Is anyone else's Mac constantly freezing with 10.4.7?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by beethovengirl, Jul 21, 2006.

1. beethovengirl macrumors regular

Hi,

I have an early 2004 12" iBook G4, which had been doing well the past 2+ years (i.e. rarely crashing), but it has been constantly freezing since I installed 10.4.7. I haven't been running anything but Mail, Safari, and Firefox. It has made my computer almost unusable. I called Apple Care to ask how to make it revert to 10.4.5, but they told me I had to re-install 10.4. I had 10.4 installed via a site license at a site with which I am no longer affiliated, so I have no installation disk. Does anyone have a suggestion? Do I just have to revert to 10.3?

thanks for any input! :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I don't have 10.4.7 (or a Mac :eek: ) but you're not the only one with problems with 10.4.7. I hear boatloads of people are having trouble with it.

4. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

You know I actually just recently had a kernal panic on my iBook with 10.4.7 and shortly there after I started getting random freezes after I deleted yahoo messenger from my comp. I even started freaking out because when I restarted (thinking that would fix any probs) my iBook wouldn't even boot! So I had to boot from the mac os x tiger dvd and point it back to the hd. Thankfully, now everything works. For the time being...:eek:

5. d.f macrumors regular

i dont meant to alarm....

the most recent OSX killed my iBook G4 (12", 1.33).

it messed the logic board up and it needed replacing. i've just got it back. the OSX isn't guaranteed to be the problem, but it was the last thing i did before i got non stop kernal panics. it would crash. i'd re-start. it would then crash on re-start. the engineers were puzzled, but said it was definatley something that fried the logic board.

hopefully yours won't go the same way as mine.

6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

try reinstalling 10.4.7 using the combo update instead of the incremental one. That should fix the problem.

7. Miguel0019 macrumors member

Mine is ok.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

FWIW, these point upgrades are known to put failing components over the edge. For one reason or another 10.4.4 was notorious for making bad RAM fail. This doesn't mean we should upgrade because the failure is inevitable, but the upgrade seems to place that little bit of extra stress on the system that just finishes off the bad component.

Having said that, I think beethovengirl's problem isn't necessarily a failing hardware component. :)

9. Xavier macrumors 68020

I have not been happy with 10.4.7. It broke my favorite game!

Jedi Kngiht II: Jedi Outcast is working, but just barely. Come on Brad Oliver, give us that Universal update! :(

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you do do this, bear two things in mind

1. It takes a long time to restart; you're likely to be stuck on the Apple screen for several minutes (I had time to leave the room, open a bottle of wine, pour a glass and come back)

2. It does a second restart without fully booting to OS X the first time

11. howesey macrumors 6502a

Guys, software cannot break hardware.

OS X has nothing to do with your failing RAM or logic boards.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is that unique to 10.4.7? I haven't installed a combo update for a while but I don't remember it restarting twice. Interesting. :)

The two are quite nicely integrated in OSX. Software can ask demands of the hardware that can then lead to the hardware failure.

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I think it was 10.4.5 or 10.4.6 which on PPC Macs did a double boot. I seem to recall that although there was some very small text warning of it, most MR members didn't read it and there were a few 'OMGFBBQ' type comments in the thread for that update. I assume that whatever required that double boot in that update is still there in the Combo update for 10.4.7 since when I ran the Combo update on a pal's machine, it booted twice which surprised me... She was getting a little panicky at how long it took.

True - I seem to recall that Daring Fireball did a piece on how the update to Tiger could highlight RAM problems that may not have been visible in Panther.

14. Hmm macrumors regular

Hmm

Wow, I thought it was just me. I have a G3/800 iBook that just sits around as a file and print server, nothing else. Not long after installing 10.4.7, I started having problems getting print jobs to run over my wireless connection from my iBook G4. I found myself having to reboot the G3 every few days to get the G4 to see the printer. Now it's gotten to the point where the G3 freezes at the login screen. I'll select a name from the list and get a spinning rainbow cursor forever. I have to shut it down with the power button and reboot. I suppose it could be bad RAM, although it passes Apple's initial check on reboot I guess. I haven't tried the combo updater, I'll see if that helps.

15. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I upgraded from 10.4.5 to 10.4.7 recently using the combo update and I haven't had any problems with crashing. I did notice the other day, though, that everything was very slow. First I repaired permissions (it found none to repair !!!!) then tried restarting and everything seems okay now.

One strange thing though, every time the computer restarts now, it opens up InDesign which is a bit annoying because I have to wait for it to load before I can quit it.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any other strange happenings??

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That didn't happen on my machines. You may have checked Open At Login on the contextual menu over the InDesign icon for the Dock or something. In System Preferences, head to the Accounts pane and ensure InDesign isn't listed as a Login Item. :)

17. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

But the problems were already there. The update just highlighted them, as you said. The software is possible to make requests that the hardware cannot handle, and then, you will know you will have a problem. But the software didn't create them. The software just showed them.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

This is getting quite philosophical. If a depressed man stands atop a bridge, and a passer-by hurls abuse in his direction bringing forward his demise, do we blame the passer-by? To be honest, I don't really care. The end result is that the man dies. Software can break hardware (make hardware broken, in other words).

19. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

You're a genius! Yes it was checked, though I hadn't done it deliberately. Thank you.

20. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Lots of freezes associated to the Finder (cannot move/create/delete files) are attributed to the use of QUICKSILVER and the 10.4.7 update.

Likewise, SAFT stalls Safari Windows when some files are downloaded through Safari.

10.4.7 has broken lots of stuff, and I can't for the life of me get my computer to sleep (the monitors sleep, but not the computer itself).

21. Hmm macrumors regular

Hmm

Well, I installed the combo update and all seemed well for about 3 days, I think. But today the system is once again frozen at the login screen. I don't think I even logged in the whole time, so it was just running background processes. Maybe it's time to check the hardware.

22. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Lot of the freezing can be traced back to Quicktime 7.1.1 so it's not like OSX 10.4.7 is surprisingly bad version. If you can, stay away from the QT updates until it's fixed!

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It could be QuickTime although I personally have had no problems with it. Try running fsck to check and maybe repair your file system too. :)

24. Hopeless32 macrumors newbie

Tied that, didn't work ..

I freeze several times a day since updating to 10.4.7. I did the combo update. 90 percent of the freezes come while looking at the dock (I have it automatically hide and when I mouse down to look at it, it pops up then freezes). This never happened with any other OsX. Anyone else freezing on the dock? Any work-arounds?

I'm thinking about just not hiding the dock, but with the 17-inch monitor, the dang thing gets in thew way ...

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hopeless32, do you have any theme changers or Dock modifiers installed? :)