Is anyone watching Wimbledon (not the film)?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Spanky Deluxe, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

If I could I would start an official Wimbledon thread but alas I don't have blue blood in me!

Is anyone watching it? Anyone else into tennis? The Roddick/Murray match is on now and its looking pretty good for Murray at the mo. :D

Edit: Maybe I spoke too soon... :(

2. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

3. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

:eek: :p

4. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

I've been watching it ya..... I was surprised that Nadal beat Aguissi in straight sets. I thought that Nadal would probably win but I was thinking that Aguissi would put up a better fight.

And also in the Women's matches yesterday, Hingis lost to Sugiyama, which was quite a surprise. That was a really good match, and probably the best one I have seen so far this tournament...

5. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

6. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

I LOVE tennis... great ach, played awesomely by murrey...

7. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I am watching, I will be in London during the finals so I will hopefully get to go...

8. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Pretty amazing play by Murray today. Beating the no. 3 seed in straight sets is damn impressive. I love tennis.. :D Watching Wimbledon gives me the urge to go out and play (although I have already played for 2h15 today :p)

9. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I'm watching it, and have become completly obsessed. I considered starting a Wimbledon thread also, but didn't for the same reasons as you.

I've been waking up at 8:00 every morning before work to watch. Everyone I was rooting for on the mens side has lost: Agassi, Roddick, Blake. I'm rooting for federer (which really makes me sad since I don't like dominance) just because I hate Nadal and Hewitt.

I've had better luck on the womens side so far. Hingis loosing was a bummer, but Sharapova and Vaidisova are still in so I'm ok for now.

10. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Murray was very impressive. Beating the number 3 seed in straight sets, that's pretty impressive.

I'm not a fan of Federer, he's a bit of a boring player. Yes he's good, well he's a fantastic tennis player, the best for a good while, however, he wins so much its not very exciting. I was at the final of Federer vs Phillipousis a few years back. He won in straight sets (in fact I think he won the whole championship in straight sets), it was very disappointing. When you're at a final you expect it to be pretty exciting, a close match between two awesome players. That match was anything but close. Boooorinng!!!

I really wanted Agassi to win today, he's always been a favourite of mine. The Wimbledon he won was the first one I watched when I was a kid and I've been hooked ever since.

The best final I've seen so far has to be where Ivanisevic. He might have beaten Henman and ruined our British chances but you couldn't help but love the guy!!

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I'll always remember the Becker final. I don't even remember who he was playing anymore, just that he put so much effort into some crucial points, making some amazing shots diving and whatnot.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I just don't want Nadal to win. I don't know why, but I really don't. He hasn't done anything to me, and he doesn't seem like a bad guy, but I hope he goes down like a sack of s***.

Nothing personal. :p

13. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Andy Murrey playing today, against a quality player.

I'm going to play tennis letter (indoors i think as it is burning hot today - the grass temperature at Wimbledon was 45 degrees C)

14. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I caught the beginning of the Sugiyama-Hingis game between World Cup matches the other day. Even though I don't know too much about tennis, it was quite an impressive game.

irmongoose

15. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Watching it right now (Murray versus Baghdaditis or whatever his name is) and ..... dunno what is going on, but Murray is playing like a drain compared to his Roddick match. Maybe he is weary from that match, or it is the heat? Strange stuff. Hope he can lift his game a tad. :(

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

boring...what happened to agassi-sampras, the williams sisters, mc enroe-connors, borg vs. everybody?

the movie was actually quite a lot of fun to watch where the hero, an older, traditional serve and volley touch player goes against the younger, stronger power baseliner...and in the end, it's a battle over a girl (kirsten dunst) and the tennis tactics of experience over strength and speed

also, it's a great date movie

17. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I'm watching as well but only Maria Sharapova's matches...Maria Sharapova into the quarters now...great match against Flavia Pennetta...

18. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

agreed...

All the top 4 seeds are in the quarters now.... I say either Henin-Hardine or Sharapova will win.... go Sharapova!!

19. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

It's the only match I got to watch for about 20 minutes. I turned it off after the streaker made his short appearance.

20. 61132 Guest

yea I am watching it. The streaker was funny, I forget her name, but one of the players had her back to him and didnt turn around, the news made a story out of it

21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I think we're going to see an excellent match in the next couple of hours... I would like to see Henin-Hardenne win only because there's something about her life-story that I find enormously appealing. She's a real scrapper.

As far as tomorrow is concerned, while Nadal is the real looker (IMO :D) I'm sure that Federer will mix it up a bit more on the grass... that too is going to be fascinating. Federer to win but not in straight sets.

What a weekend of sport! Tri-Nations earlier, World Cup finals and play-offs, Wimbledon finals... there's probably some golf going on somewhere but I don't give a monkey's about that. :p

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Well... that seemed mostly interesting as far as I could tell from the stuttering and unreliable RealPlayer (why?) stream from the BBC. Good on Amelie Mauresmo.

23. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Ya... that was Sharapova that turned her back to the streaker...funny stuff.

Well, Federer remaines Number 1.... but I really didnt think Nadal was going to win anyway...you just can't beat Federer, except on clay of course.

24. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I think Nadal will get closer and closer to Federer.. but it would take something VERY special to beat him on grass.

25. pincho macrumors regular

pincho

the two best players played in the final, and Federer, 4 titals, amazing feat! Nadal, awesome player as well, and both only 20 (nadal) and 24 (federer). congrats to both!