Is Apple just setting us up for a PDA or what.

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by mystixman, Aug 11, 2002.

1. mystixman macrumors regular

Aug 11, 2002
    I mean, with things like .Mac, the bluetooth capabilities, the ever growing features of iPod, and the patent for iPhone, I think Apple is just setting up their stuff for a PDA release. The PDA will probably have wireless internet ( 802.11b and GSM ), a built in phone, a color touch screen with voice and handwriting recognition. Access to GPS satellites for Maps and whatnot, also it would contain a nice hardrive. Maybe running a small version of Mac os X. What do you guys think, and also what would you like on the PDA itself?
  2. graydecember macrumors member

Jan 2, 2002
    has anyone seen one of these? will need to come out with something cooler than this:

...which is designed by ex-TiBook designers. Two cavaets though: 1) it is WinXP only 2)it isn't a phone. But this, when introduced *will be* the best handheld device, unless Apple can do something also very sexy, add a phone in there somewhere, and have Newton HW recognition.

The form factor can't get much smaller than this, though, considering all the excellent features.

The trick is, that SJ said there would never be an Apple branded *PDA*- well, a Handheld with this much power is no longer only a PDA, it is device with the power of a complete desktop system circa >2 years ago. Apple should make one of these, *if* they can make something as good or better than the OQO.

I would rather have a powerPDA than a desktop or laptop (hook up a mike and do realtime, uncompressed recordings, have a portable FW drive- 802.11*-etc.). I would pay ~$1000 for such a device.

(maybe if we beg, reeeaaal hard)
  3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    According to what I've heard, Steve Jobs himself has dismissed the idea of the PDA. He thinks that the PDA and cell phone as we know them today will merge into one. I do think Apple has the potential to make a great PDA, but if I had the choice of carrying an Apple PDA and a separate cell phone along with me vs. carrying a non-Apple PDA/cell combo, I would probably choose the latter for convenience reasons.

Technically, I don't think OS X would be very pleasant on a tiny little embedded PowerPC. It's slow enough on a much faster G3. Apple would almost certainly have to develop a partially incompatible OS, as Microsoft has done with WinCE. And then they would have to compete head-to-head with Sony, Hpaq, Toshiba, Palm, and all the other very strong PDA makers.

Knowing all this, I think I would rather Apple not waste the immense resources. I'd rather those resources were spent on getting and keeping the Mac platform ahead of the curve.

4. Quark macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2002
    Not a PDA... but under another name

Steve Jobs has a history of stating things using very specific words.

In Apple's eyes (ie SJ), the PDA's potential has never been realized and will never be realized as a PDA.

Therefore, whatever Apple comes up with, will be an evolutionary step and have a different acronym.

The facts are clear, they will produce a device that will utilize all the Synchronizing stuff they've developed. SyncML/iSync, Bluetooth, really small hard drives (from toshiba or another manufacturer), .Mac, iCal, new Address book, InkWell, and several other standard and non-standard technologies built into Jaguar.

They clearly have built an incredible foundation for "something wonderful".

Also, note that they added the Palm PDA to the Digital Devices (MacWorld Keynote). Steve Jobs added it very quickly and just passed right over it. In fact, you'll note that he DIDN'T show the settings for PDA in iSync. Why? Probably because he didn't want to push the Palm -- or draw attention to it. The big push was mainly for the new phone.

So what will the new device be called and what will it be capable of? That is the question. It will not be a PDA - because it will have a little hard drive, wireless connectivity, legendary Apple design and ease of use -- it's a whole new category.

Camera, phone, recorder, video conferencing, incredible storage, incredible speed, digital books (iRead-or something like that), speech recognition(?very questionable?), handwriting recognition, Rendezvous connectivity, file sharing (iTunes), and probably somethings we haven't thought of.

Most of this is very possible with their current technology, save one - video conferencing, but iChat appears to have something that might account for that in the future. And the digital books could benefit from a new iApp -- and it would really take off for people that want to take several books on a trip or vacation, but don't want to lug around all weight.

The last thing I'll mention is that the OS will be something specifically for the device and probably not based directly on OS X. Although, they have can easily come up with a BSD Unix based and simplified GUI. Heck, it could even be it's own type of iApp running directly on top of Unix - integrated everything.

My 2 cents.

5. JordanShapiro macrumors member

Jul 17, 2002
    PDA... just look at 10.2!

Come on people, use some foresight! They are SETTING up 10.2 to work with a great Apple PDA. Inkwell - who the hell uses handwriting recognition on a desktop? Not I! Rendezvous... perfect network syncing with your desktop. iCal... perfect calandering that automatically goes right to the PDA. iTunes Sync. Bluetooth.

It all makes sense... you can run Unix on a small chip and apple will implement it. 10.2 sets up the foundation for those technologies!
  6. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I agree with all of this evidence

If this device were to have a phone included, then why did they bring Sony Erriccson along for the ride???

In addition....when do you guys see this thing coming out? Are those weird Advertisement rumors (involving janitors) true?
  7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    There is no doubt Apple could make a PDA thats the best out there. (Lets face it... If Apple makes it, its the best). But i highly doubt they will release a PDA because its hard to make a proffit in that industry right now. I wouldnt be the least bit suprised if Apple started making next gen cell phones though... and i would be even less suprised if future powerbooks had built in cell phone like hardware
  8. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    If that thing was done by ex-TiBook designers then I wonder why it is so flippin ugly :) The website has been up for a while, can you buy them yet? Even though the technology is cool the device is bulky and probably heavy (didn't see the weigh :))

9. loicl macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2002
    france (orsay)
    Re: PDA... just look at 10.2!

maybe it s for a tablet, simply.
  10. P-Worm macrumors 68020

Jul 16, 2002
    Salt Lake City, UT
    "Camera, phone, recorder, video conferencing, incredible storage, incredible speed, digital books (iRead-or something like that), speech recognition(?very questionable?), handwriting recognition, Rendezvous connectivity, file sharing (iTunes), and probably somethings we haven't thought of."

You're theory of voice recognition intreagues me. Why? Because of the rumor of IBM and Apple joining forces. We all know that IBM is theleader in voice recognition.

Personally, I think that combining IBM and Apple together would be great because they are the only companies that are willing to try new things.
  11. djniche macrumors regular

Apr 10, 2002
    I'm waiting for a device like this and I agree that it will not be only a pda but a new device with it's own category.

most of jaguar's new features point to this new device coming soon.

I will like to have a device that combines phone, pda and digital camera all in one excellent design package. A la ipod!

3 or 4 megapixels camera
    voice recognition phone
    mac OS X portable version
    5g / 10g/ 20g hard drives
    bluetooth, firewire, rendevous capable

I can see all of the above specs brought in a future apple device. Very capable with all the new jaguar specs. I would buy it for sure.
  12. Silver Dragon macrumors member

May 7, 2002
    My personal favorite PDA (not quite released yet... Next month I think) is the Sony Ericsson P800. It's the T68i on steroids.

It has all the PDA features you would want, phone features, bluetooth, a built in digital camera, a screen with millions of colors, can run JAVA applications, full web browser, and handwriting recognition.

I still have my Newton 2100, but when this phone comes out, I will be replacing my Newton once and for all. One device, many functions... And iSync. Freaking cool!

13. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    it's strange that eye hasn't posted here yet... very strange...
  14. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Keep in mind here:

Apple is NOT focussed on making the coolest Geek-toy. Much as I'm sure some of you will argue this point, Apple is focussed on making technology LESS intimidating and LESS complicated. Combining all these devices into one device would have not only a disgusting pricetag and bulk (5+Lb.) but cost WAY too much to sell alongside things like iBook.

I find it far more likely that Apple's laptops will begin to look and act more like handheld computers. People won't spent $3k+ on a laptop and then another 400 on an ipod and say another 800 for a PDA. That's just silly. I think, however they'd be willing to add a GPRS card to their TiBook. Cellphones are small enough that the functional components could easily fit in a PCMCIA card. Say Apple's alliance with Sony/Erricson results in additional features like cellular web acces for the TiBook built in and a little bluetooth headset and keypad that use the Ti as a phone.

BTW: SJ has said explicitly several times:" There will be no Apple PDA."
  15. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2001
    Re: PDA... just look at 10.2!

It's been said numerous amounts of times that there will be no Apple PDA. Steve Jobs said that all these technologies would be used for new cellphones on the market. If Apple decides to make a cell phone is still unsure.... The most definate thing we know is that Apple will not be making a pda.
  16. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2001
    He's gone through this too many times. He probably sees the letters, PDA, then goes to the next thread.