Is anyone here into archery?

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Jul 18, 2005.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

A guy at work has said that he wants to get into archery. I thought that was cool. I've always had an interest in archery but never got around to actually doing it.
    I own two rifles that I take to the range and target shoot once in a while but range fees are expensive and so is ammo. Also, the closest gun range is like 40 miles away.
    I figure if I got into archery I'd be saving money in the long run and satiating my need for "precision accuracy" via a deadly sport.
    I'm debating whether to get a compound or recurve bow. Ideally I'd like to do both but my budget makes that impractical. Considering I might want to actually go hunting some day, I'll probably get a compound bow.
    So, does anyone else here shoot seriously? Offer some advice to a newbie to the sport?

2. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

I have a bow that's pretty cool it shoots so far but is not terribly accurate, just remember you will loose lots of arrows if you shoot it in the woods, and i do mean lots. It is lots of fun though

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You'll be loosing lots of arrows wherever you are: that's the whole point, isn't it? It's losing arrows you want to worry about.... :rolleyes:

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Hmm...me with a bow and arrow...not a good picture.
    I prefer to stick to safer activities that do not involve weapons and/or sharp objects.

5. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think the maximum range for accuracy with any bow is 30 yards. Any farther than that is a waste.
    The best compound bows hit around 300 feet per second I.B.O.. Arrow weight selection as well as whichever type of broadhead you choose to shoot with will affect arrow flight performance.
    Remember, arrow velocity isn't only meant to achieve distance; it's also meant to provide penetration power to whatever game you may be after.
    That's why I believe that a bowhunter is someone who is SERIOUSLY into hunting. It takes that much more skill to get your quarry.

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Archery is a sport I've always wanted to get into, but never got around to. Instead, I play darts. Mostly Cricket and 301. At least it's still aiming pointy things at a bulls' eye. :rolleyes:

7. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Oops :eek:

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol... yeah, you might find shooting to be cheaper if you lose a lot of arrows, particularly with those nice broadheads on them. Remember too, arrows can be damaged as well as lost.

Still, archery is a fun sport. You can spend a pile on a good compound bow too.

9. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

I enjoy martial arts, and use nunchaku, katana, bo, and fighting fan, and though I've always wanted to own a bow I haven't tried archery since I was about 12… one of the main things holding me back is that there seem to be no stores that sell bows for the serious archer that I can find to visit in person. They all seem to have cheap things put together for beginners :(

10. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I got arrested for targeting the National Guard with my arch.

That was when I was in Venezuela during the oil strike 3 years ago.

I chose the arc because they do not make any sound and they can go trough the bullet proff vest of the National Guard.

I did it in night time one day the National Guard entered my neiborhood during the night protecting the house of an officer or NG general or something. I had the equipment in the trunk of my car and I hearded about the manifestation in the news and I went there. There were riots all over Caracas that day but down town and the NG went to a zone where people are opponents to Hugo Chavez.

When I got there about 9pm there was already tear gas in the air. A few weeks before I bought 10 arrows to kill deers with the sharp 4 points tip and my ark had two poles (sorry about the english) for maximun strenth.

I saw the situation and there was alady with a very powerfull flashlight and that was what I needed. I told her to point it to the NG (about 40 men) and I started to shoot. I saw the spark of one hitting the paviment but they couldn't hear anything. I threw another one hight and it hit their transparent shield. I threw 3 more and I didn't see where they targered it until the adrenaline and tear gas was so strong I couldn't set any more arrows in the string and I backed up to hide everything in my car again.

An hour later while I was walking in and adjecent street to se ethe NG formation from the back a NG dressed as a civilian got me and threw me in to the house they were defending. There I saw the other NG I injured! I cut some ones finger almost in half, a helmet was hit and two shields where traspassed.

My attitude was as a normal person, thanks Good I didn't have any equipment on me because they would literally kill me. One of them saw me but didn't have any proove of it and based on my "I do not know what you are talking about" attitude no one believe him. They got another guy with a gun, a lawyer that was talking too much and they tortured him badly in the parking lot of the house. If it wasn't for him I would be the one tortured.

In the mean time the manifestant where growing, I saw everything on tv because I was in the service kitchen on my knees. Imagine a riot in a regular up town neiborhood like any other green pacefull place here in the US...

The NG ran out of tear gas and they were shooting even targetting the same local police officers! I mean, it was madness and I was their "stress ball" inside the house of the General.

One NG took me and placed me in another place in the house because he knew I was about to get tortured to death there and he took the other guy too (the lawyer) who was bleeding and complaining.

At about 3am everything was in peace because two troops of the NG came over to disolve the manifestation. The General arrived to the house and I was introduced to him together with the arrows...

I was taken to the Head Quarters of the NG, about 30 minutes from there.

I was taken to the intelligence office for questioning. For my surprice I was treated very good there, they knew I was part of a civil group that was againts Chavez and that my motives were right. There is some sort of code of honnor there. The other guy was injured by my side.

I was let to sleep there and next morning I was taken to the Palace of Justice that is where the criminals are taken for a vederict. I was treated very good there too. The policeman that took my fingerprints gave them to me later so I had no records. I was release that day but with a prohibition to leave the country until further investigation. 4 months later the case was terminated and I was set not guilty because there was no a way to proove the opposite.

So, that was my experience with the arcs and arrows back in January 1993.
    :rolleyes:

11. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

mymemory - that is crazy. i think you seem to have one of the most exciting lives on these forums. i'm glad that through your difficult experiences in venezuela, you came to the US and started a new life. good luck.

12. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Holy crap mymemory. That is off the wall...

I have a Longbow and sometimes I will go out and shoot a few arrows into some hay bales. Nothing much more than that though...

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Wow mymemory, what an adventure. Glad to hear that you escaped unharmed.

14. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i took archery for a PE class last semester, and i had alot of fun.
    the teacher said we could either shoot at the targets (boring) or we could bring in things and shoot them. so for an entire semester i spent my mornings shooting at stuffed animals and the like. i found it alot more fun than shooting at the boring targets, and alot more enjoyable than shooting living creatures. real animals both bleed and are harder to hit.

15. chv400 macrumors 6502

Heh I remeber when I got my first Bow I had the idead of trying it out in the my backyard I missed my target and the arrow went through the fence and almost hit the window on the house next door. Last time I used that thing at home.

16. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Go with a 55lb recurve
    easier to maintain than a compound ,
    cheaper to buy , good resale value
    buy lots and lots of arrows, the inexpensive ones are fine, for most beginners the quality of the arrow don't affect the performance.
    a good bow and really good bow string are what matters at first
    and with a 55lb pull it is more than adequate for outdoor target practice even some hunting.
    Long bows are good too but really expensive for the good ones and a bastard to maintian and use in a forested area.
    I personally dislike compound bows , too mechanical , might as well get a crossbow
    Like crossbows though, really good for medium to large game hunting ,expensive and bulky ...
    Oh and get a good arm guard. :D

17. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I barely did, when I was detained I was saying "God I won't do it again, God I won't do it again..." like a 1000 times.

But that was nothing, when they got me I didn't have anything in my hand but I had my pockets full of rocks to throw at them! I am so glad they didn't check me out because they would say: well well well... look what this cutty have in his pockets!!!

In a riot liek that I saw they arrest some people and as they can not do anything to the croud, they will come back to rest and liberate their anger with the hostages.

Here is a picture of me while I was waiting to enter the house of the president when the coup of 2002 in Venezuela.

Attached Files: