Is anyone still expecting Mac hardware on the 12th?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Unspeaked, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I think between this mornings "silent" upgrades, and the whole "It's Showtime" thing, there's a close to 0% chance we'll see any other Mac hardware released next week (sorry MacBook Pro/MacBook junkies).

At most, maybe an updated iPod or other consumer device, but certainly not a CPU.

Anyone feel different?

2. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

The Macbook Pro is a professional, higher-margin machine when compared to the iMac. It will get the Core 2 duo very soon, I'd be surprised if it wasn't changed in the next two weeks.

David

3. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Well, of course it's getting an Core 2 Duo - the iMac announcement today pretty much guaranteed that - but I'm saying I think the media event on the 12th is consumer focused; I don't see a laptop announcement being thrown in there...

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Most likely US movie store! Hopefully other countries as well. Maybe a new ipod with streaming capabilities to go with movie downloads.

And of course G5 laptops!

5. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Well, that goes without saying...

;)

6. Queso macrumors G4

Next week is the iPod/iTunes division up to something to get ready for Christmas. I expect new iPod models and of course something media wise (possibly the rumoured US-only film downloads ;) ), but there'll be something else. Maybe some form of integrated wireless media streaming device for the home.

I don't expect Macs now. I reckon MacBook Pros will get an update in early October with immediate shipping.

7. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I was never expecting Mac hardware at the Sept. 12th event. It was obvious from the start that it was going to be an iPod event. We may see peripherals that work with a Mac (or a PC, since this is iPod we're talking about), but I doubt we'll see any actual new Mac computers.

8. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

My thinking is if a 24" iMac C2D wasn't worthy of a Stevenote™ then there must be something realllllllyyy big in the pipeline for the 12th.

I hope. :eek:

9. rtharper macrumors regular

rtharper

I'm still holding out for MBP releases tomorrow. If they can do the iMac on a Wednesday, why not something else on a Thursday? It would make sense to have more updated processors/video before the release of a movie service, imo.

Then again, I'm a little biased about this since Apple tore my heart out of my chest by not releasing a new MBP today.

10. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I reckon that it is the new iPods and possibly, improbable but possibly the iPhone. Shaw thinks/knows that there is a prototype of it so it should become apparent pretty soon.

11. shecky Guest

shecky

we will see MBP (and possibly MB) updates to C2D this week in a similarly silent way they updated the iMac line today. i am guessing friday.

(at least, i really hope so!!)

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I don't think Apple would update anything it wants people to notice on a Friday. Products are generally announced early- to mid-week.

13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'm still waiting for updated iPod nanos.

I promised my girlfriend one for her birthday, almost a month ago, but she didn't want one until they were upgraded... hopefully she can get her present soon... :)

14. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If the iTunes Movie Store is announced, they're going to have to announce something for it to run on other than an iPod.

16. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

i'm kinda disappointed this wasn't a macbook/macbook pro upgrade. I highly doubt they will release them next week. But maybe since im not speculating that it will happen it will actually happen.

17. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i dont think anything TOO exciting next week (or in another week) (and yes, that include any laptop CPU update, any entirely new ipod, iphone... MAYBE a iTMS update)

reason? well, since the imac made apple front page, they aren't gonna change that front page in a while (at least a week or two?), which means nothing big is coming up, which means no laptop, no new ipod, no new iphone... etc

18. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

they did not silently update iMac... i mean, they didn't hold out a special event, but it's on the front page of apple...

and why do they have to announce something other than iPod to run it?

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Nobody wants to watch a movie on an iPod.

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No. No iPod stuff either, it's too early.

Next week sees the release of the 2nd generation iPod leather case - now in white and black - along with an update to the iPod Hifi that gives it two tweeters for high-range sound reproduction at the cost of it requiring two more D cell batteries when on the go.

21. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

They did:

22. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Nah. No iPhone on the 12th. If the event is based around movies and the online store then the one more thing would have to be something that complements the movie store. a phone doesn't complement movies.

23. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

24. milo macrumors 604

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the oft-rumored midtower.

It would be a perfect fit for that announcement, a brand new mac model.

I think we'll see a MBP merom announcement this week or next, just not on tuesday.

25. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I think you guys are thinking too much into it. Apple can release anything that they want at these events. The main focus will most likely be the movie store but they can also release anything else that they want. This might include:

C2D MBP
    and/or
    C2D MB
    and/or
    2G iPod Nano
    and/or
    6G iPod
    and/or
    Fabled Video iPod
    and/or
    2G iPod Shuffle
    and/or