Is anyone successfully using an HP Laserjet 4P?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by wescbrown, Apr 29, 2002.

1. wescbrown macrumors newbie

I have a LaserJet 4P hooked up to a printserver (Linksys 3port) and am able to print to the printer. but it prints garbage. actually its printing the raw postcript or file output. I've downloaded the drivers from HP and set the ppdurl property for the printer to the LaserJet 4. anyone else using a laserjet 4p successfully? I know I can use ghostscript to do this but supposedly this printer is supported - so I was trying to avoid using ghostscript. Any suggestions?

thanks,
    Wes

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hmm...

we use a LaserJet 4MV at work...the "M" in the name signifies it's for use with Macintosh...

so I'm wondering if u are having problems with your LaserJet 4P because it may be only for PC?

3. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

I also have a 4MPlus, here at work, that is printed to on a daily basis from 9.2.

I agree with eye'. Seems like a compatibility problem since it's printing garbage, even w/the "correct" drivers. The M designation for Macintosh doesn't seem correct though, because they have Macintosh drivers for the 4P on their website. But I could be wrong, because they use a generic mac driver called ljlegacyen.hqx for both the 4p and 4m/4mp.

They also have a font package listed for the 4M/4MP that is not listed for the 4P--lj246en.hqx

Hope this heps.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm not completely sure on this either...that's what I was told of our LaserJet 4MV....there's a 4V which works fine for everyone...but then the 4MV was specifically for use with Mac....maybe it has something to do with Appletalk?

5. wescbrown thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback. Just wanted to let everyone know that I did get it to work. I used ghostscript to do it, but it works great.

6. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

What is ghostscript? Glad you got it to work.

7. wescbrown thread starter macrumors newbie

GhostScript is a postscript/pdf interpreter. it has various output device drivers. There is a good description for implementing this in OS X, I don't remember where i got it, but if anyone would like it I can send it out to you. It was written by Jim Derry.