Is Apple customer service always this RUDE?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CubeHacker, Mar 7, 2004.

1. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2003
    Wow, I don't think i've ever been this appalled before. I called up the Apple Store cause I had some questions about one of their products. The CS took out a minute to get the info I wanted. I thanked him for his help, and he asked if i'd like to order it. I said that I would have to think about it, and i'd order it online when I was ready. He insisted that I order it through him, because he went through "all that trouble" to help me out. I said that I was at work and I didn't have my credit card to order, but i'd be sure to order it once I got home. He replied, and I quote "Goodbye, and thanks for wasting my time". I've gotten better treatment from telemarketers that i've cursed out for calling my home late at night. Apple might make great computers, but I really don't think I want to do business with such an unprofessional company.
  2. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Woah! I've had them that pushy before, but who in sales isn't? But never like that! Quite outrageous!

That's exactly how I behave, which is why I don't work on the frontline with the public.
  3. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    You're right, thats is very rude, but I don't think that is very typical of Apple. They tend to be very friendly. Did you happen to get the guy's name? Try getting a hold of the supervisor and telling him about this...
  4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    definitely out the ordinary judging from all of my experiences with apple's telephone people... :confused:
  5. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    Ever see the movie "Walking Tall"? You got to get a 2x4 and go down there and clean house. Then tear off your shirt and howl at the top of your lungs. Then jump around like a crazed rabbit.
  6. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2001
    In one word...?

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    I had a support techie at Apple pretty much call me a liar, and/or an idiot. I was not amused. I was at work, so I couldn't really start screaming, but i took a little attitude of my own and just dealt with him. fortunately the rest of my experience with that support issue was great, so i think it was just a fluke.

If you have his name, i can suggest a couple of methods of filing a complaint. The odds are good that a guy like this hasn't escaped previous complaints. One like this could get him fired.

8. beefcake macrumors 6502

Jun 22, 2003
    I'd say out of 5 CS employees, 1 will be incredibly nice and helpful, 1 will make you want to strangle him to death, and the other 3 will be moderately helpful and not really sway your opinion either way.
  9. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    You have a "chance diet" probability of getting a self-righteous and/or unknowledgeable person over the phone, vs. a curteous and helpful person. Although I bet the "bad" workers don't give consumers that feeling of an unwelcoming environment when speaking to them in person. So that's why I say it's a chance diet if you call over to the CS.

Then again, one could just take a chance diet by tipping the table towards one's open mouth...
  10. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    If you are going to order online how has it been a waste of time? Apple still get their money which inturn he gets paid, so what if he doesn't till it in personally, he's still done his job and should be satisfied that somebody is going to buy the item. To get really nitpicky, why waste his time further by ordering it with him anyway if he is so busy?
  11. thinkofthestars macrumors member

Feb 17, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Obviously, the guy is working on commission. Maybe sales have been low for him and he really needed to make a sale. This, of course, doesn't give him the right to be rude, but I assume that's why he said it. If she didn't order it through him, he wouldn't get recognition for making a sale. It's something any customer service guy would get irritated over. Again, though, this doesn't condone his actions.
  12. Stolid macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Same thoughts I had; I don't remember who it was but I remember once I had to call and they said "By the way, I hope I've if you order it online later I'd appreciate it if you put my name, (gave name) on the form" -- and when I ordered there was a field right there asking if I'd been helped and I could say yes I knew they'd get their commision. I think it prevents this sort of thing and I really appreciated it as I always feel bad because I call with questions before I'm ready to order and want to give the helpful tech/CS person their commision if they deserve it.
  13. Gambuchi macrumors member

Nov 15, 2003
    Badddddd Apple??

I don't think "all" Apple company is as rude so to judge the entire company by one experience would be ludicrus...

Wow, I don't think i've ever been this appalled before. I called up the Apple Store cause I had some questions about one of their products.
  14. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    hmm that is an awful story. are apple call center employees are on commission when they take calls? anybody know? if they are i could understand them wanting the sale, but to be rude that is not acceptable. when i was in high school i worked in a call center and took inbound calls to take orders. it was a lame and stressful job, but there is always the next call to make a sale. if they are rude to you, ask them nicely to speak with their manager and explain that you felt that the employee you spoke with was rude.
  15. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Apple call center employees are not on commission, in fact they rarely make sales. If you are talking about apple sales employees, yeah they do as far as I know.
  16. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I've only called Apple (Australia) once, and didn't have any problems whatsoever. The guy was helpful.
  17. CubeHacker thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2003
    I called back today, and got a much nicer person to talk to. I am 100% sure they all aren't that rude. But considering that there is a chance their conversation is being recorded, I don't understand why he would take a chance and respond like that. Not to mention that one person like that can help tarnish the image of an entire company.

When he replied about me wasting his time, I actually took a double take - i thought he was going to say something like "Thanks for taking your time to call". Boy was I shocked when he said I wasted his time and he hung up on me.