is apple making a mistake?

Discussion in 'Community' started by njmac, Dec 14, 2004.

1. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

2. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Bunch of BS. Bah, I'm not even going to elaborate.

3. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

you know, I find this kind of press disturbing because this guy runs an EXTREMELY biased (pro-mac) magazine. tons of pc bashing in every issue. I don't get it...anybody get it?

4. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

i've actually been wondering for a very long time (since rhapsody came out) why apple didn't want the iPod compatible with everything, as they have always claimed that the itunes store is to sell ipods, not make money directly.
    i can understand them getting mad for the reverse engineering, as they weren't getting paid licensing fees that they could get, but why didnt they accept the original offers (unless real was just intent on screwing apple).

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, Apple claimed that iTMS was around to sell iPods, but who cares what they "say", especially when it was so long ago? They saw iTMS become the standard in selling digital music, saw that sales were quite good, saw more potential than they probably thought was possible, and now they want to make money from it. Its not just to boost iPod sales. What Apple said a long time ago isn't relevent today. It's obvious that it's not what they think, just by looking at their actions. Forget what they said. They want to be the only store feeding people's iPods. A bit Microsoft or Sony-esque of them, but hey, they're a business out to make money.

6. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

All i have to say is that article makes one really desire core image bye bye ibook

7. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I fail to understand why he's complaining about Apple competing with Adobe. Isn't competition good? Seems like Adobe pulled Premiere out of the Mac platform because Final Cut was sooo much better (in my opinion). Shame on you Apple for designing superior software, next time allow Adobe to have its fun while giving the consumer less than the best. As for Tiger building filters into the OS, isn't this the type of thing we're always asking for?

As far as the Real/Apple contraversy. First off, 4 cents per download sure has added up, hasn't it? Second, Apple is right to spank Real for hacking. However, in the long run, I should think it would be good for Apple to make the iPod as consumer-friendly as possible.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Now that I read the article again and less rushed, I think he's more right than wrong on many points.

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

You have to admit though that Apple does make the best Video editing applications application at present. :)

You have to admit that the iPod is not entirely locked if you want to use iTMS that is your choice you can still buy, rip CD's or buy mp3 formate from other online stores. :)

Core Image is also scalable all that means is that some features some might not. Take Quartz Extreme same deal fast user switching works however it scales back if you do not have a supported card with less jazz (3D cube etc). :)

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

If you have read anything about Core Image you will lean that it is scalable.

Same as with Quartz Extreme. :)

Somethings will work some things might not, you will get the fancy effects in lets say as per this article in a word document however you might not be able to do the same effects with video since video might be a limiting factor if you do not have a supporting card.

Also the waves and or ripples with dashboard might not appear if you do not have a supporting card. Again its too early to tell in regards to Core Image to know how much a user will be affected or what is possible to a user with a GPU that is not supported. :)

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I don't think the writer has actually used both FCP and Premiere, if they did they will know as to why FCP is so much better and why Adobe dropped the product all together.

Premiere in its last version had some problems and Adobe tried to fix it however it was too much too late and lack of support and innovating at a rapid pace is what killed Premiere not FCP.

If Motion does the same for AE so be it, why is this writer complaining, maybe Adobe has gave him a helping hand. ;) :)

REAL well that is a lost cause he failed to mention buying and ripping your own CD's or choosing the mp3 formate from other online stores. Apple is not pointing a gun to your head to buy content from they stores you as a consumer makes that choice if Apple promotes it well they are a business and that is what a business does right.

This write has a skewed view on some of Apples ways.

In regards to the indie Apple resellers well, that is tough indeed however Dell also has they online stores and not really a store however a computer booth in malls to promote and sell they products that is far worse it looks rather cheap IMHO. A store is a better bet though a bit expensive it well worth it. Product awareness. :)

I have noticed that Yes Apples is trying to pull most major development inwards since when Apple was making the switch to OS X many companies were either slow to migrate or not willing to this made Apple think that if they can make as good if not a better product so it runs on they latest OS and optimized for all they hardware so why not, other companies had lack if support for the Vel-Engine and so forth.

Can you imagine one day Apple might own the Video, Audio and maybe Imaging markets with maybe an Office thrown in there they would be the supplier for Apple hardware and software. CRAZY. :)

12. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I thought that Core Image and Core Video will still be usable on a non-supported video card but the work would be done on the CPU. So Apps that use that API will still work.

Also I would think that the next version of Photoshop will be able to take advantage of those features. Nobody buys Photoshop for just those features anyways. It's for compatibility and work flow and experience with using the product.

I expect Apple will eventually open up to select partners like they did with HP. For example, someday IBM may be allowed to use Mac OS X with a entirely new PC line. Maybe even HP later on.

Apple can't be profitable opening up Mac OS X to everyone nowdays with only 2% marketshare. It would have to be with select partners and the marketshare needs to be bigger.

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I think he's looking at the situation purely from a business point of view, rather than a consumer one - and whether he's right or wrong will depend on which you are.

If you're in the business of video editing/image production/music production, then some of Apple's integration of effects into the OS and discouraging the Adobes of this world out of the marketplace. If that happens, will these businesses stop using Macs and move to PCs since that's where the skills of the designers will lie? Or on the positive side, will the Apple software become the industry standard and more businesses will use Macs?

From a consumer point of view, Core Image has to be a marvellous thing. Why should a consumer who might only want to use a Gaussian blur once a year while making Christmas cards have to fork out for Photoshop when they can have it built in? Being able to show off these features makes the Mac even more appealing to the consumer market - and that's where I think Apple have decided that their chance to grow market share lies.

14. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

Well , I forgot to mention that this author is also President of NAPP. National Assosiation of Photoshop Proffesionals. NAPP But on the other hand his clear platform of choice is the mac , check out his book: Macintosh the Naked Truth

also these books

does this guy need to choose his allegience and he is siding so far with Adobe? Still doesn't make sense to me. his past monthly articles are somewhat interesting, and mostly pro mac

15. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

myself? I think this is crap. OK Apple makes apps better than anyone else, thats why I love them. Keep bringin' it on. I just think when champions of Apple change their mind (even if its obviously business related) that it will hurt mac users in the end. Maybe someone more eloquent and persuasive than I am can email him and set him straight ;)

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I understand where he is coming from. I don't agree with everything he says, but he does make some valid points.

On the flip side, I think that I see why Apple is doing what they are. Apple needs to protect its market areas. When third party folks do not support the Mac platform like they do other platforms such as Windows, then Apple gets hurt.

Apple makes money by selling hardware, not software. It is the software which lures new and keeps existing customers. Apple has to ensure that the Mac OS is the best and that there are plenty of creative multimedia apps available in case no one else does. This is especially true with the smaller market share that Apple enjoys.

As for the iPod, Apple is trying to set a standard. Protected ACC is where they want to go. Most of the industry is supporting MP3. Then you have MSFT competing with WMA and REAL with their idea. Apple wants to prevail in this market and I sure hope they do because of the ease of integration.

A long time ago, Apple tried the clone business. A day late and a dollar short by most accounts. Unfortunately, the clone market hurt Apple sales. It almost killed Apple. The clone makers had the benefit of Apple's research arm but did not have to pay for it. Thus they could be much more profitable at a lower pricing structure. Unlike the PC industry where there are numerous companies to share the wealth and burden of development, Apple basically goes it alone. They have to recoup their costs and still make a profit.

But keeping the iPod proprietary until the market develops, they are growing their market share along with growing the market. If they hit the flash player portion, this will only increase their sales along with name/brand recognition. (On a personal note, I sure hope that Apple does not miss this market). Then when they are strong Apple can license more to other companies to really spread the market and ensure their place. Right now, IMHO, it is too early to do this. Why support another standard if it is not going to catch. Better now to put one's eggs into their own basket to develop their own market. Later the iPod can support other stores.

Anyhow, my .02!

Sushi

17. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Apple only wants Protected AAC as the standard for legal downloads. Sure, tunes get ripped to unprotected AAC by default in iTunes (and Apple is promoting AAC since they had a hand in its development, but AAC is also better quality than a comparable MP3), but you can still choose to rip to MP3 if you want. Apple has not removed this ability from iTunes. Most of the (playback) industry is supporting MP3, unless it comes to legal downloads, since MP3 does not include DRM. The record labels are not supporting any one standard; maybe a very bold move for them would be to.

18. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Competition is bad?

Before Apple came along, Adobe ruled many of these markets (or at least were one of two of the main choices). Now that Apple releases their own competing products, he accuses them of driving Adobe out of those markets. Isn't that Adobe's fault (and not Apple's) for choosing to pack up camp and leave rather than compete?

19. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

it's not about whose fault it is. problem is that if apple starts to dominate Mac software, Adobe will simply abandon the Mac platform (instead of competing and making better products) and - here's the important point - Mac as a platform will live or die with apple and apple alone. that's an extremely dangerous situation to be in.

apple, as the maker of Mac, obviously has an interest in maintaining the Mac platform. such incentive doesn't exist for Adobe. "competition" is good as long as parties involved see the benefit of competiting. otherwise, they'll leave. instead of competiting, now the market is simply going to be marginalized because there's no one interested in it other than apple.

20. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

No, Apple is doing just fine, hopefully in the near future they will reinvent their productivity software so that it is as good as all of the other software offered.

21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Was there any competition for iMovie? Nope.
    For FCE? No.
    For Final Cut Pro? Yes. But FCP just beat Premiere a million to one. FCP has become the best software to use on the Mac. Premiere was starting to loose its abilities while FCP gained them.

Photoshop is not going to go away. Period. In fact, this might make it even easier and faster on the Mac then on the PC. Imagine that! Instead of this being a bad thing, Photoshop may become more powerful with the built in stuff now. :eek: What a great idea! :D

22. atif.muhammad macrumors member

i think this guy has a very good point(s).
    the only reason macs are said to be 'virus-free' and all that amazing is because so few people use it. if the same percentage of people who use Windows were using either Linux or Mac, they might find that all 3 OSes have loads of errors on them
    and its not like the Mac is error free is it?
    the mac is virus free because hardly anyone uses them. most people uses crappy PCs. the mac is spyware and adware free because hardly anyone uses macs. the same with linux
    hackers gain more by damaging PCs rather than Macs or Linux machines because more people use PCs(Windows)
    its true isnt it?

23. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Apple's lifeline is the iPod right now. They need to expand their Mac brand or they'll be dead in the end.

The AAC strategy is going to fail them like a Betamax lesson if they stick to it.

Expecting them to come up with another "next big thing" is unreasonable and unfounded. I think I'd sell after the holiday season or right after MacWorld if the flashPod doesn't completely rock in terms of fashion and price...

24. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i wouldn't say apple is in any imminent danger of a collapse. a company with no debt, sizable IP and R&D investments (and cash reserve) and a small but loyal customer base isn't gonna just die one day, even after series of mistakes.

in the long run, apple would be better served by making their platform as widely viable as possible and this writer was commenting on how apple is doing the opposite, alienating 3rd party develpers, resellers, etc.. i tend to agree. he's not saying "apple sucks and it's gonna die tomorrow!!!!" if that's all you can read from the article, then you got some serious mac zealocy going there. :D

25. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

But his points don't jibe. He starts talking about the OS which wasn't licensed, then his point morphs into "go-it-alone" applications. Make no sense.