Is anyone else paranoid about the iSight in the iMac G5?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by milky23, Oct 24, 2005.

1. milky23 macrumors regular

I think I'll put a piece of paper in front of mine to hide it until I need to use it. How can we be *sure* its off? Chalk it up to my obsessive compulsive tendencies, perhaps ;). Heck, I'd buy a nice third party covering for it. Perhaps a magnetic cover would work if there was something for it to stick to in the display. Forgive me if this has been said before.

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I think there's supposed to be a green LED that indicates that it's on. Perhaps Apple could have put some sort of cover on it and yet still keep the aesthetics nice. Is there any type of plastic between you and the actual lens or is the lens "just there"?

3. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Man! Now I'm gonna think about that when mine comes next week haha!

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Someone's watching you... ;)

The iMac we've recently ordered is previous generation, so no iSight built-in :) No feel that somebody is watching me through that web-cam ;). I still use my miniDV cam as web-cam

5. California macrumors 68040

California

I'm paranoid about it and I've never even seen the new iMacs.

As much as we all don't want to think about, Orwell was right.

Very right.

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I was always paranoid about webcams, my favorite thing about the iSight when it came out was that it had a manually opening/closing shutter, so I didn't feel the need to unplug it when it wasn't in use :eek:

7. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm sure Griffin, Macally or another manufacturer will have somethingto cover it real sooh, personally.

8. dcv macrumors G3

I would be *so* paranoid about it. This is exactly why I just bought the previous model iMac!!!

Don't want people gawping at me across the internet :eek:

*move along now please, nothing to see here...*

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Meh, I'll give any one spying a good show. Stuff em, I'm sick of all this paranoia, whatever, I do what I want!

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I don't suspect they'd see very much of interest; a face looking at a monitor 90% of the time.

Unless you lot are doing a lot of far more interesting things in front of your iMacs than I am, I don't really think anyone would be interested in trying to watch you.

Besides with the average upload speed being 256kbps in the UK, I don't think inadvertent spying would go unnoticed.

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

hahahaha... hadn't thought of that before... but now i'm really creeped out too... yuck! :D

12. milky23 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, its mere presence is actually *stopping* someone from buying it? i mean, you could just tape a paper flap over it and lift it when its time to use it... :)

Does it have a shutter like the external iSight?

13. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

When I first got my isight, I used to wonder if it was really "off" but after a few weeks, i forgot that I even had it.

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

<paranoia mode="on">That's what they want you to think!</paranoia>

15. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I am not paranoid about it at all.

As was previously said, you can easily cover it if it bothers you so much, and there is nothing to see except for me staring at the monitor. If that is something you care to do, then go nuts.

I am more paranoid about someone gaining access to my data then my web cam.

16. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You guys, the iSight records to the computer not the internet, for someone to get the stream you would need to accept a video chat or someone would have to hack your computer and install an app that broadcasts the stream over the internet. And even then, if you have a router it will be hard to get the IP address of your computer to pick up the stream.

Never quite got that paranoia.

17. milky23 thread starter macrumors regular

18. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Sorry, didn't mean to accuse you of being paranoid. I was just imitating the "paranoid" response to your statement. Personally I'm no more paranoid about the iSight than any of my other data -- it's probably harder to hack into the iSight and get images of who-knows-what than to hack into Quicken and get my financial info.