Is Apple Care worldwide???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pauld, Feb 18, 2004.

1. pauld macrumors regular

If i was to buy a powerbook from a U.S website and sent to London would the Applecare still apply?

The exchange rate is crazy at the moment!

thanks a lot.

2. pauld thread starter macrumors regular

Also if anyone knows of any good US based sites to buy from that would be very useful.

thanks a lot.

3. Doraemon macrumors 6502

AppleCare applies world wide. So, I guess it shouldn't be a problem.

4. kos macrumors newbie

I was thinkin of doing that but wouldnt you get taxed unless you flew over yourself and discarded the packaging?

5. pauld thread starter macrumors regular

really?
    I have absolutely no idea?

maybe some kind person can answer that for us too.

6. iGav macrumors G3

customs are wise to this... if they even suspect that you're trying to circumvent VAT etc, they'll hit you hard...

7. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

If you can find any international seller - pls post it. I haven't found any that ships Apple stuff to Europe/ Germany in my case. But if so it should be possible to buy it tax free in the US and then pay the customs+tax here which is still cheaper.

8. d-fi macrumors member

I'm fairly sure in order for someone to sell apple equipment they have to agree only to sell within the country they are based. I've looked around too to see if i could get new Apple gear from other places and they all only seem to ship within their own country.

For example macwarehouse.co.nz only will ship within New Zealand and the same seems to be true of all of apple's online stores apple.com apple.ca apple.com.au and so on every site i've ever seen does not seem to ship overseas.

Although i don't think used Equipment is a problem.

d-fi

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    if you have it sent via the post or fedex and customs gets wind of it they will probably tax you,

your best bet is to have it flown over with a friend or relative coming from the states, taken out of its packaging already placed in a carrying bag and act as if they had it from the start.

10. thepigstye macrumors newbie

Left behind

If you have a friend over there willing to send it, he can just add a note to the inside saying you left it behind the last time you were over. Technically they can't charge you for something you apparently already own. And when you send something over-seas they ask you what's in it, so that it can be written on the envelope.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, I've imported an iBook from the US to NZ.

First off, the warranty. Apple's portable products have an international warranty. Desktops don't, unless you buy the AppleCare Protection Plan.

As for tax, yes, I was taxed for my iBook. I received a bill from Airborne Express for the tax, I paid them, and they paid the Government. The tax took me by surprise - I didn't know that tax was payable on imports. It turns out that under NZ law, if you import something worth over NZ$450, you have to pay tax on it. I guess other countries have a similar system.

And before you ask, the reseller I bought it from no longer sells outside the US :(

12. kos macrumors newbie

Why not fly over it very cheap i seen hoildays to new york for £300!

13. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Left behind

if they get sus, they'll want proof of purchase and ownership...

messing about with customs is not something I recommend doing.

14. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Actually thats not strictly true

Applecare only applies Worldwide for portable equipment, which is defined as a system that can function independently of a mains connection.

If you are talking about a powerbook, ibook or ipod, you're fine. (Of course you have to weigh up the risk of smuggling the item past customs when you return to your home country against the cost of VAT/Import tax that would be imposed otherwise)

If you are talking about a powermac or display unit then applecare support will only apply within the country it was purchased in, determined by your receipt.

Vanilla