Is anyone else worried about this?

Discussion in 'Games' started by LukeW, Oct 25, 2006.

1. LukeW macrumors member

http://blog.wired.com/games/2006/10/ea_will_sell_yo.html#more

This starting to become a worrying trend. First GT:HD on the PS3, then Lumines, now Godfather on the XBox 360. First it was buy all your cars and tracks, then it was buy all your modes, now you can use real money to buy ingame weapons.

I am happy to put down a bit of money for the Wii virtual games, and I am also happy to pay for a downloadable update, and I mean a substantial update, not just a few crappy guns or cars, but major updates (like with the Half-Life expansion packs for one example) but I am seriously worried about the trend emerging here. Anyone know if the weapons and cars that can be 'bought' are available in the game? Not that it matters as it is still a pretty crappy idea. Its like with GT:HD, why bother playing and unlocking anything anymore, just fork out and breeze through the game without ever really needing to do anything.
    Granted, its not like a few guns and cars are that big a deal, right? I mean, if someone is stupid enough to pay for them, but it is starting to look like the start of a worrying trend.

How long before you are buying rings for Sonic? Purchasing new characters for Mario Kart? Actually buying weapons and potions in Final Fantasy?
    Very soon you could be paying a bridge toll to cross over to the next level.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Seems what they are doing

You want to cheat and unlock the game content without playing the game = well ok, but instead of a cheat code, give us your money

If ever there was an incentive to actually 'play' the game rather than cheat - it looks like we have it now.

(remember all that content is there in the game and one does not have to pay for it - it's not as if they are purposely locking game content out)....

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Consoles are consoles, PC/Mac gaming rules. Not worried at all about any console. Support Mac gaming. Hows that:)

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The majority of the marketshare would disagree with you. enough said.

Why cant a person do both (console & pc) ? Why do you always see everything black & white ?

5. LukeW thread starter macrumors member

(remember all that content is there in the game and one does not have to pay for it - it's not as if they are purposely locking game content out)....[/QUOTE]

For now, unlike say in Lumines where whole modes are unavailable until downloaded (though that itself is a downloadable game which, however, did boast itself as being the full game when infact it wasnt).
    What I am more concerned about is that this could lead to a time when game content is purposely locked out until the gamer buys access.
    I can honestly see more game developers (particularly EA) taking advantage of bringing in some extra money via this method in the near future.

6. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

This could be okay if the game itself was sold cheaper and allowed you to only pay for the content you wanted, I guess.

Problem is, what company would actually do this if they didn't stand to make a greater profit off the game? It's far more likely that this is a ploy to get people to pay more then $60/game without the company actually having to release content updates or upgrades.

Thumbs down to that, this is a publisher fiasco to pull more cash out of our hands, and I for one am going to do my part to make it NOT WORK.

$20 Half-Life 2 episodes are fine, especially when I felt I got my moneys worth from the full HL2 game, but things like this are different.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oh I agree completely. The thought of more ****** surprises like Lumines (yes I fell for it too, and it's completely put me off buying ANY content on marketplace) as sallied marketplace in my eyes and seems to be a bad indicator of the future of gaming on ALL platforms.

8. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

I'm not worried about it. If you think a game is overpriced, just don't buy it.

Everything works as it used to, it's just that you will have to keep in mind that the final cost of the game is composed of the initial expense + all the add-ons you are interested in (or that are somehow required to experience the game to its fullest).

As long as you get to know what you are paying for, i don't see a problem with this new business model.

9. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

if the content is already there in the game and does not require anything to be downloaded then it is surely possible to find a cheat or hack that unlocks it anyway.

10. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yeah, if the consumer knows they're getting an "incomplete" game that's one thing. But I don't think the publishers are being forthcoming with the fact that you have to pay extra to unlock extra modes that would have been included. Not everyone reads internet forums enough to know what's happening. And EA (possibly the worst offender of them all) is downplaying it all, trying to spin it that this is a good thing for gamers.

11. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Is this really that bad? I looked it up and didn't see any missing modes.

Even so, what would be total cost in the end, $30 USD? That's still half the cost of a standard 360 game, didn't Lumines originally come out as a standard retail game?

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

They are on the menu, but when you go to play them its says no.

I would have no issue with downloading a game for $30 if it had the balls to simply state that from the outset.

Microsofts information makes NO mention that in order to unlock the full game users will have to purchase the advanced, multiplayer and skin packs all seperatly.

If I advertised a car for sale and then when you saw the car you bought it, only then to find I didnt include the engine or seats, and you have to pay for those additionally - I would be sued under the trades discrimination act.

That's the point. The game developers PURPOSELY dont make the standard unlockable cheat for the game anymore - and the only way to 'cheat' is to pay.

13. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

I think you can cheat the consumer only once. When people start to get burned, they will look for reviews before buying to make sure there are no hidden fees.

14. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

What modes? None of the add-on packs make mention of adding any modes... ??

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

There is a against CPU mode that will be added, and an advanced challenge mode pack which gives you the full amount 40+ of challenges (same as psp) as opposed to the 5.

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Not sure, but didn't ChromeHounds on the 360 do this as well? Selling different parts and weapons for a hundred MS points each? Not that the game already costs 60 bucks anyway...

Yeah, we could be headed to a build-it-yourself-by-paying-too-much scheme from all of the consoles...

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah chromehounds had downloadable weapons for 150 points each or somesuch, but they were added rather than unlockables. But still a friggin rip off. I've played that game for like 70 hours on Live and have yet to find 1 person who has paid for them.

Now if they had just released an entire weapons pack (10+ weapons) for 300 points - everyone playing the game would have snapped it up , but they didn't they got greedy and no one bothers.

silly because they would have mad more money doing it the way I just outlined (because of volume of downloads) as opposed to the craptastic way they have.

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Simple solution to this problem. Don't buy it. If no one buys it, they make all that content free or don't make it at all. All the people who paid for horse armor should be slapped.

19. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I have been saying this since the XBox Live Marketplace was announced. I've said it for Microsoft, I've said it for Sony, and I'll say it again if Nintendo opens up a microtransaction service for all developers to use like Sony and Microsoft did.

Developers will start getting lazy and deliberately pulling things out of the game because they can charge for them later.

21. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

No, I think you have it very wrong. It's the publishers not the developers that will use micro-transactions to bleed customers dry. Paying for an expansion or large upgrade/enhancement makes sense, since developers spent time on it. But the pulling stuff out of a game (or just holding it back) to make extra cash on it is definitely a publisher/investor problem, don't blame the developers.

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

True, but developers forced by publishers to meet a deadline can simply not develop parts of the game (multiplayer maps, game modes, etc) and put it off until later.

But for the most part you're right, publishers will be the real source of the problem.

23. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

EA is using Live Marketplace to sell cheat codes. Slimy, but it isn't any worse than the 1$/min tip-lines... hell, it seems to be cheaper than the tip-lines.

Lumines Live is the real slip-up IMO. Expecting someone to pay twice for what the game acts is 'required content' will get people in a fit, even if it is a 'good deal'. The problem is that they released both at the same time, and made it really look like a money grab more than providing choice.

GT:HD... well, that is just /weird/. Two versions of the game: the 60$ complete version, and the cheap (30$ or less) version where you buy the tracks and cars through micro-transactions. Hmm... well, if I was a guy who would only drive 2 cars anyways, and only a few tracks, paying 40-45$ for the game is a deal over the 60$ version. That said, it does piss people off who are used to a flat rate package deal, instead of this silly 'scalable profit' concept.