Is anyone still using a Powerbook G4 12" 1.5 GHz for live shows and music production?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mannaRose, Aug 2, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 2, 2009
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I'm a musician who has owned two Mac desktop towers for a few years now, and I just recently bought a used, but very good condition, Powerbook G4 12 inch 1.5 GHz from eBay. I need your testimonies and opinions on this laptop. I'm a newb because this is my first laptop. But, let me give you an idea on what I'm trying to achieve here.

I plan to have a small home recording set-up, and take this laptop with me for live shows. I play mainly rock, but would like to incorporate electronica music into my produced songs, and live performances. I plan on getting an Apogee Duet to do all the recording, and Logic Express 8 for the final mixes.

So here goes..

1) Is the Powerbook G4 that I bought strong enough to run music programs for me to mix an entire album? Can this laptop handle today's programs? Or will it slow down a little?

2) Can my Powerbook G4 handle live shows with say, Ableton Live and a few other programs running?

3) What are your experiences with the Powerbook 12" 1.5 when you performed with it live, and when you mixed/recorded songs on it?

I'm still waiting for the laptop to get to me, but I would appreciate your guys' help as this is my first venture into owning and using a laptop. Thanks, guys. Macs forever.

Processor Type: PowerPC G4

Product Family: PowerBook

Processor Speed (per Core): 1.5 GHz

Screen Size: 12 inch

Processor Configuration: Single Core

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5, Leopard

Memory (RAM): 1.25 GB

Primary Drive: DVD+/-RW

Hard Drive Capacity: 80 GB

2. macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    i still do work on ibook g4, so i reckon you'll be okay unless you want to go crazy with soft-synths.
  3. macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2009
    I don't do any live shows and I don't really use anything other than simple recording in my band using Garageband, its still more than enough for that though. I have done a few music videos and it takes a while to encode for some formats but its more than a good enough machine. Its my main machine for just about everything unless I need to do some large amount of editing in which I switch to a desktop tower with Acid Pro.