Is Apple Care still worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yuy, Jun 7, 2005.

1. yuy macrumors member

I am goona buy power book 15inch even after the switch,

but I am wondering whether the Apple Care still worth after the switch? The PPC macs will be less and less produced, and I suppose the support for them will vanish in the end?

So should I buy the Apple care with power book? Is the probability of hardware failure big enough to buy the Apple care? :confused:

2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Get it! Apple's not going to drop support on the current lineup for years to come. Also, the Intel based Macs won't be available until your Apple Care is almost over with anyways.

3. yuy thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, thanks.

For me, switching to macs is to adopt a easy life style. :)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Don't worry about the Intel stuff, but on the subject of AppleCare, I wouldn't bother. I figure the Mac's niggles really should be ironed out after the first year. Having said that, please don't come bashing down my door with a mashed PowerBook one day after the standard warranty runs out. :p

5. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

An extended warranty on a laptop, i think, is a must. You never know what could happen. Just because apple is switching to intel doesn't mean that they are going to forget about all their other machines.

6. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Will you be able to afford to fix the computer or even replace it in a worst case scenario? If not, get Applecare.

PPC support will not go away. For all we know, there will still be PPCs for sale when your Apple Care runs out. Even if there aren't, it's not as if the Apple people will forget how to give your computer support.

Beyond that, it makes no difference what the processor of choice is.

7. itsbetteronamac macrumors regular

I would definatly get apple care... especially with a notebook computer. There are lots of this that can go wrong on a notebook.... alot more than a desktop. Also, in my experience computers are like cars, things tend to go wrong the older they are. That said, I had a lot more problems with my computer after the first year, than I did during the first year. I thank god I had apple care.... other wise one thing that had to be done would have cost me $800!

8. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Yes yes yes yes and so yes.

I just had my hard drive die in my 12". It sucks so much $200 for a new drive, $130 for a new keyboard (i screwed it up while putting in the drive), and I had to buy a $40 dermal tool because i striped a screw. I'm still in the process of putting things back togther...