street a destination is on. :(

I think MapQuest is pretty good, but they do need to work on the whole "take the xxx exit, take a slight left on the xxxx exit, take a left on the xxx exit" thing for on/off ramps. There are like five lines of instructions to handle an interchange. Sheesh! :eek:

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
sherlock = enhanced movies section of newspaper

I use Sherlock to check out what's playing at the local theater's, it's MUCH faster than using the internet. It remembers my zip, so I just open it up and find out what's playing, and I can even watch a preview right there.

Sherlock = Nice Idea, Poor Implementation.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
yes, I use it. Dictionary, translator, and movies (my favorite!). It's not the most useful app in history, but I'd sure rather have it than not!

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
i use it. soem news headlines and movies.

never the translator though.

i use it as it's so retro.

and i like googling from the command line. :p

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
I used to use it for:

Movies: But then I moved and some of the theaters at my new location aren't listed, so it's useless.

Dictionary: But in the last four or five months the dictionary hasn't always worked, so now I just use a javascript word-entry bookmark to dictionary.com.

Translation: I still use this feature. But Sherlock has been removed from my dock because I don't need translation very often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.