Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The new member

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Between the 70's and the 90's Sony was considered (all over the world) as a must have. Remember that in 1979 Sony invented the Walkman. But in 2001 Apple invented the iPod... And today Apple brand is one of the most popular in the developped world. So, is Apple slowly becoming a new Sony?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
iPod? maybe
mac? no, especially "All over the world"
M$ is much more dominate than anybody else.

The new member

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Well, sorry but I was speaking about consumer products like A/V player, TV Box, cell-phones. Not about the computer industry :)

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Well, sorry but I was speaking about consumer products like A/V player, TV Box, cell-phones. Not about the computer industry :)

Probably, though Apple still only has the one consumer product line - the iPod. If the iPhone is successful then its 'claim' to be the new Sony might be more valid.

johnmartin78

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Canada
iPod? maybe
mac? no, especially "All over the world"
M$ is much more dominate than anybody else.

Microsoft is a software company,Apple,(idc what anyone says) is a hardware company,its not a fair compairason.I know microsoft has a few hardware items out there,but they're a software company and allways will be.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Between the 70's and the 90's Sony was considered (all over the world) as a must have. Remember that in 1979 Sony invented the Walkman. But in 2001 Apple invented the iPod... And today Apple brand is one of the most popular in the developped world. So, is Apple slowly becoming a new Sony?

Back then, Sony was the trend setter for entertainment:

The Walkman
The CD Player
The VCR

Now, the whole playing field is different, with many battling over the 21st century "Digital Media"

There are so many players this round. No, I don't think any one will dominate - except for Microsoft when using PCs...

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
NO!!

They day Apple is the day I use Ubuntu as my main OS.

Why you ask? Some quote to show Sony's over all action on the Console Wars.

"Wii could be considered an impulse buy more than anything else,"

If they do pick up a Wii, it's as more of a novelty."

the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even it didn't have games,"

they don't mind [the delays],
(talking about the late launch of the PS3 in Europe.

"The console wars are over'’

’
"the next generation doesn’t start until we start it.'’

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Tell that to Sony, who's PS3 is underselling all it's competition as well as it's own predecessor... still.

Just read in the latest Electronic Gaming Monthly where they interviewed some hot-shot Sony Executive. He said that because of the shortages, the lines at the stores, people buying it at the higher price points, and the eBay sales, proves that this is the system that everyone wants... sounds to me like the old addage "you want to play, you got to pay..." attitude.

Reality: I think that this Sony exec is "out of touch".

I don't think Apple will ever be this "out of touch" with its customers...

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
Back then, Sony was the trend setter for entertainment:

The Walkman
The CD Player
The VCR

Now, the whole playing field is different, with many battling over the 21st century "Digital Media"

There are so many players this round. No, I don't think any one will dominate - except for Microsoft when using PCs...

Umm... Sony came out with Betamax, not the VCR. So, technically they were so ahead of the game, so trend setting, that they didnt see the game forgot to follow them sort of like Memory Stick, MDs, and DVD-audio. You know the whole.... Sony properitory junk. Atleast Apple stopped doing that. Thank god.

holamiamigos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2006
yes definitely.... next apple's going to make the overpriced video game console that everyone will sell

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I think they did - the Sony uMatic was the first to use "cassettes" and "helical scanning"...

Here's the article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VCRs
U-matic was an institutional format. You would sometimes see U-matic VCRs in such places as school libraries. The VCR revolution would have to wait until the introduction of the VHS and Betamax formats.

However, this thread is based on a false premise. The Japanese company which revolutionized consumer electronics was Matsushita (Panasonic, National, Technics, etc.), not Sony. Sony markets itself extremely well in the USA. I have to admit to falling for the Sony hype. However, it is a small company which became famous for the transistor radio and revered for the Trinitron TV picture tube. If Matsushita rolled over, it would leave a greasy spot where Sony used to be.

johnmartin78

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Canada
Apple has set itself up to become a major electronics manufacturer,I don't know about the next Sony.We should hope not,Sony does produce some quality merchandise but not many people particularly like Sony as a company.Apple's slower more steady rise up the ladder has given it an unusually strong fanbase,don't know of any other companies with fans like us.This,in conjunction with the generally high quality products they produce,just might one make them as large or larger than a Sony of today,who knows.The one worry I allways have in the back of my mind is,what will become of Apple when Steve Jobs leaves again,for good.I know Steve isn't Apple inc..But,he is the soul of the company.Apple is more dependant on Steve Jobs than any other company is on their respective CEO.Once again who knows,we can't see the future,but we see what happened when he left before.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
What about Vaios?

What about Sony's computer division? I have a Sony 17" LCD Widescreen monitor/TV with a ton of inputs and it has been great. Also, everyone I know who has a Sony Vaio desktop or laptop has never had a problem with it.

They are pricey though - almost the cost of a Mac... you get what you pay for...

BuzWeaver

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2006
Atlanta, GA USA

No.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.