Is anyone conciously putting off getting a Mac now and opting for the Mactels?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MUCKYFINGERS, Jun 25, 2005.

  1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

    goodtimes5

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2004
    Location:
    Bay Area
  2. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 13, 2005
    #3
    You live in an interesting dimension where logic is warped, and hamburgers eat people.
     
  3. aquajet macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2005
    Location:
    VA
    #4
    And what must a Mac have to make it 100% Mac?
     
  4. skubish macrumors 68030

    skubish

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    Location:
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    #5
    no I am waiting until I have the cash. I think it will be years before we see much difference between PPC Macs and Intel Macs.
     
  5. smitty078 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2004
    #6
    I'm specifically waiting until the mactels make their debut and then purchasing the most recent PPC mac that was before them. I know I will not be buying a first gen mactel if ever at all.
     
  6. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #7
    I think that a Mac is 100% when it comes from Apple. Components are switched at different points and that doesn't change the way it operates.

    I'm still ambivalent. My wife wants me to purchase something in case my Power Mac would die.
     
  7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

    Spanky Deluxe

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2005
    Location:
    London, UK
    #8
    No, if anything the Intel transition has got me even more keen to get a mac now, allbeit a low end one (i.e. the mac mini) to play with OSX and then to possibly get an x86 PowerBook to replace my Dell laptop when they come out.
     
  8. unfaded macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2002
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #9
    Somewhat. Mostly I'm making sure my eMac lasts until there are Intel Powerbooks. But it's not because it's an Intel. I was going to wait until something faster than a G4 was put into a Powerbook, and now it just happens to be Intel.

    So technically, yes I'm waiting, but not specifically because it's Intel. Just because it's (bound to be) considerably faster than what I have now.
     
  9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

    Duff-Man

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2002
    Location:
    Albuquerque, NM
    #10
    Duff-Man says....wow, now here's a thread that breaks into new uncharted territory... :rolleyes: .....oh yeah!
     
  10. Alasta macrumors regular

    Alasta

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2005
    Location:
    Wellington, New Zealand
    #11
    Initially, my gut reaction was that I would hold off replacing my machine and wait for the first Intel product. However, having followed all the discussion since the announcement, I've now pretty much decided to buy a new iBook as soon as they release the next PPC update.

    You might be interested in seeing my comments here.
     
  11. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

    Capt Underpants

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2003
    Location:
    Austin, Texas
    #12
    I am. My current powerbook will last me until the Powerbook line gets an intel upgrade, and probably even longer.
     
  12. johnny1290 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2004
    #13
    I am

    My iBook is about to croak, and instead of getting a new one i'm gonna buy a cheap $500 Toshiba instead....It's a pile but it'll do until the intel iBook is released, sometime next year? I hope...I just can't see buying a g4 this late in the game for 900 bucks or whatever
     
  13. Lacero macrumors 604

    Lacero

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #14
    I bought my PowerBook and G5 last year, so by the time I need to upgrade, it'll be the perfect time to pick up a Mactel.
     
  14. cbiffle macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2005
    Location:
    Tempe, AZ
    #15
    I was actually on the verge of selling my iMac (G5 1.8) and iBook (G4 800) to buy a new Powerbook. I realized that I use the iBook almost exclusively -- portability rocks -- but it's showing its age.

    (Heh. Showing its age. It's not even two years old. Apple needs to update the laptops; but I digress.)

    Now I'm sticking with my current machines in the hopes of a Centrino Powerbook. Sure, it'll be hell to code assembler for, but I've done x86.
     
  15. Les Kern macrumors 68040

    Les Kern

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2002
    Location:
    Alabama
    #16
    Nope, not at all. I just purchased 250 laptops and a Mini decked out for me. Never chase the technology. Get what you need when you need it.
     
  16. hhlee macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 19, 2005
    #17
    Wholeheartedly agree. I'm eagerly awaiting the rev b mactels. I'm consciously looking for budget hardware off forums - I mean come on, you can get slightly older rev hardware for so cheap! Put that money in an ingdirect savings account for 2 years and let it grow for that mactel.



     
  17. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #18
    Your actually going to change to a Windows based PC. :eek: Do you already have the needed software? Any concern about the Rev. A Intel Mac?
     
  18. Lacero macrumors 604

    Lacero

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #19
    As opposed to unconsciously?
     
  19. Koodauw macrumors 68040

    Koodauw

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2003
    Location:
    Madison
    #20
    Nope.

    Just bought a new PB, and intend to buy a new Mactel when they come out too. Pentium M sounds interesting.
     
  20. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

    DakotaGuy

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2002
    Location:
    South Dakota, USA
    #21
    I highly doubt you will see the whole "revision" thing when the Mactels come out. You will get a Mactel PC and it will be slowly improved as time goes on. Think PC world. They don't make "revisions" to a product. They introduce it and when faster chips or feature improvements come they add them. Since Apple is now using the same hardware, they can't just sit there and wait for the improvements to pile up and then introduce "rev b." They will be "fluid" like the PC business is now.
     
  21. SurfinSHELL23 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2004
    Location:
    Aberdeen, NJ
    #22
    I am. Well like someone posted earlier, I had planned to wait until G5 or whatever gets into the PowerBooks. I had bet on sometime next school year. Now it'll probably end up being next summer, maybe it will have some of the bugs out of it by then. I already have a Mac mini that I got in Jan 05 and a B&W G3 to thinker with, so I can pacify my desire for Macs until then.
     
  22. iindigo macrumors 6502a

    iindigo

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2002
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #23
    Personally I'm buying a top-notch iMac G5 to weather me over until the Intel PowerMacs are released in 2007 because although my current iMac G4 is great it's starting to lack in some areas...
     
  23. Plastic Avatar macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2004
    Location:
    West Virginia
    #24
    I thought about it.

    I had money saved up to buy a new Mac when the Mactel keynote hit. The announcement made me think a lot about my upcoming purchase- which machine, which version, etc.

    Turns out any model/version I bought would do what I needed. Mini, eMac, iBook, iMac, Powerbook, Power Mac, it didn't matter, they all run the software I need. I did, however, decide to go with something in a G5. I might as well get the newest/best chip generation I can afford, right?

    I did like the G4 iMacs. I hope I can afford to have one for kicks in a few years :D
     
  24. GUSTO macrumors member

    GUSTO

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2003
    Location:
    Scotland
    #25
    I got a Rev A Dual 2Ghz G5 and to be honest I was going to buy myself a PC for the simple fact it has more games on offer. But when steve anounced the Mactels I think I will hold off til they hit in 2007 and by then I will have best of both worlds :D
     

Share This Page