Is apple care important for powerbooks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dvdiva, Mar 19, 2005.

1. dvdiva macrumors member

Got a refurb 15" powerbook, ordered it like 1 hour ago. Is getting apple care important for powerbooks? Is it worth it? Thanks for any help.

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I think that getting Apple Care for any Mac product, especially a refurb, is a good idea. I don't know about anyone else, but 230 someodd dollars is worth the security that it brings...:)

3. jmk macrumors newbie

It's an extended warranty. I don't really feel it's worth it. $200+ is not chump change, it's a significant chunk of the value of the computer. It's your call.

4. dvdiva thread starter macrumors member

Its $350 so not cheap. Are the refurbs known for problems?

5. Covington macrumors member

the middle of nowhere ... well, close enough
    I'd definitely get it.

It's better than having the refurb fail on you when your warranty runs out.

6. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Wait out the time... Decide before the year is up..

7. lfielder06 Guest

I would wait until your original warranty is almost up. Then it wont seem as bad. For a powerbook it is worth it. They cost a lot more than 250 to fix just about anything on it. If one thing breaks and it would have cost you 400 then you saved 150. Apple makes great products but stuff happens and they are not perfect.

8. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

I am not one to buy extended warranties, but I did get applecare with my pbook. Ended up using it in Jan, just short of the three years, for a new logic board (about a $1000 repair).

I think if you plan to keep your computer for 3+ years, go ahead and get it. If not you will still have one year, then plan to buy your new computer when/if you have a major problem.

9. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I just bought a new 15" PowerBook but I didn't buy Applecare with it at the time of purchase. However, I will buy it before the one year warranty expires.

10. howyoudoin macrumors member

very important

I purchased a powerbook in september 2003 and purchased the apple care plan. Since then I've had to send it twice for a lcd replacement. A new keyboard, and a new connector for the power cord. (this wasn't a refurb model). I'm glad to say I had the apple care plan cause god knows what it would have cost if I didn't have the plan

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For under $300 you have piece of mind. I would get it without even thinking about it. I do not have it, but my PB is about 3 weeks old. I am still under my 90 days of tech support w/phone and then well within my 1 year. I intend to buy apple care in August, that is because many of my families birthdays are over and I can drop the $300 without feeling like I am taking away from their gifts.

12. minesgeek macrumors member

so i agree with everyone else...it is worth it.

i have had no problems with my pb (coming up on 1 year) but i have had the piece of mind that i don't have to worry about the ticking clock of the short warranty that comes std.

you can wait if you don't have money now but i would plan on getting it. it is difficult to know whether you are getting what most people are getting (great quality product), or not.

i have a great friend who recently had an ipod go down not but 3 days after the 1 yr anniversary of purchase. you don't want to be him in this story substituting a pb for an ipod...

13. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Absolutely totally worth it.

I have a 12" powerbook that I'm using RIGHT NOW :eek: :eek: :eek: and I bought the extended warranty for it a day before it was up (being a poor student n all) - except that it didn't ship for ages... So I had to call up Apple and this great Irish chap sorted it all out for me! Anyway, the moral of the story is, get AppleCare but get it slightly sooner than one day before the warranty expires!

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that it's more important on a laptop. My wife has had her 15" repaired several times.

15. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

It seems like a little known fact, but the price for a PowerBook's AppleCare includes the extended coverage for any external Apple display if you purchase them both at the same time.

This applies to the Power- series and the Mini, but not the i- series, Macs. That partly explains why PowerMacs' and PowerBooks' AppleCare costs more than iMacs and iBooks.

16. ocellnuri macrumors regular

Applecare on a Laptop just makes sense to me. I went ahead and factored the cost of Applecare into the cost of my Powerbook when I was budgeting for the purchase. I agree that if you plan on having the Powerbook for more than a year, Applecare has a great potential to save you serious money in the future.