Is Apple definitely NOT selling CDs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by savar, May 2, 2005.

1. savar macrumors 68000

savar

This really irks me. My machine is only 3 1/2 years old. It meets the "System Requirements" listed on http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs. But I can't purchase a copy of Tiger that will install on my machine because I only have a CD-RW drive. I can understand not selling CDs in stores, but for Pete's sake why can't I buy Tiger on CDs from the on-line Apple store?? I would even pay the $10 extra for CDs, since there's more material and more weight (although I would guess 3-4 CDs is still cheaper to press than one dual-layer DVD). I just think its absurd to have to wait several weeks to get this when it should be as easy as just walking down to the campus store.

Are there any other online stores that offer the CD package? This is almost enough to make me not upgrade, except that I graduate from college in two weeks and I save $50 by purchasing before then.

I saw the post about installing from the DVD, but my only access to a mac is in a computer lab and I don't think I can install over the network, right? Also, my 1G iPod got stolen recently so I can't go that route I guess.

^frustrated^

2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

as stated 18 hundred times now. no they only offer a DVD retail box. if you want cd's you do the media exchange program + $10 and they will mail you CD's in exchange for your DVD. face it, CD is old shoe, it's much easier to just ship 1 package that has a dvd in it than 5 CD's not to mention easier to install that way. You can install off any machine at school if you have a firewire cable .. ask your lab attendant if they'll allow you to do it. then jsut order your firewire cable with tiger.. or get it at the local apple store. .they're $15