Is Apple becoming Microsoft?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Briguymaine, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Briguymaine macrumors newbie

I am seeing an awful lot of patch for this this, and incompatible that, and driver update this. I pray that our beautiful OS isn't becoming so popular that it's turning into Windows mess. All of these headlines will give the Wintel IT folks in my company something to come back at me with, and that sucks!

2. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Re: Is Apple becoming Microsoft?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've heard of only two things. One was a security update for an issue that's barely an issue but a just-in-case. And then the FireWire HD issue, which apparently only pertains to FW800. These two issues seem rather minor, and one is already fixed.

Keep in mind that with Apple, we rarely know about the vulnerability until the moment it gets fixed. With Microsoft, the vulnerability is often taken advantage of before there's a fix.

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well... what do you expect? a perfect OS? :p it's nowhere near as bad as Windows is with updates.

and don't hate chocolate. :p :D

4. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

it could be worse - you could be on a dial up modem, with the stupid little "windows update" in the system tray. i thought i turned you off!:mad:

5. Briguymaine thread starter macrumors newbie

In addition to what you mentioned, I'm thinking back to the 10.2.8 falsestart a while ago, Apple may not support Jag anymore as reported on MacBytes, the Belkin Media reader thing (obviously not OS related but still Apple to some degree), plus all of the regular installs that went wrong somehow.

I installed Panther with no problems except that my old old video card won't work so I'm upgrading. It's not the problems that bother me so much, but the attention that it seems to be getting. Maybe I need to stop reading so much of this stuff and get out more!

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i think the fact that apple releases security updates so much more often reflects a changing trend in the internet much more than a trend to become like MS. there are always security holes in a system. as more people look for them, they get discovered faster.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The problems are few in comparison to Windows, I'm quite certain.

I upgraded my dual G4 yesterday and couldn't get the firewall to work, even though I'd been using it with Jaguar, and had various issues with games.

The only really Microsoft-ian thing they've done is to imbed the internet settings inside Safari. Apple have gone out of their way to get the job done right, first time. There will always be things to fix and that's why you'll see 10.3.1 in about 3 weeks.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Maybe so on the Safari thing, but it seems when M$ does something first, then Apple, Apple does it better, well this time anyway. You can still change your default browser, and Safari is a fine browser itself, still a bug here or there, but darn good and not part of the OS (and it had better stay that way). I only keep IE around as my backup-backup to use my school's online P.O.S. (and that's NOT Point of Sale).

9. Fahd macrumors regular

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

There's always a lot of people complaining about this problem or that problem when a new OS comes out. Jaguar had the same issues. Guess what 90% of them were cured by clean installs and another 9% on top of that were fixed by formatting and installing. So the problem is not really with Apple but the end users system.

The Firewire 800 thing isn't even Apples problem but a problem Apple noted in a 3rd party developers chips and is taking interest in helping to fix.

11. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

PANTHER printing problems

PANTHER is a great improvement in speed and features, but it is also causing a vast amount of problems with lots of reported software conflicts - sort of like extension nightmares in OS 9.

When APPLE changed the Print Center to "Printer Setup Utility" it messed with its identity. Programs dependent on the print utility name and identity are having serious software malfunctions.

DYMO LabelWriter printers are down until the end of November while DYMO rewrites and beta tests its recently released OS X software DSL 6.0.1 because of serious software printing problems in PANTHER. Check www.DYMO.com for an update; if you are registered, DYMO emails you automatically.

I have a Xerox Phaser 850DP printer I paid extra for to have duplexing capability available in OS 9.2.2, Classic and Jaguar, but the Panther driver lacks DUPLEX as an option - it's GONE, no reason, Apple just failed put it in.

If I can't get my work product PRINTED properly per PANTHER, :mad: I'll have to return to the stability of Jaguar.

I also had conflict problems between UnSanity software which CRASHED! my whole MS Office suite. UnInstall removed the conflict.

Happily, :) UnSanity software quickly acknowledged the problem and is rapidly making their apps Panther compatible.

Is anyone else tired of getting an occasional BLACK Restart screen upon startup in Panther? :(

Who says BLACK CATS aren't bad luck? :confused:

12. iEric macrumors 6502a

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: PANTHER printing problems

I haven't seen this failed startup or black startups screen you are talking about. Also 99.9% of all broken apps in an OSX update are due to the company not following Apples software development guide lines. So far I have had no problems what soever in my change over to 10.3. The only thing that has happened was I started up off of the install cd and repaired permissions. On restart I had a kernel panick. I then powered the machine down and back up and have had no problems whatsoever.

Part of my lack of problems is probably due to the fact that I reformatted my drive and reinstalled Panther from scratch. I also only copied over my most necessary prefs and reinstalled 3rd party software rather then copying them over.

Also I have an HP printer with duplexer and it still works just fine. I would say your lack of support is probably due to Xerox and their drivers not playing nice with 10.3.

14. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

Re: PANTHER printing problems

Umm... NOT PANTHER's Fault. Nor Apple's. If I am not mistaken, haven't DEVELOPERS recieved every single release of Panther? Xerox knew about the changes. Not Apple's fault they didn't fix them. Same for DYMO. Let's not say Panther sucks because third party people didn't get their stuff together fast enuff.

I love Panther. I have had no problems and I have installed it on 2 iBooks, an iMac, a G5 dualie, and a 12" Powerbook G4. Not one single problem.

macboyX