Is Apple being cheeky and hiding messages?

Discussion in 'Community' started by zarathustra, Jul 19, 2003.

1. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I was playing around with the Developer's Preview of Panther, when I noticed the icon for fontbook (posted below). Now, I might be reading too much into it, and I do have a twisted, overactive imagination, but I read Fak (F*ck) in the icon. can you see it as well? ;) :)

Attached Files:

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

3. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

4. Jerry Spoon macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Who knows. Someone picked those letters for a reason.

5. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Lessee:

"F" is for "Fonts"
    "A" is for "Apple"
    "K" is for "Klan"

Got it! Falker.

6. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

There is no a in ****. Nor are there 3 letters in ****. Fak is not **** and **** is not fak just as knight is not night and knight is not ****. A world where fak is **** and night is knight while **** is knight is not a world I wish to live in.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Maybe that's not the real icon, but a clever FAKe instead.

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I hope you knew that over half your message had **** in them making your message very hard to understand.

And Fak doesn't mean the four letter curse work.

Fusk that!

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

What exactly is he supposed to do? Defy the word censor, against the rules? and YES the original post WAS suggesting the F-word... which is as convoluted as it is sophomoric.

:)

Is there any combination of letters that they could have chosen at random that would actually tell you that it IS just random? Why does it have to be for a reason?

I think you guys are reading **way** too much into this... perhaps they just chose them as letters that are distinguishable at very small sizes...

pnw

11. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Hmmm... You know, the funny thing is, the word censor, as I've noticed in a PM or two, actually retains the original text, you just view it as **** when reading, if you quote you see what it was. At least, that goes with PMs, Anyway, if you put a letter before three asterisks would that be considered circumventing, or would it be only where you can still read the word, but not in a way the filter would pick it up? I know this isn't the right thread, but I was wondering.

I usually put a letter and three asterisks, and I've never heard anything about it, but that may just be because I wasn't reported. Who knows.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It could just be 2 random letters that they put in the picture. Maybe they are innocent or are the initials of the designers of the program!

13. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

Dont say **** any more Cuz **** is the worst word that you can say, no we shouldn't say ****, **** nooooo!!!Its easy mmmkay!:D

14. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I think it is a veiled reference to the song For All the Kows by the Foo Fighters. Actually, the Foo Fighters spell Cow with a C but Apple didn't want us to find the secret so easily so they used a K. And the reason they hid this in their Fontbook icon is that "Foo" is a substring of "Fontbook" and they try to sneak cows (which are genetically similar to dogcows) into products whenever they can.

I'm glad I was able to clear this up for you.

16. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i noticed this as well, about censored words not being erased... i'd imagine it's so they can quickly change the word filter, and it's retroactive...

i think Arn probably means making it so that the word appears to be a censored word... like using special characters to resemble normal ones, like if the word "sucks" was banned, using $ucks would be bad, while saying s***s would be more acceptable... You can still hint at what word you're using, without spelling it out for the kiddies.

kinda $ucks that they have to use a word filter, but it's for accessibility to kids, i think arn had mentioned people contacting him with concerns...

anyhoo, back on topic, i think you're exactly right Dr. Q!

pnw

17. zarathustra thread starter macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

OK, people need to lighten up. Whoever thought I was stretching it: I was kidding. BTW, in the movie Snatch, Mickey asks Turkish and Tommy: "Do you like dags?" "Dags?" "Yeah, Dags." "Oh, You mean dogs.". Later on in the movie not once Mickey goes: "Fack". So anyway, that's how it started with me.

Whoever thought I faked it: Again, I was kidding around, and would not waste my time in Photoshop to create an icon. It is REAL, anyone with Panther can confirm it.

Anywho, I keep forgetting how übersensitive everyone on this boards is, and how we all need to lighten up. I just thought that the choice of letters was weird - since it spells my "flavor of the month" cuss word borrowed from "snatch". Fak it. :D

Oops, sorry I apologize to anyone, whose virgin eyes might have been damaged by that. :p

18. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    Father Ted, great show, almost famous for the word "fek" which means as we all know... ****

and yeah, i like dags haha, great scene that.

19. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

exactly.

arn

20. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Hmmm.

It would make more sense to me if it said "fig". But who knows?

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I think we took it the way you meant it, i.e., a lighthearted look at your Panther observation. I'm sorry if you thought I accused you of Photoshopping. That didn't even occur to me. I was suggesting in jest that Apple used a "fake" icon in the Panther preview and was revealing it by spelling the word "Fak(e)".

Maybe FAK stands for Fonts Are Kool.

22. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

It would have been just as hard to understand without all the ****s.